Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

jive wrote: »
    Cost them when it mattered, and not just with the 1 kickout

Going short set up a lot of Donegal attacks, but he didn't have any options in the second half short, so had to go long where Kerry got the breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

O Donhoue rolling around pretending he is injured is just as bad

Kerry not new to that sh*t either. Aidan o mahony started the ball rolling years ago.

Barry John Keane should feel priviliged to be on that field on such an occasion besides pulling one of the most unsporting strokes in finals history. Never seen such a token bit player hang to a spot in a squad as long as this lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Kerry bring themselves down to Donegal's level to win All Ireland. Hopefully this is not the future of Kerry style football.

A game that won't live in the memory outside of Kerry.

Id imagine all of the non-Kerry folk are looking at the tellies now with faces akin to Mrs Doyle and the other Craggy Islanders after Ted and Dougal winning the raffle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Donaghy is one unlikeable person. From his annoying voice to his antics and goading of other players to his stupid comments against someone in the media to him being called "Star" by idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Seems you cant criticise Donaghy for his lack of class on this thread. Ill say no more. At least Brolly has a bit of wit and intelligence in his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

:eek:

Sush... on the phone and also hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Donaghys swipe at Brolly was pathetic. What a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It was a scrappy game but that's how to beat Donegal, play them at their own game. It's not easy but the template is there. Same with Dublin in 2011, Mayo may have hammered them last year playing attacking football but that was an injury ravaged Donegal. When you adapt your tactics and implement them well Donegal don't look so invincible, I hope Dublin learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Gooch doing a "John Terry" on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Best team won. Kerry got the match ups right, were that bit cuter, especially the way they used O'Donoghue and Donaghy to draw the Donegal defence away early on. Thought the game had died a slow death in the third quarter, Durcan's howler put paid to that, game opened up when both teams went for it, never looked like a repeat of the 2011 final but that being said McFadden was agonisingly close at the end. Hard luck Donegal, you really picked yourselves up after last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Donaghys swipe at Brolly was pathetic. What a moron.

What was pathetic about it? Beats the usual familar sh*te we hear every other time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

nm wrote: »
    What was pathetic about it? Beats the usual familar sh*te we hear every other time

It was like something you'd hear from a 12 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Jesus only noticed enda kenny was there when fitzmaurice went up, mr fkn charisma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Kerry bring themselves down to Donegal's level to win All Ireland. Hopefully this is not the future of Kerry style football.

You can't put it all down to a negative style of play though. Even the Tyrone team that were supposed to be the pioneers of so-called "puke football" had some fantastic footballers like Sean Cavanagh and Brian Dooher. Likewise this Kerry team (O' Donoghue, Geaney to name just two)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ollaetta wrote: »
    Sour taste at the way this thread is descending into anti Kerry begrudgery. And no, I'm not from Kerry.

I totally agree, the anti Kerry drivel here is unreal, they are winners because they work hard and play smart, get over it keyboard warriors...I'm not from Kerry either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

threeball wrote: »
    Kerry not new to that sh*t either. Aidan o mahony started the ball rolling years ago.

Barry John Keane should feel priviliged to be on that field on such an occasion besides pulling one of the most unsporting strokes in finals history. Never seen such a token bit player hang to a spot in a squad as long as this lad.

Stop talking crap....Every county has players who do things like this so dont be playing the its in Kerrys natures card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kerry deserved it - just! But Jesus that was an awful spectacle. Fascinating tactical battle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Howjoe1 wrote: »

Well Kerry have shown the can adapt to different challenges and play different styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Going short set up a lot of Donegal attacks, but he didn't have any options in the second half short, so had to go long where Kerry got the breaks

His play was awful. Nearly got beat from a 40 metre effort at a point when he was lucky for it to come off the post, left the goal gaping for the opener (not his fault but didn't cover himself in glory either) and floated a few howlers into no mans land during the second half when he did have to go long with the kick outs. Even for Donaghy's goal he went down extremely early.

Michael Murphy and the Kerry backs are the only people who turned up today. I thought Peter Crowley was brilliant, was unspectacular but did everything right. Geaney and McBriarty did well in periods as well.

• Advertisement

Gooch doing a "John Terry" on it..

Hes been on the match squad last 2 games......

Gooch doing a John Terry too

Cormac Reilly and James Horan will be having very different emotions right now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

What a stupid question from Joanne Cantwell to Marc O Sé.

"Are you going to hang around?"

As if he's going to announce something like that 15 minutes after winning an All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

What did Donaghy say about Brolly anyway? My stream cut out just after the final whistle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Football v psychobabble

Football wins. A great day.

Hes been on the match squad last 2 games......

John Terry had to wear a full kit or he couldnt have lifted the trophy (Its a Uefa Rule)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gooch doing a John Terry too

Gooch was injured unfortunately.

Terry got a red in the semi final , so they reached the final despite him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Cormac Reilly and James Horan will be having very different emotions right now :o

One will feel quietly satisfied and the other will be gutted. I'll let you decide which is which ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Kerry won it 'cos of the work they did on pressuring Donegal's kick outs. That was the main difference. Horrible football game. Kerry worked hard stuck to their game plan and beat Donegal in the "puke football" stakes as Pat Spillane might put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Am I the only one who thinks that wagon should be pulled up on asking players right after they've won all ireland medals if they're going to retire? It's pure bad form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You can always tell the character of a man by the manner he celebrates victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

lukin wrote: »
    You can't put it all down to a negative style of play though. Even the Tyrone team that were supposed to be the pioneers of so-called "puke football" had some fantastic footballers like Sean Cavanagh and Brian Dooher. Likewise this Kerry team (O' Donoghue, Geaney to name just two)

Tyrone played great stuff in the 05 and 08 finals. Those finals were a different league to today's match.

What did Donaghy say about Brolly anyway? My stream cut out just after the final whistle

At the end of it when asked about the team being in-transition, he said something like "Joe Brolly said the production line in Kerry was finished, well Joe what do you think of THAT"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Rightwing wrote: »
    I thought Kerry were suppossed to play an attacking style of football. Poor stuff. Pity it's not a Mayo/Dub final.
    Pure rotten game, wish it was the jacks against the mayos instead of these blanket defences and puked football
    seanhynes wrote: »
    The Dublin and Mayo teams will be thinking what could have been
    This is garbage

A mayo vs Dublin final would have been much more entertaining
    Dublin and Mayo are the two best teams in the country. Kerry and Donegal aren't, as evidenced by this spectacle we're being subjected to right now.
    Mayo and Dublin (Mayo in particular) are going to be sick.
    markel wrote: »
    James Horan must be sickened - missed chance :-(

Ah yeah sure why bother playing the championship at all. We should have just penciled Dublin vs Mayo back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

well done to Kerry team and management, proved many doubters wrong.

looking at the presentation here, not sure why Fitzmaurice went up the steps and lifted up the Sam Maguire. That should be for the players only. Seemed like limelight-hogging

also why is Colm Cooper stripped as if he was involved somehow?? he should be in a tracksuit keeping a low profile. John Terry was rightly ridiculed for doing the same thing a few years ago.

a minor point though on a great day for the Kingdom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

"Championies Championies O Way O Way O Way".

Original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

aveytare wrote: »
    Tyrone played great stuff in the 05 and 08 finals. Those finals were a different league to today's match.

Point taken but you do what you have to do to win. Fitzmaurice did that today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stop talking crap....Every county has players who do things like this so dont be playing the its in Kerrys natures card

Ah stop, what BJK did was nothing short of a disgrace. He should hang his head in shame and I'm confident when he sees it back that he will feel the same. I can't remember any player from any county doing that before!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Only Kerry could win an All Ireland while 'in transition' a lot of some counties best teams wouldn't make the Semi's.

Some of Kerry's antics were unsavoury, but like the RTE Soccer panel said during the week, you need some arseholes on your team to grind down your opposition

I would rather be from Kerry and everyone hate me than be from Mayo and everyone feel sorry for me.

Edit: I'm not from Kerry but you know what I mean

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You can always tell the character of a man by the manner he celebrates victory.

All he did was point out they'd proven the naysayers wrong, big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I totally agree, the anti Kerry drivel here is unreal, they are winners because they work hard and play smart, get over it keyboard warriors...I'm not from Kerry either.

I'm not from Kerry or Donegal either. Because of Donegal's anti-football style I was up for Kerry before the match. But is it not ok for me (and others) to say we didn't enjoy the way Kerry played?

my friend wrote: »
    Football v psychobabble

Football wins. A great day.

??? :confused:

Id seriously doubt that. The difference in the end was a goalkeeping error. Kerry seem to be over reliant on the long ball into Donaghy for so called aristocrats. They just about deserve their win but it wasnt for any real brilliance on their part

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

freddiek wrote: »
    well done to Kerry team and management, proved many doubters wrong.

looking at the presentation here, not sure why Fitzmaurice went up the steps and lifted up the Sam Maguire. That should be for the players only. Seemed like limelight-hogging

also why is Colm Cooper stripped as if he was involved somehow?? he should be in a tracksuit keeping a low profile. John Terry was rightly ridiculed for doing the same thing a few years ago.

a minor point though on a great day for the Kingdom.

I think Cooper is perfectly entitled to be there....dressed as he wants to.

He just won an All Ireland. why bother using the interview as a personal attack. Brolly's views were shared by many and may still be true compared to its historic chain of players. Wasnt a personal jibe. Donaghy should enjoy the moment, he wasnt even good today, apart from a class (if lucky) goal

• Advertisement

Only Kerry could win an All Ireland while 'in transition' a lot of some counties best teams wouldn't make the Semi's.

Some of Kerry's antics were unsavoury, but like the RTE Soccer panel said during the week, you need some arseholes on your team to grind down your opposition

I would rather be from Kerry and everyone hate me than be from Mayo and everyone feel sorry for me

Fair point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Declan O'Sullivan has reached the "Scholes Years" - confused looking kid on the shoulders while doing the lap of honour

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Numan

Stopped watching it after 10 minutes, just awful, I despair at the future of football. Roll on the hurling final so I can forget that 10 minutes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Ah yeah sure why bother playing the championship at all. We should have just penciled Dublin vs Mayo back in May.

What's your point? No-one is saying that Mayo v Dublin should have been the final.

Only that they very much could have been. And they will also be rightly kicking themselves looking at the nature of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

freddiek wrote: »

Because he was listed in the subs for the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement