Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Well you did say it was 'great entertainment'...

Well it was a tense close all-ireland final! Of course it was great entertainment. The quality of the football was poor, but what do you expect with an Ulster team in the final? That goalkeepers kick out was very entertaining I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Was i seeing things, or did i really see a security man poking Michael Murphy after the game to get him to get up off of the pitch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Was i seeing things, or did i really see a security man poking Michael Murphy after the game to get him to get up off of the pitch ?

I saw the same thing but I thought he was just consoling him to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Well it was a tense close all-ireland final! Of course it was great entertainment. The quality of the football was poor, but what do you expect with an Ulster team in the final? That goalkeepers kick out was very entertaining I thought.

Christ almighty....did you watch Kerry? Hoofing high balls into the square with a complete hit and hope philosophy. Cynical fouling and playing in an unsporting fashion (kicking the ball off Durkan's tee - real classy).

Donegal weren't much better but at least acknowledge that there were 2 teams making it a poor spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

People would be just as moany if Dublin had walked in today and steamed rolled Kerry. At least Donegal made for an interesting final by beating the dubs. I hope we don't have to play Dublin next year as they will not be as nieve. Unlucky for Donegal but well done Kerry. Got the tactics spot on to o what was needed

mfceiling wrote: »
    Christ almighty....did you watch Kerry? Hoofing high balls into the square with a complete hit and hope philosophy. Cynical fouling and playing in an unsporting fashion (kicking the ball off Durkan's tee - real classy).

Donegal weren't much better but at least acknowledge that there were 2 teams making it a poor spectacle.

As I already stated, Kerry beat them at their own game.
    Fitzmaurice got his tactics spot on, if they tried to play lovely football like Dublin tried, they would have been punished.. They changed their game plan to suit the game. Agree kicking the ball off the tee was a dirty thing to do though, 100%... The Donegal v Dublin game I thought was a great spectacle, due to the way the game was set up, but the reason the game was rubbish today was Kerry knew they had to change their system to have any chance... I'd rather win an All-Ireland playing dirt football than go home without Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Fair play to the naries and the rock boy from a grateful Dublin based boherbue man of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It looked to me that he told him to move over towards the Hogan Stand.

Probably innocent but when those security lads are concerned nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

From a neutral point of view that was a woeful game but i believe the game came down to the donegal keepers mistake and nothing else. Nothing between the sides. Kerry resorted to the tactics they despised for so long so i think its basically if you cant beat them join them. Hopefully this is just a phase but it was the worst major sporting event i have seen in years from both teams. Pure muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Glory Glory to our mighty Kingdom, today we showed the entire country who is boss, we took on the pride of Ulster and beat them twice in the one day. We have conveyor belt, we are Kerry and we are All-Ireland Champions for the 37th time tonight. I will provide much more indepth opinion and analysis once I reach our beautiful home down south in the Great Kingdom of Kerry.

• Advertisement

Fitzmaurice got his tactics spot on, if they tried to play lovely football like Dublin tried, they would have been punished.. They changed their game plan to suit the game. Agree kicking the ball off the tee was a dirty thing to do though, 100%... The Donegal v Dublin game I thought was a great spectacle, due to the way the game was set up, but the reason the game was rubbish today was Kerry knew they had to change their system to have any chance... I'd rather win an All-Ireland playing dirt football than go home without Sam.

Absolutely spot on.

Kerry tried and failed to beat the defensive set up too many times in the past with pretty football.
    After watching the Dubs try to swashbuckle their way past it, and fail, they knew exactly what NOT to do today.
    They stuck with the plan and won.

Not pretty, but they beat Donegal at their own game in the end.

As a neutral I'm thrilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

you didn't beat Dublin tho and they have been a bogey team for you recently. still tho you can only beat whats put in front of you

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    you didn't beat Dublin tho and they have been a bogey team for you recently. still tho you can only beat whats put in front of you

On today's performance yeah I think a prepared Dublin side would've murdered either side. But we weren't there, so tough.

Not too worried about the future for Dublin.

I don't know why Dublin should even be mentioned to be honest.
    The best team wins the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So which is it?

An Ulster team will always make for a poor game or Kerry also played that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

True the minute Dublin met a team that believed they could beat them . The dubs panicked and failed miserably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well Fitzmaurice out mcguinnessed McGuinness.

At one stage I thought I was watching a basketball match what with the amount of continous handpasses and another it almost resembled a rugby match with no Donegal players bar one lost soul in the Kerry half as Kerry started another attack.

Sure one might say it was a fascinating tactical battle.
    A tactical battle beteen two teams with basically the same tactics bar hitting garryowens into the full forward supreme in the air.

There was nothing really between the teams bar a goalkeeper and crap kickouts.

Sad to say but that eejit tommy carr was kinda right when he intimated that hurling is far better spectacle if this is the best the supposed two top football teams in the country can dish up for the championship final.

The danger now is that every coach will be looking at this as a template to winning.

BTW could anyway find out where spillane is hiding ?
    Lets hear him call a spade a spade now.

I am not allowed discuss …

IMO Kerry played that way. It doesn't come naturally.
    I was sat with Kerry fans who all said it was the worst All Ireland final they've ever won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

I wonder will jummy stay with donegal - probably knows that he's played all his cards with the lads and teams now know what to expect

• Advertisement

Dubs are better than Kerry just didn't perform in semis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

On today's performance yeah I think a prepared Dublin side would've murdered either side. But we weren't there, so tough.

Not too worried about the future for Dublin.

Rubbish.
    Did Dublin not prepared for the All-Ireland semi? Were they looking around the city for 15 players to fulfil the fixture that morning?

Dubs are better than Kerry just didn't perform in semis

No evidence of that. Kerry are far stronger this year defensively than last year and in midfield.

Did anyone notice Durcan's short kick-out practicing in the warm up in front of the Davin. Laughed at it at the time, but it was ironic the way it turned out in the game - He mis-hit a good few of his short kick-outs and eventually had to stop doing it. Clocked a girl in the Hogan stand with a mis-kick and kicked another right into the middle of the band.

So which is it?

An Ulster team will always make for a poor game or Kerry also played that way?

It's very hard to talk to some people.
    I'll try once more to get it into your skull, but it's the last time I'll answer you.

Ulster teams are traditionally very physical, very defence minded. Donegal have taken physicality and defence to a whole new level since 2012.

Kerry have always been pretty to the eye, they WANT to play attractive football, it is in their culture to play stylish football, play with freedom and express themselves.

If Kerry were playing Dublin or Mayo today, it would have been a great game of football, it would have been open. Now if you are the Kerry manager and you watch the All-Ireland semi-final between Dublin and Donegal, Dublin being the most ferocious attacking side in the country being decimated by Donegal's swarm defence and super counter-attacking football.

What do you say to the players? Era gawon lads, go out there and do what the Dubs did, give Donegal Sam, at least we will go home with our tails between our legs!

It's not often Jim McGuinness gets outfoxed, but he got some hop today when he saw Kerry set up the same way his Donegal side were set up. And the thing about Donegal is they don't have a Plan B. So yes, Kerry played puke football TODAY, but it was a masterful piece of tactical work by Fitzmaurice.

I can't think of too many Ulster games that are entertaining to be honest, Kerry played puke football today because they knew that was the only way they could bring Sam home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alannm37

The people who said that the quality of football today because of Donegal, they are right because its just the way most Ulster teams play, just boring football. The last 5/10 minutes of the match was good but all before that, I was sat at home complaining with the family how bad this match was and it was only that way because Donegal. Kerry also couldn't play like usual because Donegal would've been them, so Kerry had no choice but to play the way they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Paul Durcan will be having nightmares for weeks

Hope he doesn't start comfort eating....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Then amount of talk about Mayo and slagging of Kerry by Mayo posters is pathetic.
    You lost semi final and werent good enough to win, again- so get over it for godsake.

Today- Kerry and Donegal didnt really do enough to win the game but Donegal did a little bit more to lose it.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Rubbish.
    Did Dublin not prepared for the All-Ireland semi? Were they looking around the city for 15 players to fulfil the fixture that morning?

Being prepared is not about having enough players.
    They got tactics horribly wrong (like Kerry in their infamous Tyrone and Armagh f**k ups) and some key players had woeful games. It happens. That's how you lose games.

Kerry had Donegal pegged from the outset today and never deviated from the plan. Looks like they learned from their Ulster curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I thought it was a poor game today - very dull. Kerry learned from the Dubs and didn't cough up stupid scores.

I felt sorry for the Donegal keeper but at least he spared us a replay.

I'm hoping managers can figure away past the very defensive approach that some teams are taking - otherwise we're in for some very dull contests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I tuned in to see the match highlights on The Sunday Game, but apparently the show was cancelled cos there were none...

That's the best All Ireland humour I can come up with, sorry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Kerry hoofed the ball into 2 very good forwards who are also good fielders of the ball Donaghy and Geaney.They need to be lucky only once while the backs need to lucky all the time. Kerry mixed it enough to keep Donegal thinking. They had a plan B (Dublin didnt) which was to play through James O'D and Johnny Buckley and it worked well for them. Kerry were superb the pressure they put on Donegal kick-outs, not them all, was huge and I would think Donegal didnt know what going to happen next. In my opinion Kerry were more than 3 points better.
    robbiezero wrote: »
    I wonder how true that is anymore. I think Donegal have the best back 6 of any team in the country with the McGee's, Lacy, Thompson, McGlynn, one of the best midfielders in the country and a forward line that can match with any bar Dublin.
    Their system works fine for them as long as things don't go wrong, like the second goal today. If you are setting yourself up to win a game maybe on a score of 12-11 (ignore Dublin game), then you cannot afford for much to go wrong.
    The Donegal players are then unable to change out of that system when required or have to chase a game. The last 5 minutes of that game today were a little surreal with Kerry owning the ball and passing it over and back without Donegal committing any number to getting the ball back even though they were 2/3 points down. Surely at that stage of the game, they had to come out and chase down the Kerry lads and get the ball back.

Thats a good post.

I felt from a long way out, as far back as last August when they got pasted by Mayo that Donegal would be close this year. I think the negative stuff from G.A.A. supporters in general is down to the horrible tactics they use when I feel they dont need to be so negative such is the talent they have. You are right they have the best back 6 in Ireland. Gallagher and McNeillis can match most but their problem is in the half forward line. No Doubting Murphy and McFadden are 2 of the best forwards in Ireland but when they have to come 60yards out looking for ball. I would feel if they had McNeillis as centre forward he would give the team a lot more with his height and fielding and his scoring ability but he has been used very wide too much where if Martin McIlhenny was along side Gallagher they would be a better team. It would give them the option to use McHugh wider and get the ball in quicker to Murphy, McFadden and McBrearty.

I would agree it was not a classic but it was a major tactical battle which Eamon Fitzmaurice won. It also showed the great quality of player Kerry can produce when you look at the performance of Paul Murphy the impact of Enright to nullify McBrearty. Kerry didnt let Donegal dictate how they were going to play.

I noticed on 3 or 4 occassions that Paul Durcan took a number of wrong options with his kickouts in second half and kicked to a player who was marked while over under the cusack stand he player on his own. I did feel sorry for him when his kickout to Donaghy went astray seeing as he has been such a good keeper for them for a good few years.

Kerry unlike Dublin were not going to be bullied as I felt a few Dublin players were. Seems that semi final replay brought Kerry on more than people realised.

Roll on the O'Byrne cup, National league........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My thoughts.

Thank Christ we still have a hurling final to look forward to.

Because that was pure and utter shíte today.

Gaelic Football is a joke.

How is Spillane allowed on a panel for a Kerry game, he is simply incapable of been objective. No mention of the puke football, what a surprise. He has absolutely no integrity :rolleyes:.

How is Spillane allowed on a panel for a Kerry game, he is simply incapable of been objective. No mention of the puke football, what a surprise. He has absolutely no integrity :rolleyes:.

Sour grapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

I'll try once more to get it into your skull, but it's the last time I'll answer you.

Ulster teams are traditionally very physical, very defence minded. Donegal have taken physicality and defence to a whole new level since 2012.

Kerry have always been pretty to the eye, they WANT to play attractive football, it is in their culture to play stylish football, play with freedom and express themselves.

If Kerry were playing Dublin or Mayo today, it would have been a great game of football, it would have been open. Now if you are the Kerry manager and you watch the All-Ireland semi-final between Dublin and Donegal, Dublin being the most ferocious attacking side in the country being decimated by Donegal's swarm defence and super counter-attacking football.

What do you say to the players? Era gawon lads, go out there and do what the Dubs did, give Donegal Sam, at least we will go home with our tails between our legs!

It's not often Jim McGuinness gets outfoxed, but he got some hop today when he saw Kerry set up the same way his Donegal side were set up. And the thing about Donegal is they don't have a Plan B. So yes, Kerry played puke football TODAY, but it was a masterful piece of tactical work by Fitzmaurice.

I can't think of too many Ulster games that are entertaining to be honest, Kerry played puke football today because they knew that was the only way they could bring Sam home.

They didnt outfox them as much that you are claiming. They won due to a complete freak of a goal. Granted they may have won otherwise but they may well not have, as is my opinion as they tired at the end while donegal paniced.

It was the correct approach, the only approach but they far from tactically overran the opposition.

Sour grapes?
    No, had a few strawberries though. If you have sour grapes i wouldn't eat them. I assume Spillane embarrasses you as well?

I had to sit beside him at a wedding last year. He has become a parody of himself, most of the table were looking to leave before the meal finished.:D

Jesus, the Minor game looks like the Harlem Globetrotters compared to the Senior game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Worst final ever and that's saying something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Worst final ever and that's saying something

It was no worse than '97 to think of just one

Being prepared is not about having enough players.
    They got tactics horribly wrong (like Kerry in their infamous Tyrone and Armagh f**k ups) and some key players had woeful games. It happens. That's how you lose games.

Kerry had Donegal pegged from the outset today and never deviated from the plan. Looks like they learned from their Ulster curse.

you said "a prepared Dublin side would've murdered either side". I see no reason that would have been the case. We have often seen Dublin cruise through Leinster and come up short against good teams while odds-on favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jesus, the Minor game looks like the Harlem Globetrotters compared to the Senior game..

Same counties but the football was poles apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If anyone thought that was an 'entertaining' game then God help the future of Gaelic football. Poorest final I have ever watched, won by the poorest Kerry team that I've ever seen winning one. Kerry didn't out-fox Donegal, they out-fouled them. How Donncha Walshe syayed on the field beggars belief, this guy has brought cynical fouling to a new level. Its at a stage now where his primary role seems to be stopping runners by mostly illegal means. Hard to figure why his carry-on isn't highlighted.
    This perception that we'll never see a good AI final when an Ulster team are involved is clueless.!!
    One of the best AI finals I've seen, and was lucky enough to attend was the Armagh/Tyrone final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

It's not often Jim McGuinness gets outfoxed, but he got some hop today when he saw Kerry set up the same way his Donegal side were set up. And :the thing about Donegal is they don't have a Plan B. So yes, Kerry played puke football TODAY, but it was a masterful piece of tactical work by Fitzmaurice.

honestly thats horse poo. are you really saying that the only way to beat a team set up as donegal is to play like them, really !
    that doesnt say a lot for your stylish football that the only way to beat donegal is to play like them. just dont get the argument

congrats to kerry they took it - just. but dont blame donegal for the way they played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

washman3 wrote: »
    If anyone thought that was an 'entertaining' game then God help the future of Gaelic football. Poorest final I have ever watched, won by the poorest Kerry team that I've ever seen winning one. Kerry didn't out-fox Donegal, they out-fouled them. How Donncha Walshe syayed on the field beggars belief, this guy has brought cynical fouling to a new level. Its at a stage now where his primary role seems to be stopping runners by mostly illegal means. Hard to figure why his carry-on isn't highlighted.
    This perception that we'll never see a good AI final when an Ulster team are involved is clueless.!!
    One of the best AI finals I've seen, and was lucky enough to attend was the Armagh/Tyrone final.

Don't be a sore loser, take yeir medicine.

honestly thats horse poo. are you really saying that the only way to beat a team set up as donegal is to play like them, really !
    that doesnt say a lot for your stylish football that the only way to beat donegal is to play like them. just dont get the argument

congrats to kerry they took it - just. but dont blame donegal for the way they played.

His argument is worse than horse poo considering Donegal lost the semi final last year by 16 points without the opposition playing puke football ;)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Same counties but the football was poles apart.

Some contrast in the quality of the kicking from the Kerry minors compared to the seniors.

That was yer wan Tammy Browne behind Jack O'Connor.. She was on The Voice.. Think she's going out with a Kerry coach now..

why is there no talk of splitting Kerry into 2 teams ? they have won a record number of AI's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

why is there no talk of splitting Kerry into 2 teams ? they have won a record number of AI's.

They have two teams... picked up two trophies today

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

The Sunday Game discussion is some joke. The dogs on the street know it was a contender for one of the worst finals in recent times. Not one negative comment from any of the panel. RTE's version of The Emperor's New Clothes. Spillane makes me want to put my boot through the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Where was Donegal's plan B today when Kerry turned up and played the way they did? Or is it a case that Donegal have one system and nothing else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement