Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

still more entertaining and skillful than most rugby games involving professional players

however, the facets of gaelic football that are appealing to the eye are kick passing, high fielding and shooting for scores.
    the game today lacked a lot of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    yes and I watched the hurling final which was far better

Whats the hurling final got to do with it.Personally I thought the hurling final was a little over rated.It was an enjoyable game but I thought it was far too easy to get scores in it

The semi finals were great games of football, which shows there isn't much issue with the game when its played well.Any sport played badly is bad to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Every sport has bad matches. Gaelic Football is not unique here. There can be bad hurling matches too (look at this years quarter finals).

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Christ some tripe being spouted in here!
    Standard of football wasn't the best, but it was great entertainment. Donegal weren't at their best, Kerry beat them at their own game, Fitzmaurice got his tactics spot on. And the Donegal keeper had a howler which probably cost them. Not once did I fancy Kerry all year, I had Donegal backed from the start but I tip my hat to Kerry. I am sure they have had much better teams that have NOT won All-Ireland's in the past but it just shows you the passion the Kingdom have. Enjoy the pints in Tralee, Killarney and Dingle, very deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

paul Murphy Man of the match for me..
    he was immense throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Hard to pick to MOM today. I think the panel will pick Donaghy for his 1-2.

If Maher brought his shooting boots I think he could get it. Was well on top in midfield. There were some good defensive performances. Crowley and Fitzgearld did well, while McGee out scored JOD! You'd have got some odds on that beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

His point was probably the score of the match anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Every sport has bad matches. Gaelic Football is not unique here. There can be bad hurling matches too (look at this years quarter finals).

Agree. The championship on a whole was good plenty of high scoring games and good attacking play. Today wasn't a great game fair enough. It was however a very interesting tactical battle which some people enjoy and in most sports success is built on defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about Donegal who lost to Monaghan in the Ulster final, Donegal seem to spend the majority of every match in their own half.

If you knew your football you'd know one was by design and one was caused by ineptitude

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Christ some tripe being spouted in here!
    Standard of football wasn't the best, but it was great entertainment.

Your last comment certainly added to the tripe then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Murphy my MOM too best defender on the pitch and some nice quality going forward great score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

For MOTM, there aren't many stand outs.
    For Kerry maybe Murphy, O Se or O Mahoney. Maybe Crowley. Maher might get a mention.

For Donegal you'd have Toye, can't really think if anyone else. Murphy got one great point, plus a few frees, but didn't really do enough.

Footballer of the year might well be JOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Glad thats over ... I ended up completely ambivalent in the end with my only hope that there wouldn't be a replay. I would however admire the touch of class Jim McG showed in post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

letowski wrote: »
    Hard to pick to MOM today. I think the panel will pick Donaghy for his 1-2.

That would be ridiculous if he was. He had a decent game but if you break down those scores - the goal was gift wrapped and his first point was a tap over from 20 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

He continually talks over him and doesn't give him a chance to speak, also he conveniently forgot how good the 3 semi finals were and ignored Whelan when he pointed that out.

Brolly may have some sort of a point but he never suggests anything in order to improve the game despite always complaining about defensive football.

Also Joe's Derry team scored 1-14 in 1993 despite playing against 14 men for most of the game which is only 3 points less than Kerry scored today.I'm sure he was appalled by his teams performance that day.

I watched this match to the end but I switched off the 04,06 and 07 final just after half time and the 09 final was poor with Cork bottling it an being toothless in attack in the second half and Kerry just killing off the game in the last 15-20 minutes.

The 1993 final was a much better game than this? There was literally potshots being taken and no ball retentipn or sweeping moves. The teams were too focused on the other teams' game and abandoned any concerted efforts to take the game by the scruff of the neck. The game only opened up after a complete freak event and then Donegal were forced to show some initiative to which Kerry credibly responded.
    If i was on that Kerry team i would be delightrd and i would watch the video many a time! but i am a viewer and this is what the point is. The match was dull and lacking any skill or inspired moment. Even the goal evolved after the worst mistake i have ever seen in a latter phased championship game!

Name me one final that didnt throw up an inspired individual performance, a brilliant moment of skill or a flowing dynamic team effort, if not all 3. That is what makes football watchable, like all sports, not gung ho defending at all costs.

There are some excellent players on both sides but i am struggling to pinpoint somepne playing to their abity in this match. They all had a job but abandoned themselves as players for the gameplan which is positive for the team but not for the viewer!

Brolly has advocated many ideas to improve football as a spectator sport. Whilst I dont blame any team for winning at all costs approach, and I dont see many ways to dissuade managements to abandon such plans, Brolly was very outspoken about cynical fouling and used the media to portray that. Which put GAA congress under pressure and hey presto, the black card being introduced, less lenient refereeing to same and an overall improvement to GAA.

Is that not good advocacy!

As for Brolly, he is a barrister! His job is to talk loud and over others! It happens in all commentary analysis and its good to see his passion. I often think Ciarain just spouts populist obvious waffle to keep the viewers on his side!

Sorry for long post! As longwinded and droning as the game itself prpbably!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Murphy was fantastic for sure.

Moran's my POTY though. It was between him, JOD and Murph coming into the final but he was the best out of the 3 easily today. His sidestep and technique for such a big man is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

What a win by Kerry. Having lost 3 former footballers of the year in O'Se, Galvin and Cooper. Simply immense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Murphy was fantastic for sure.

Moran's my POTY though. It was between him, JOD and Murph coming into the final but he was the best out of the 3 easily today. His sidestep and technique for such a big man is fantastic.

Was average!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm talking about Paul, not Michael you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Rightwing wrote: »
    I always had the feeling that Donegal would hand Kerry the AI by beating Dublin.

I agree. I don't think that Kerry side would have had the beating of Dublin.

• Advertisement

The 1993 final was a much better game than this? There was literally potshots being taken and no ball retentipn or sweeping moves. The teams were too focused on the other teams' game and abandoned any concerted efforts to take the game by the scruff of the neck. The game only opened up after a complete freak event and then Donegal were forced to show some initiative to which Kerry credibly responded.
    If i was on that Kerry team i would be delightrd and i would watch the video many a time! but i am a viewer and this is what the point is. The match was dull and lacking any skill or inspired moment. Even the goal evolved after the worst mistake i have ever seen in a latter phased championship game!

Name me one final that didnt throw up an inspired individual performance, a brilliant moment of skill or a flowing dynamic team effort, if not all 3. That is what makes football watchable, like all sports, not gung ho defending at all costs.

There are some excellent players on both sides but i am struggling to pinpoint somepne playing to their abity in this match. They all had a job but abandoned themselves as players for the gameplan which is positive for the team but not for the viewer!

Brolly has advocated many ideas to improve football as a spectator sport. Whilst I dont blame any team for winning at all costs approach, and I dont see many ways to dissuade managements to abandon such plans, Brolly was very outspoken about cynical fouling and used the media to portray that. Which put GAA congress under pressure and hey presto, the black card being introduced, less lenient refereeing to same and an overall improvement to GAA.

Is that not good advocacy!

As for Brolly, he is a barrister! His job is to talk loud and over others! It happens in all commentary analysis and its good to see his passion. I often think Ciarain just spouts populist obvious waffle to keep the viewers on his side!

Sorry for long post! As longwinded and droning as the game itself prpbably!!!

I have to be honest and say that apart from Brolly's rant last year against Sean Cavanagh he has never really suggested anything tangible to improve the game and even then he didn't suggest the black card just complained that cynical fouling wasn't being punished enough which the dogs on the street already knew.

If Donegal had won today I'd be certain he'd have been drooling over the latest Jim McGuinness masterclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Nib wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd think they would have sang God Save our Queen
    They will when Mayo win their next All Ireland!

For me the major problem/annoyance/disappointment/disgust wasn't the defensive setups it was the standard of shooting from both but particularly Kerry. So many piss poor wides and so many shots dropped short.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Starting an 18yo and then hauling him off after 20 mins - baffling stuff from Guru Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Whats the hurling final got to do with it.Personally I thought the hurling final was a little over rated.It was an enjoyable game but I thought it was far too easy to get scores in it

The semi finals were great games of football, which shows there isn't much issue with the game when its played well.Any sport played badly is bad to watch.

all the provincial games were one sided. yes semis good. the sport is in danger of having only 3/4 teams that can win every year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    1. Kerry
    2. Mayo
    3. Cork
    4. Donegal

No way Cork are there - lack of brains on the line and a lack of gameplan
    freddiek wrote: »
    Mick O'Dwyer managed Kerry to 8 all-irelands and i'm sure he never went up the steps once. The manager gets enough plaudits anyway without needing to do that.

problem is they all have bloody twitter accounts nowadays and Fitzmaurice will have a nice shot of himself holding the cup on the Hogan Stand for his profile pic.

I don't see why managers "can't" go up the steps, some so, some don't. Anyway with regards twitter, Fitzmaurice has been fairly quiet on it recently, don't think that will change

Agree. The championship on a whole was good plenty of high scoring games and good attacking play. Today wasn't a great game fair enough. It was however a very interesting tactical battle which some people enjoy and in most sports success is built on defence.

It was an interesting tactical battle, I for one don't mind seeing that or even a defensive game, but the quality of shooting and passing was dire. It was a very poor quality game.
    Donegal v Dublin in the semi-final was much higher quality even with Donegal playing the blanket.
    If Kerry had a Connolly or Flynn they would be some team.

all the provincial games were one sided. yes semis good. the sport is in danger of having only 3/4 teams that can win every year

Same as every sport in Europe then.The structure of the championship doesn't help the entertainment the sport can provide as we have to wait ages for quality teams to play against each other.The championship is a bit like the FA up in that regard.

Starting an 18yo and then hauling him off after 20 mins - baffling stuff from Guru Jim.

Made a few mistakes today.
    Looked at McFadden for the 70. Was at nothing. Left McBrearty on the line. He caused havoc when he came on.

seanhynes wrote: »
    There lucky they werent beaten by 1 Donegal, that umpiring decision in the first half when the Kerry defender kicked it out for a 45 and he gave a goal kick was beyond shocking

Ah, who can say how the game might have gone. Kerry never had to chase the game. If they had needed scores they might have attacked with far more urgency than they did. It's not as simple as totting up mistakes and saying Donegal were unlucky not to win by 1.

• Advertisement

In fairness, in any sport and in any competition there will only ever be a few that could win it out, in this case probably only the 4 semi finalists. Then you will have the next rung of teams that could on their day beat any of the favourites but probably not have the consistency or quality to do that repeatedly to win out the competition. In this case I'd have Cork, Monaghon and possibly Tyrone and Armagh in this bracket. Kildare were in this for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Hopefully Spillane will call this Kerry win as the ultimate puke football win, i doubt it though. Really was an awful final to watch

I have to be honest and say that apart from Brolly's rant last year against Sean Cavanagh he has never really suggested anything tangible to improve the game and even then he didn't suggest the black card just complained that cynical fouling wasn't being punished enough which the dogs on the street already knew.

If Donegal had won today I'd be certain he'd have been drooling over the latest Jim McGuinness masterclass.

just because you have never heard it doesnt mean he has never made great suggestions. He partakes in numerous conferences and was ladt yesrs GAA congressional keynote spokesman and made a speech which was highly admired and plaudited.

He plays the panto villain on tv a bit but that does not mean anything. It was only via the media vriticism that GAA acted and responded to the cynical antics that crept into the game and Brolly was one of the most outspoken. The crackdown on this has been the most positive development in GAA in decades! So to say his views and suggestions are insignificamt is silly.

Im sure you will respond with a "yeah, but" reply! But you have to acknowledge that in this instance he has been, among many, a significant influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Worst AI final since 2003 takes two to tango as they say and Kerry got the breaks to win that final. Well done to Kerry to win the AI with so much change and Cooper their best player out injured is a fine achievement but it must be said the overall quality of football all year was average at best.

just because you have never heard it doesnt mean he has never made great suggestions. He partakes in numerous conferences and was ladt yesrs GAA congressional keynote spokesman and made a speech which was highly admired and plaudited.

He plays the panto villain on tv a bit but that does not mean anything. It was only via the media vriticism that GAA acted and responded to the cynical antics that crept into the game and Brolly was one of the most outspoken. The crackdown on this has been the most positive development in GAA in decades! So to say his views and suggestions are insignificamt is silly.

Im sure you will respond with a "yeah, but" reply! But you have to acknowledge that in this instance he has been, among many, a significant influence.

A sin bin was introduced years ago well before his rant against Sean Cavanagh so the GAA themselves recognised a long time ago that cynical fouling was an issue.

I read a summary of his speech at last years congress (i cant find a full transcript of the speech anywhere) but again although he has a point that there is more to sport than winning that idea is not workable in inter county football, where it is 100% about winning and its the reason why the players play inter county football.

If he has such good ideas he should be more open about them and use his newspaper column and job on RTE to good affect and get people talking about improving the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think today's result might be good for football ... See, Donegal play their defensive style of football because they know that they cannot win against the major counties by playing free flowing football.... However, today one of the major counties played them at their own game and beat them... so what's the point in playing such negative defensive football if you can be beaten, and it may encourage them to play a more open game...

I think it's major progress for Kerry certainly, as probably for the first time they've shown that they can win "dirty" against northern opposition... And I don't mean that they were dirty, just in the same sense that boxers need to know win "dirty" at times by just hanging on, using more negative tactics that would not necessarily be seen as aesthetically pleasing to the purist.. And that may be what is most pleasing about today's result for Kerry people after years of having the Tyrone monkey on their back..

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Have to say JMG was very gracious in defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

SAM # 37!

Are you watching Dubs and Langers ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

dd972 wrote: »
    SAM # 37!

Are you watching Dubs and Langers ! :p

Classy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Rega wrote: »
    Classy

How? Is he not allowed to be happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

thelad95 wrote: »
    How? Is he not allowed to be happy?

Absolutely. Should be thrilled and enjoying himself. Not much need for jibing other teams and fans though, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Paul Durcan will be having nightmares for weeks

Paul Durcan will be having nightmares for weeks

At least he's lucky to have won an all ireland already.If a player from a county who hadn't won one recently had done that it would have been a lot worse for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Rega wrote: »
    Absolutely. Should be thrilled and enjoying himself. Not much need for jibing other teams and fans though, is there?

It's all part of the fun as long as it's not in bad taste. Lighten up a bit.

A sin bin was introduced years ago well before his rant against Sean Cavanagh so the GAA themselves recognised a long time ago that cynical fouling was an issue.

I read a summary of his speech at last years congress (i cant find a full transcript of the speech anywhere) but again although he has a point that there is more to sport than winning that idea is not workable in inter county football, where it is 100% about winning and its the reason why the players play inter county football.

If he has such good ideas he should be more open about them and use his newspaper column and job on RTE to good affect and get people talking about improving the game.

I give up! Yeah but, no but! ;-) ha! Oh and that was not a summary! Just a few words when you googled it! I just said he has used RTE to voice his concerns as he has done in paper columns, interviews and speeches! To me that is doing exactly what you claim he should be! He is a pretty powerful influence therefore. What more can he do, stopping short of telling management to abandon their plans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's all part of the fun as long as it's not in bad taste. Lighten up a bit.

Didnt realise there's a tasteful way of gloating?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Your last comment certainly added to the tripe then!!

Could you elaborate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Could you elaborate?

Well you did say it was 'great entertainment'...

I think today's result might be good for football ... See, Donegal play their defensive style of football because they know that they cannot win against the major counties by playing free flowing football.... However, today one of the major counties played them at their own game and beat them... so what's the point in playing such negative defensive football if you can be beaten, and it may encourage them to play a more open game...

I think it's major progress for Kerry certainly, as probably for the first time they've shown that they can win "dirty" against northern opposition... And I don't mean that they were dirty, just in the same sense that boxers need to know win "dirty" at times by just hanging on, using more negative tactics that would not necessarily be seen as aesthetically pleasing to the purist.. And that may be what is most pleasing about today's result for Kerry people after years of having the Tyrone monkey on their back..

I wonder how true that is anymore. I think Donegal have the best back 6 of any team in the country with the McGee's, Lacy, Thompson, McGlynn, one of the best midfielders in the country and a forward line that can match with any bar Dublin.
    Their system works fine for them as long as things don't go wrong, like the second goal today. If you are setting yourself up to win a game maybe on a score of 12-11 (ignore Dublin game), then you cannot afford for much to go wrong.
    The Donegal players are then unable to change out of that system when required or have to chase a game. The last 5 minutes of that game today were a little surreal with Kerry owning the ball and passing it over and back without Donegal committing any number to getting the ball back even though they were 2/3 points down. Surely at that stage of the game, they had to come out and chase down the Kerry lads and get the ball back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Numan wrote: »
    Stopped watching it after 10 minutes, just awful, I despair at the future of football. Roll on the hurling final so I can forget that 10 minutes....

Agreed, you might as well call a spade a spade, it was dire stuff for the neutral observer. I think there was a period of about 10 minutes in the second half with wide after wide after wide.

A lot of the time it looked like Donegal were afraid to go and win the game and Kerry were unable.

The pre match build up that this would be some sort of classic went very flat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement