Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

What a stupid question from Joanne Cantwell to Marc O Sé.

"Are you going to hang around?"

As if he's going to announce something like that 15 minutes after winning an All Ireland.

Same thing with McGuinness when he had clearly indicated that they may well stay. Shes some turnip, same question for every losing manager after every game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Some bitterness on here. Donegal dragged Kerry to that level. Kerry won. Deal with it. Woohoo number 37 for us. 37. Thirty Seven. And our 12th minor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

yop wrote: »
    Like everyone felt sorry for sligo and the tan in a can ohora after the last croke park experience...
    .god a sligo gaa fan able to slag any other gaa team lol.

Who's O'Hora :confused:

I'm not slagging Mayo, the general perception on here is that neutrals from other counties want Mayo to win it and they get a lot of sympayhy when they lose, no need to be so sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Some bitterness on here. Donegal dragged Kerry to that level. Kerry won. Deal with it. Woohoo number 37 for us. 37. Thirty Seven. And our 12th minor.

Ye didn't cover yourselves in glory against Mayo either to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Dublin not in the top 4 teams?! :eek:

Man, this forum just continues to surprise me.

They are if you include sponsorship money :D

Ah no, they are certainly in the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    We don't pander to what some so call experts say... Would have been a more mature comment.

Or else say nothing! Brolly plays to his image a bit but is highly articulate in his views and opinions. He is entitled to his opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Dublin not in the top 4 teams?! :eek:

Man, this forum just continues to surprise me.

1. Kerry
    2. Mayo
    3. Cork
    4. Donegal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

threeball wrote: »
    Same thing with McGuinness when he had clearly indicated that they may well stay. Shes some turnip, same question for every losing manager after every game

If Tip win I wonder will she ask Cody....Marty certainly won't!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Kerry are still taking off the gift wrapping off Sam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    1. Kerry
    2. Mayo
    3. Cork
    4. Donegal

Well you can take Cork out of that selection for a start!

• Advertisement

Well you can take Cork out of that selection for a start!

I think Cork would have taken Dublin or Donegal, sure Mayo only beat them by a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

The thing about Mayo is they wouldn't kill their granny's. A good team is a team that would kill their granny's , my chum johnny always says all good teams kill their granny's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I wouldn't have Dublin in my top four, they coasted into a semi-final by playing weak opposition, when they finally came up against serious contenders (Donegal) they crumbled like a sand castle.

Mayo beat who? Kerry beat who?

Dublin beat Monaghan,they are most definitely in the top 4, to claim otherwise is mental.

Anyways this is not for scoring points or any anti/pro Dublin ****e.

Kerry 2014 AIFootball champions, all that matters

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    The thing about Mayo is they wouldn't kill their granny's. A good team is a team that would kill their granny's , my chum johnny always says all good teams kill their granny's .

Welcome to the thread Stephen Ireland

Mayo are slowly moving towards being granny-ready.

Sorry did you say they wouldnt kill their grannys? You should of repeated it for emphasis, you know the thing about killing their grannys. E.g, say that mayo wouldnt kill their grannys! ;-)

I think Cork would have taken Dublin or Donegal, sure Mayo only beat them by a point.

Cork would have beaten Dublin and Donegal....not a hope in hell!!!

Welcome to the thread Stephen Ireland

Ha!

The Cork team that couldnt get out of their half for 18 minutes in the Munster Final. That Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Terrible game, real lack of quality about the match. I agree that it was a sad day for the games biggest spectacle, that there was no memorable moments. Congrats to Kerry and their supporters, they were probably the better team.

It must be a tough time for Durcan right now. Sport can be cruel as he was on for the all-star. He was the difference between the sides, not just because of the mistake, but the kick-out system throughout was a calamity, especially towards the end after the goal. When they needed to get a hold of possession and move forward, they could barely win anything. Once Durcan didn't kick the ball past the 20, which they got away with, while there was also occasions where he kicked it straight to Kerry players. Kerry were able to build more easily from the back, which imo was one of the main differences between the teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

I want what your drinking good sir

Kerry(Tyrone lite) have dropped to that level and won an All Ireland, just like Donegal a few years ago. It looks the way to go. If Spillane has any integrity at all he will acknowledge that puke that was 2014 all ireland Final.

No matter how desperate we are to win i hope the new Mayo management do not inflict that playing style on us. Hopefully Dublin will also bring there attacking style of football to the championship and not copy this dross, they don't need to.

Cork were very much improved in the later stages of the championship when they finally got their sh*t together. They have some fine footballers. You will see next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I can honestly see Ciaran Whelan flooring Joe Brolly some day.

Joe goes on about it being the worst AI Final ever yet to be honest out of the finals in the last 10 years it was better than the 04,06 and 07 finals and on the same level as the final in 09.

In order to have a good game in any sport you either need to have 2 attack minded teams or 1 attack minded team and a counter attacking team.We got 2 teams today who were primarily concerned with defence. If one of Dublin or Mayo go to the final it would have been a much more entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Kerry(Tyrone lite) have dropped to that level and won an All Ireland, just like Donegal a few years ago. It looks the way to go. If Spillane has any integrity at all he will acknowledge that puke that was 2014 all ireland Final.

No matter how desperate we are to win i hope the new Mayo management do not inflict that playing style on us. Hopefully Dublin will also bring there attacking style of football to the championship and not copy this dross, they don't need to.

The attacking style is what lost Dublin the match to Donegal , Kerry would have been stupid to do the same thing.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    The Cork team that couldnt get out of their half for 18 minutes in the Munster Final. That Cork?

You could say the same thing about Donegal who lost to Monaghan in the Ulster final, Donegal seem to spend the majority of every match in their own half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Cork were very much improved in the later stages of the championship when they finally got their sh*t together. They have some fine footballers. You will see next year.

But thats next year. Cork were nowhere near the top 4 teams in the country this year. They were hammered by Kerry. They ran Mayo close but that was probably more related to Mayo taking their foot off the pedal than Cork being particularly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

"puke football" won the 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 AI's. To me it's the way the game is going and it won't stop.

Cuthbert is in charge next year as well, therefore I can guarantee you we will not be at the races next year and Donegal or Dublin will definitely beat us next¡ year...fact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Can people stop mentioning Durcan's kickouts going past the 21 line please?

As was mentioned by the commentator and also on here a few times, the rule has changed. The ball only has to go 13metres with the player being out side the 21 when the kick is made.

Relevant rules....

4.27 For a player taking the kick-out to take the
    ball into his hand(s) before another player has
    played it.
    4.28 To be inside own 20m line when one’s team is
    taking a kickout, except as provided in Rule
    4.29 For another player on the team taking the
    kick-out after a wide to play the ball before it
    has travelled 13m.
    4.30 For a player on the team taking the kick-out
    after a score, other than the player taking the
    kick, to be less than 13m from the ball when it
    is kicked.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    "puke football" won the 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 AI's. To me it's the way the game is going and it won't stop.

Full enforcement of the black card would stop it but the refs are too gutless to give them and the players know it. Very few of the above teams would of won or even got there if the black card was reffed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Depends on the manager. Lots of the Dublin players made their name playing defensive football under Pat Gilroy.

One thing is for certain though. You might not have to go all out defensive to compete but if play as naively as Dublin did in the semi you're handing the game to the opposition.

BTW Kerry have been playing defensively for a while now. They were at it against Dublin in 2011. Seems like people are just noticing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As a Donegal man, I would have loved to see us winning that. But in a way I'm glad too because when I listened to Jimmy's post analyis answers about the annual revaluation, I felt that I could be looking forward to another couple of years of Donegal performances

Joe goes on about it being the worst AI Final ever yet to be honest out of the finals in the last 10 years it was better than the 04,06 and 07 finals and on the same level as the final in 09.

In order to have a good game in any sport you either need to have 2 attack minded teams or 1 attack minded team and a counter attacking team.We got 2 teams today who were primarily concerned with defence. If one of Dublin or Mayo go to the final it would have been a much more entertaining game.

Why would Ciaran Whelan deck him?? What he said is very much what anyone in the country thinks! The watchability and skill level exerted in this final was well below any of the finals you have listed!

8 scores in about 45 minutes at one stage!

2002: Armagh were a really good attacking team and their main tactic was a long diagonal ball into the full forward line, which is basically old fashioned football at its best.

2003: Played defensively from the semi final on but did what they had to do to win their first all ireland.You can't blame them for that.

2005 and 2008: Tyrone were a top class attacking team they were just good defensively as well.

2010; Cork were one of the best attacking teams in the country from 2009 to 2011 they played a man to man marking system for most of Counihans reign they were just very tense in 2010 and managed to fall over the line.

2011: Dublin tightened up considerably and weren't as free flowing as they are now or were before that but they needed to too get over the line.

2012: Donegal played some exceptional football that year and they put up big scores through the whole championship.

You left out 2009, despite Kerry basically shutting up shop for the last 15-20 minutes and closing out the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Full enforcement of the black card would stop it but the refs are too gutless to give them and the players know it. Very few of the above teams would of won or even got there if the black card was reffed correctly.

They don't even enforce the yellow card in the big matches like today. The black card has no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its just like soccer went, lower attacking risk has greater rewards.

corny wrote: »
    Depends on the manager. Lots of the Dublin players made their name playing defensive football under Pat Gilroy.

One thing is for certain though. You might not have to go all out defensive to compete but if play as naively as Dublin did in the semi you're handing the game to the opposition.

BTW Kerry have been playing defensively for a while now. They were at it against Dublin in 2011. Seems like people are just noticing now.

Dublin made Donegal look much better than they actually are, some major tactical mistakes.

People seem to forget an attacking Mayo side beat Donegal in the semi final last year by 16 points. You do not have to play defensively to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Last year's final was hardly a classic in fairness, and it had both of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

Top 4 teams
    Kerry lost no match
    Donegal lost 1
    Mayo lost 1
    Dublin lost 1

Simples as the ad says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Donegal should have made far more hard hitting attacking runs, they were too timid today, even though they were physically tougher team

Why would Ciaran Whelan deck him?? What he said is very much what anyone in the country thinks! The watchability and skill level exerted in this final was well below any of the finals you have listed!

5 scores in about 45 minutes at one stage!

He continually talks over him and doesn't give him a chance to speak, also he conveniently forgot how good the 3 semi finals were and ignored Whelan when he pointed that out.

Brolly may have some sort of a point but he never suggests anything in order to improve the game despite always complaining about defensive football.

Also Joe's Derry team scored 1-14 in 1993 despite playing against 14 men for most of the game which is only 3 points less than Kerry scored today.I'm sure he was appalled by his teams performance that day.

I watched this match to the end but I switched off the 04,06 and 07 final just after half time and the 09 final was poor with Cork bottling it an being toothless in attack in the second half and Kerry just killing off the game in the last 15-20 minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Peist2007 wrote: »
    There is an all ireland coming soon, people underestimate or plainly dont know how the mentality of Mayo football has slowly changed. Will be back in the mix next year with nothing to fear.

And if ye fail I won't be one bit sorry for ye :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

this sport is gone to the dogs..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

I very much doubt it was intentional limelight-hogging by Fitzmaurice, I never would have considered it the preserve of players only anyway. May be just me though.

Gooch and Terry did not do the same thing. Gooch was listed as a sub, Terry was suspended. Completely different.

Mick O'Dwyer managed Kerry to 8 all-irelands and i'm sure he never went up the steps once. The manager gets enough plaudits anyway without needing to do that.

problem is they all have bloody twitter accounts nowadays and Fitzmaurice will have a nice shot of himself holding the cup on the Hogan Stand for his profile pic.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    this sport is gone to the dogs..

Did you watch the semi finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

He continually talks over him and doesn't give him a chance to speech, also he conveniently forgot how good the 3 semi finals were and ignored Whelan when he pointed that out.

Brolly may have some sort of a point but he never suggests anything in order to improve the game despite always complaining about defensive football.

Also Joe's Derry team scored 1-14 in 1993 despite playing against 14 men for most of the game which is only 3 points less than Kerry scored today.I'm sure he was appalled by his teams performance that day.

I watched this match to the end but I switched off the 04,06 and 07 final just after half time and the 09 final was poor with Cork bottling it an being toothless in attack in the second half and Kerry just killing off the game in the last 15-20 minutes.

perhaps Brolly doesn't rate Whelan as a footballer or as an analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin made Donegal look much better than they actually are, some major tactical mistakes.

People seem to forget an attacking Mayo side beat Donegal in the semi final last year by 16 points. You do not have to play defensively to beat them.

I was at that game and Donegal didn't want to know when the going got tough. Tbh i tend to ignore the results of defending champions. More often than not (this year, last year, the year before) they're never right in the head to begin with. Just can't replicate the intensity needed. Better teams than Dublin and Donegal have also struggled. I guarantee you Kerry will lose to Dublin or Donegal next year.

I think if Donegal are at their best they will stop you scoring the majority of your possessions. What becomes paramount then is you simply have to stop them on their possessions or you'll lose. They'll just score more. They're good at moving the ball through the hands with strong runners and my own opinion is man marking and following runners just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Did you watch the semi finals?

yes and I watched the hurling final which was far better

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

freddiek wrote: »
    perhaps Brolly doesn't rate Whelan as a footballer or as an analyst.

Doubt that Whelan was a fine footballer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement