Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps Eating/Killing Caterpillars?

• 31-08-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a lot of wasps swarming around my brassicas lately and I've seen a wasp attacking a caterpillar. I've heard of the parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on caterpillars, which then kill the host, but these look like your average wasp. Is this normal? Do you think I should lift off the netting and let them off? I've been in a constant battle with caterpillars this summer despite crushing eggs vigilantly. The fingers of my gloves are green from squishing grubs! Any idea when the laying season of the white butterfly ends?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

livinsane wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of wasps swarming around my brassicas lately and I've seen a wasp attacking a caterpillar. I've heard of the parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on caterpillars, which then kill the host, but these look like your average wasp. Is this normal? Do you think I should lift off the netting and let them off? I've been in a constant battle with caterpillars this summer despite crushing eggs vigilantly. The fingers of my gloves are green from squishing grubs! Any idea when the laying season of the white butterfly ends?

As far as I know and from previous experience, the laying season could continue through September if the weather is good. For some reason, this year was not a bad year for me as far as caterpillars are concerned, I have alot of brassicas and did not even need to net them this year. I do check and crush the eggs etc. but it was the exception rather than the rule this year - last year was the complete opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

This is my first year doing more than Brussels sprouts. I've probably too many plants but I'll freeze a lot. Between slugs, aphids and caterpillars, you'd be kept going keeping down the pest population. So far the broccoli I've eaten has convinced me it's worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

livinsane wrote: »
    This is my first year doing more than Brussels sprouts. I've probably too many plants but I'll freeze a lot. Between slugs, aphids and caterpillars, you'd be kept going keeping down the pest population. So far the broccoli I've eaten has convinced me it's worth the hassle.

Definitely, broccoli is worth all the hassle. I have approximately 90 plants, most of which I expect to freeze as it freezes very well. I usually sow it pretty late, have been doing so for a good number of years now and usually harvest mid to late September, all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

I would say that these are hoverflies and not wasps, they'll be eating the aphids - up to 250 a day apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

keltoms05 wrote: »
    I would say that these are hoverflies and not wasps, they'll be eating the aphids - up to 250 a day apparently!

I have lots of hoverflies in the garden so great news that they are beneficial but these are definitely wasps. Big guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement