Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Pearlstone wrote: »
    The Sunday Game discussion is some joke. The dogs on the street know it was a contender for one of the worst finals in recent times. Not one negative comment from any of the panel. RTE's version of The Emperor's New Clothes. Spillane makes me want to put my boot through the TV.

You do realise the father of one of the Donegal players is on the panel as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

honestly thats horse poo. are you really saying that the only way to beat a team set up as donegal is to play like them, really !
    that doesnt say a lot for your stylish football that the only way to beat donegal is to play like them. just dont get the argument

congrats to kerry they took it - just. but dont blame donegal for the way they played.

It's not really horse poo. You have to adapt your game to the opposition as best you can. (Unless you're naive) The way to do that was what Kerry did today. Kerry simply aren't good enough to play an attacking style against Donegal. They'd be gut for garters.

Fact is if the opposition was Dublin or Mayo instead of Donegal we'd have had a more exciting game. However, that doesn't say that the only way to beat Donegal is negativity. Far from it. It's that Kerry's best chance of beating Donegal was the approach they took today. They're not good enough to beat them any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You do realise the father of one of the Donegal players is on the panel as well?

I do indeed. A bit of honesty would not go astray though. It was a truly awful game riddled with the most basic errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Annoying how the team of the year is always made up of players who made it to the semi's, only 2 Dubs even though they smashed everyone all the way to the Semi's and no Colm O'Neill either despite his performances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Chisum wrote: »
    Top 4 teams
    Kerry lost no match
    Donegal lost 1
    Mayo lost 1
    Dublin lost 1

Simples as the ad says

Donegal lost 2 matches this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just back from game and gutted on many levels.

Yes, it was a bad final. But lets blame both sides, not just Donegal.

Donegal were truly awful today, so few of them showed up. An awful goal that you wouldn't see in a junior game, and yet they still nearly got a replay bar the width of a post.

I agree with O'Rourke, the Championship was poor apart from the semi-finals.

The Mayo v Kerry game in Limerick was the highlight IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think James O'Donoghue is currently finding out how to get a restraining order..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

FlashR2D2 wrote: »

Were Kerry set up really as negatively as people are saying?
    Did they not just largely play 6 backs in defense against one or two forwards?

• Advertisement

I'm a bit shocked they didnt have Aidan O'Mahony among the nomiations..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

NIMAN wrote: »
    An awful goal that you wouldn't see in a junior game, and yet they still nearly got a replay bar the width of a post.

Just as well they didn't get a replay. I don't think I could sit through that shyte for another 70 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

jive wrote: »
    Annoying how the team of the year is always made up of players who made it to the semi's, only 2 Dubs even though they smashed everyone all the way to the Semi's and no Colm O'Neill either despite his performances

What other dubs would you have on it?

Kerry's Paul Murphy is the RTE man of the match FYI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Pearlstone wrote: »
    The Sunday Game discussion is some joke. The dogs on the street know it was a contender for one of the worst finals in recent times. Not one negative comment from any of the panel. RTE's version of The Emperor's New Clothes. Spillane makes me want to put my boot through the TV.

ah in fairness Brolly said exactly that, one positive to him he speaks his mind, disgraceful play by kerry in the last few minutes but at the end of the day it got them their medal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Is Des under strict instructions to curtail any contentious discussion tonight? Some terribly lame stuff there, not for the first time of course

And does Liam O'Neill really believe the guff he spoke at the banquet? The game "being given back to the skilful players." What match was he at today?

And does Liam O'Neill really believe the guff he spoke at the banquet? The game "being given back to the skilful players." What match was he at today?

"The black card helped to get rid of the pulling and dragging"... He sounds a bit like Shell trying to defend an oil spill or something.. Terrible "company line" boll*xology

Just as well they didn't get a replay. I don't think I could sit through that shyte for another 70 minutes.

I'd say you're using the wifi on the Bus Eireann as you're headed down to Tralee for the celebrations Harry, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

robbiezero wrote: »

I think cluxton & Mcarthy could of got in

"The black card helped to get rid of the pulling and dragging"... He sounds a bit like Shell trying to defend an oil spill or something.. Terrible "company line" boll*xology

I don't think the refs even knew what they were supposed to be doing with the black cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

liam7831 wrote: »
    Don't be a sore loser, take yeir medicine.

im a complete neutral bud, doesn't matter to me either way who wins. Just want to see a good game. If anything I would be veering towards the Munster team, our neighbours.!!
    The fact that I switched over frequently to watch a soccer match today says it all about the football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

FlashR2D2 wrote: »

When did Donegal lose 2 matches
    I think their ulster champions ????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Chisum wrote: »
    When did Donegal lose 2 matches
    I think their ulster champions ????

Possibly means the minors loss today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Im not from Kerry but Im delighted to see Kerry win the Sam.

Heres hoping Jim Mcguiness and his tree cllimbing henchmen,his tactics and tictacs and system and powerpoint and helicopters and training camps, and closed door codology and teamsheets and swarm and blanket and all the other ****e is forgotten about now. Youd swear no one ever won an All-Ireland before.

Football .. catch, kick, run, score repeat.. collect Cup, entertain your own fans and the neutral fans. Put your name in the history book , add something to the great legacy that is the GAA and rock on...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chisum
    Top 4 teams
    Kerry lost no match
    Donegal lost 1
    Mayo lost 1
    Dublin lost 1

Simples as the ad says

That's original post above top 4 teams was reply to FLASHR2D2 selection of top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

robbiezero wrote: »

Rory O'Carroll and Cluxton, aside from being exposed completely due to an absentee half back line those 2 were excellent all year imo (and I am no fan of the Dubs believe you me). Also think Colm O'Neill deserves a place, he was carrying Cork big time; the full forward line in the team of the year is very strong though so I can see why he's missed out to lads from Kerry/Donegal/Mayo. Durcan shouldn't be anywhere near that team, he was the difference between the two teams today.

jive wrote: »
    Rory O'Carroll and Cluxton, aside from being exposed completely due to an absentee half back line those 2 were excellent all year imo (and I am no fan of the Dubs believe you me). Also think Colm O'Neill deserves a place, he was carrying Cork big time; the full forward line in the team of the year is very strong though so I can see why he's missed out to lads from Kerry/Donegal/Mayo. Durcan shouldn't be anywhere near that team, he was the difference between the two teams today.

The 6 forwards were spot on IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyone else think it strange Brolly would conincide an activity with organ donation with the night of the football final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd say you're using the wifi on the Bus Eireann as you're headed down to Tralee for the celebrations Harry, are you?

I became a Kerry supporter for the one and only time today, Jon. As and from tomorrow I'll go back to hating them again ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

honestly thats horse poo. are you really saying that the only way to beat a team set up as donegal is to play like them, really !
    that doesnt say a lot for your stylish football that the only way to beat donegal is to play like them. just dont get the argument

congrats to kerry they took it - just. but dont blame donegal for the way they played.

Far from horse poo what that posted put up.

The point is if you want to go and play football like Kerry like to do, Donegal will punish you like they did Dublin. Gilroy got it right with Dublin in 2011 and won the ugliest game of football I have ever watched but ultimately Dublin won the All-Ireland so didnt care. So you must do something to counteract it and Kerry did. They set up the same way which meant by and large you needed people who could kick scores or have the football brain the Kerry lads have to change the point and pace of attack at any time. Donegal dont have this ability but Kerry had the ability to counteract Donegal and it meant play ugly but win

McGuinness despite possessing some of the most talented players in Ireland appears to be very negative in his approach, the Trappatoni of GAA as I heard one lad call him. Concede nothing and we might outscore the opposition. When Murphy is coming so far from goal to look for ball and Aidan O'Mahony and Crowley filling the gap Dublin left behind midfield Donegal just didnt have the footballers to beat them. One thing looking back at the game Kerry were more than 3 points better I felt but unusually for them their kicking for points was very wayward at times.

As for RTE and their panel. I usually like Spillane but McHugh and Martin Carney!!! they really need to go back and look at their panels for next year. The most boring tripe especially Cliche Carney and McHugh. Spillane can be entertaining when Brolly winds him up. McStay, O'Rourke and Whelan in fairness call it as it is and don't mind who's toes they stand on. Both were very objective when their counties were in action earlier in the year.

Thought Diarmuid Connolly should have been footballer of the year. His performances for club and county have been top class for over a year now and the goal he scored during the week for Vincent's was worth the admission, but no way Carney was going to pick a dub.

LeoB wrote: »

Thought Diarmuid Connolly should have been footballer of the year. His performances for club and county have been top class for over a year now and the goal he scored during the week for Vincent's was worth the admission, but no way Carney was going to pick a dub.

Just on this, it should have been done in private, the idea that the last person choosing knows what the others have chosen isn't right imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Anyone else think it strange Brolly would conincide an activity with organ donation with the night of the football final?

What?????

Just on this, it should have been done in private, the idea that the last person choosing knows what the others have chosen isn't right imo.

No matter what way it was done they got the decision right lads JOD was footballer of the year

No matter what way it was done they got the decision right lads JOD was footballer of the year

in your opinion.

in your opinion.

Most people opinion I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    As I already stated, Kerry beat them at their own game.
    Fitzmaurice got his tactics spot on, if they tried to play lovely football like Dublin tried, they would have been punished.. They changed their game plan to suit the game. Agree kicking the ball off the tee was a dirty thing to do though, 100%... The Donegal v Dublin game I thought was a great spectacle, due to the way the game was set up, but the reason the game was rubbish today was Kerry knew they had to change their system to have any chance... I'd rather win an All-Ireland playing dirt football than go home without Sam.

Sad to see The Kingdom reduced to playing Puke, sorry, "dirt" football to win an all-ireland. How the mighty are fallen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thats the debate. I dont think they did but agree James O'D is a magnificent footballer BUT Connolly has been doing in week in week out for club and county be in league or championship and in MY opinion is the most complete player in the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

All the analysts were there and I thought he would have been as well. Would also like to know who he would have voted for - player of the year.

out of 6 panelists, only 3 gave it to him - so I don't think you can saying most peoples. As others have said Connelly has done it all year for club and county.

He had a great year, but Connolly would definitely got my vote.

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    Thats the debate. I dont think they did but agree James O'D is a magnificent footballer BUT Connolly has been doing in week in week out for club and county be in league or championship and in MY opinion is the most complete player in the country.

Connolly is a fantastic player and was brilliant this year as you said for club and county. JOD was fantastic all year too league and champ and has a inter county AI medal to show for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Who did Sunday Game give MOTM to?

delaad wrote: »
    Sad to see The Kingdom reduced to playing Puke, sorry, "dirt" football to win an all-ireland. How the mighty are fallen!

It would have been nice if Kerry won by playing the beautiful game but they didn't. Not a lot of teams can do both, this year Kerry showed the ability to mix their game plan completely, great credit to the management!

delaad wrote: »

Why didn't Donegal play normal football like everyone else, when they went behind, they opened up a bit - had they played like that for 70 minutes they might have had a chance,

But from what I can see, if Donegal play "puke" football and win - everyone is happy and just say that is the instance of Dublin, there was no plan B.

But when Kerry came to Croke Park - with Plan B - and play it, people then give out.

Donegal Have one system and nothing else, had Dublin taken their goal chances against them the other day (like Kerry did today), Donegal probably would have lost as well.

Who did Sunday Game give MOTM to?

P Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Player of the year should be the most influenyial player of the championship. And considering the fact I couldnt see Kerry being in an All Ireland final without JOD he is a fair recipient and a delight to watch. i earmarked him when he first emerged and his skill level and bravery and intelligence on the ball is a delight. Seems like a modest and friendly bloke also, a great ambassador.

Best player is a silly term as all players have different roles which they can excel at.

I always prefer the Americanised MVP (most valuable player)

Connolly is a fantastic player and was brilliant this year as you said for club and county. JOD was fantastic all year too league and champ and has a inter county AI medal to show for it

Should it matter if he has an AI medal when it comes to Player of the Year

P Murphy

Good choice.

Player of the year should be the most influenyial player of the championship. And considering the fact I couldnt see Kerry being in an All Ireland final without JOD he is a fair recipient and a delight to watch. i earmarked him when he first emerged and his skill level and bravery and intelligence on the ball is a delight. Seems like a modest and friendly bloke also, a great ambassador.

Best player is a silly term as all players have different roles which they can excel at.

I always prefer the Americanised MVP (most valuable player)

Doesnt come across as too modest to me! He seems cocky and cheeky but thats not a bad thing!

Should it matter if he has an AI medal when it comes to Player of the Year

Yes because most years if your player of the year you play in the champ the longest and most player of the years are so influential to their team the end up winning the AI.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement