Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why didn't Donegal play normal football like everyone else, when they went behind, they opened up a bit - had they played like that for 70 minutes they might have had a chance,

But from what I can see, if Donegal play "puke" football and win - everyone is happy and just say that is the instance of Dublin, there was no plan B.

But when Kerry came to Croke Park - with Plan B - and play it, people then give out.

Donegal Have one system and nothing else, had Dublin taken their goal chances against them the other day (like Kerry did today), Donegal probably would have lost as well.

I think the majority are just perturbed at the game as a spectacle and frustrated that such poor spectacles are brcoming more common. Im not sure anyone would begrudge kerry ( even though i genuinely dont they would have won if that freak of a goal didnt come about) Im sure Kerry fans dont care less tonight but i hazard a guess that most would be as frustrated as us if they were told :: this is the new Kerry style ( which i dont believe will be the case anyway!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The 6 forwards were spot on IMO

5 of them are certs, wouldn't go for McHugh though myself. Colm O'Neill would have been in there had Cork gone further I reckon but like I said you can't really put him in ahead of anyone in that full forward line because of how Cork's year went.

Looking at it again, I'm surprised McGlynn isn't in tbh. Spillane said O'Mahony had 31 possessions, the 2nd most in the Kerry team, well great. McGlynn has been better than O'Mahony all year and should definitely be in that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Yes because most years if your player of the year you play in the champ the longest and most player of the years are so influential to their team the end up winning the AI.

So had Donegal won the today, are you saying them the player of the year should be someone off their team? or would you make an exception?

The award is player of the year, not player of the championship

Doesnt come across as too modest to me! He seems cocky and cheeky but thats not a bad thing!

How? Anytime he has been interviewed he is grounded and charming but confident. I didnt see the dinner tonight but im sure he is as high as a kite (emotionally!) and has had a drink or two so he may come across a bit different, as we all do. I remember when i won my first All Ireland........

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

jive wrote: »
    5 of them are certs, wouldn't go for McHugh though myself. Colm O'Neill would have been in there had Cork gone further I reckon but like I said you can't really put him in ahead of anyone in that full forward line because of how Cork's year went.

Looking at it again, I'm surprised McGlynn isn't in tbh. Spillane said O'Mahony had 31 possessions, the 2nd most in the Kerry team, well great. McGlynn has been better than O'Mahony all year and should definitely be in that team.

I didn't think O Mahony should of been in either I thought Fitzgerald was ahead of him you have a good argument for McGlynn. To be fair I thought Mchugh deserved his place he was their best player in Ulster and played a stormer in the semi final not so good today tho that was down to P Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Those players have put in years of grueling dedication to reach an All Ireland Final, the pinnacle of their sport.

I couldn't give a flying **** if neutrals didn't enjoy that game. I don't want to hear about the slew of ejits who ''gave up and went outside to mow the lawn after 50 minutes''. Blow it out your ****ing hole and don't say anything if you can't find something positive to say about an amatuer sport where athletes give monstrous commitment.

The best team won today. I'm just disappointed Donegal were so far from their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

So had Donegal won the today, are you saying them the player of the year should be someone off their team? or would you make an exception?

No I'd still give to JOD. It's not a cert but most cases player of the year comes from the winning side. The man popped up all year round when kerry needed him most. He got a wonderful hat trick against Tyrone when Kerry were staring relegation in the face. He had the performance of the year by any player against Cork in the Munster final. He gave another exhibition against Galway. He popped up with a goal to save them against Mayo the first game. Scored 2-6 in the replay. Today not his best performance but impressive how he sacrificed himself for the team today

I think you are missing the point here. It is player of the champipnship. League and club commitments have always been ignored. I dont think you could of made a case for any donegal players as individuals. Their tactics often stifle individual talent (see Michael Murphy for example) .

O donoghue though was the most influential player as without him Kerry would have not reached an AI imo. Unlike Dublin for whom ready replacements for Connolly were at hand, although not to his level. Dublin would of won all the games they won without DC, whilst i dont believe Kerry would without JOD

Those players have put in years of grueling dedication to reach an All Ireland Final, the pinnacle of their sport.

I couldn't give a flying **** if neutrals didn't enjoy that game. I don't want to hear about the slew of ejits who ''gave up and went outside to mow the lawn after 50 minutes''. Blow it out your ****ing hole and don't say anything if you can't find something positive to say about an amatuer sport where athletes give monstrous commitment.

The best team won today. I'm just disappointed Donegal were so far from their best.

Why are you coming onto a forum then!! The game was a poor spectacle! Thats all people are saying! Dont think anyone is begrudging of anyone who has achieved after putting in effort!

• Advertisement

Why are you coming onto a forum then!! The game was a poor spectacle! Thats all people are saying! Dont think anyone is begrudging of anyone who has achieved after putting in effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Ridiculous to see some panelists giving it to Connolly based on club performances. How many Killarney legion games did Ciaran Whelan watch this year I wonder? If you're including Dublin club games like they mentioned about Connolly, you should include Sigerson as well and include the 1-10 that Jod scored for UL.

Personally I think it should be based solely on intercounty senior championship. Not league, club or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think you are missing the point here. It is player of the champipnship. League and club commitments have always been ignored. I dont think you could of made a case for any donegal players as individuals. Their tactics often stifle individual talent (see Michael Murphy for example) .

O donoghue though was the most influential player as without him Kerry would have not reached an AI imo. Unlike Dublin for whom ready replacements for Connolly were at hand, although not to his level. Dublin would of won all the games they won without DC, whilst i dont believe Kerry would without JOD

Not it's play of the year, not just championship - and that was clearly stated when they went through the nominations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    Donegal lost 2 matches this year.

Not in the Championship.

Lots of sour grapes on this thread, and it seems not from supporters of Donegal or Kerry, the 2 "losing" Semi Finalists seem well represented.

Well done to Kerry, things just didn't go our way today, hitting the post and on another day might have got another goal or two.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I didn't think O Mahony should of been in either I thought Fitzgerald was ahead of him you have a good argument for McGlynn. To be fair I thought Mchugh deserved his place he was their best player in Ulster and played a stormer in the semi final not so good today tho that was down to P Murphy

Yeh I don't know how O'Mahony got in tbh. You could definitely argue a case for McHugh, and he'll get young footballer of the year and deservedly so, but he's the one of the 5 forwards who you could give or take with a couple of other lads whilst the others can't really be debated by anyone who has watched any football this year.

Ridiculous to see some panelists giving it to Connolly based on club performances. How many Killarney legion games did Ciaran Whelan watch this year I wonder? If you're including Dublin club games like they mentioned about Connolly, you should include Sigerson as well and include the 1-10 that Jod scored for UL.

Personally I think it should be based solely on intercounty senior championship. Not league, club or anything else.

Yeah what a ridiculous notion. I'm sure Ciaran Whelan has been trekking across Kerry, Donegal, Dublin and Mayo so that he can be in a position to compare Connolly's club games to all the other lads... Club games shouldn't come into it at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah what a ridiculous notion. I'm sure Ciaran Whelan has been trekking across Kerry, Donegal, Dublin and Mayo so that he can be in a position to compare Connolly's club games to all the other lads... Club games shouldn't come into it at all.
    Connolly basically won the club final on his own with one of the best displays of attacking in years.

Connolly basically won the club final on his own with one of the best displays of attacking in years.

Shouldn't be included though. Plenty of lads that play intercounty play for terrible clubs and would never get to a stage to showcase anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Paul Durcan will be having nightmares for weeks

Weeks!?!? That mistake will haunt him until he is an old man!

As an ex keeper myself (in the loosest sense of the word) I felt desperately sorry for him - it was the winning and losing of the game - and thereafter his confidence for taking short kick-outs was shot. From that point on he essentially raffled all the kick-outs out around the middle, where Kerry had numbers and dominated.

Not it's play of the year, not just championship - and that was clearly stated when they went through the nominations.

Thats clearly a new departure then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Spillane is probably the most biased GAA commentator on TV. You'll get good odds on him calling Kerry Puke.

Pat Spillane?
    8 inter county senior all Ireland's winners
    1 club all Ireland winner
    9 All stars

Makes Spillane worthy of commentary worth listening to, who do you champion? Who do you consider worthy? For example, I will tell you that the mealy mouthed McStay hasn't earned any right. He has zero hardware. All gob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

my friend wrote: »
    Pat Spillane?
    9 All stars

Makes Spillane worthy of commentary worth listening to, who do you champion? Who do you consider worthy? For example, I will tell you that the mealy mouthed McStay hasn't earned any right. He has zero hardware. All gob.

All the above and is still lacking in the capacity for an intellectual debate and decent insight in the game.

Whelan and Brolly have 1 all ireland between them and speak far better and are a thousand times more insightful that Pat.

delaad wrote: »
    Sad to see The Kingdom reduced to playing Puke, sorry, "dirt" football to win an all-ireland. How the mighty are fallen!

Why is it sad? It's a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Pat Spillane?
    9 All stars

Spillane said Jamie Clarke played in the half-back line this year, right? I mean that's just patently untrue.

McStay's managed a club to an all-ireland. Personally I think that's more telling of someone's knowledge of the game than how they were as a player.

See also - Pele.

aveytare wrote: »
    Spillane said Jamie Clarke played in the half-back line this year, right? I mean that's just patently untrue.

McStay's managed a club to an all-ireland. Personally I think that's more telling of someone's knowledge of the game than how they were as a player.

See also - Pele.

Nicky Butt was the best player in the 2002 world cup according to ould floppy cock!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

McStay's managed a club to an all-ireland. Personally I think that's more telling of someone's knowledge of the game than how they were as a player

McStay's managed a club to an all-ireland..

Not a club from his home county , he wasn't the 'sole' manager, he was part of a back room team, st Brigids were knocking on success before his arrival and after his departure , he also was given the bullet by them

Extremely rich to attempt to claim that he was a key whatsoever , pathetic to rebut 8 AI's and 9 AS with such a straw gasp.

Off to bed with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

I think the majority are just perturbed at the game as a spectacle and frustrated that such poor spectacles are brcoming more common.

Just as an aside, can people please stop saying what "the majority" think. You don't know that so just speak for youself.

As a neutral, I watched the game and, far from being frustrated, I found it very entertaining. It was anybody's to win right until the last kick of the game.

The defensive strategy is as valid as the "all out attack" strategy. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I haven't yet seen a game played by either strategy drawn at Nil-Nil.

If what you want is big final scores, could I suggest you watch the Hurling replay next weekend? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Not a club from his home county , he wasn't the 'sole' manager, he was part of a back room team, st Brigids were knocking on success before his arrival and after his departure , he also was given the bullet by them

Extremely rich to attempt to claim that he was a key whatsoever , pathetic to rebut 8 AI's and 9 AS with such a straw gasp.

So he wasn't a key part of St Brigid's all-ireland win? That's bizarre. I never even said that anyway, I just meant I personally think being a good manager is more telling of a good knowledge of tactics than being a good player etc. Mickey Harte and Jack O'Connor weren't great players. Obviously I wouldn't put McStay on their level but he's still a better analyst than Spillane regardless.

I'm not rebutting that Spillane has won a heck of a lot as a player, it's a great achievement but it doesn't excuse the fact he's a pretty stale analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

See, I hate this attitude and many seem to hold it. It's so naive.

Everyone who plays at the club level, be that Senior, Intermediate, Junior, Junior B, whatever, is committed. Should we always say something positive about them? Hell no! We should give constructive criticism - and avoid making it personal like many managers often do:(. We always want to improve the game, sustain interest and grow it. It's not going to grow if every game played was like the one today. In fact, if that style of play was the predominant style when the game was first developing it wouldn't have lasted very long. What's so great is that the game has developed and evolved into many different things. This is one of those things but I sincerely hope it doesn't stay. It's boring. If every game was modelled on today's game the sport would likely die a slow death. Or not, but then I would really have to question people's tastes. :pac:

Turtwig wrote: »
    What's so great is that the game has developed and evolved into many different things. This is one of those things but I sincerely hope it doesn't stay.

Cool, that's how evolution works. Welcome to the new world.
    Hang around for a while and we'll see if it stays. :)

GFish wrote: »
    Just as an aside, can people please stop saying what "the majority" think. You don't know that so just speak for youself.

As a neutral, I watched the game and, far from being frustrated, I found it very entertaining. It was anybody's to win right until the last kick of the game.
    U
    The defensive strategy is as valid as the "all out attack" strategy. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I haven't yet seen a game played by either strategy drawn at Nil-Nil.

If what you want is big final scores, could I suggest you watch the Hurling replay next weekend? ;)

What? It is clearly obvious going by public reaction, media reaction and social media that the majority were frustrated watching it. I havent completed a nationwide census but i would be willing to put my house on that.

I will add you to my study though and im sure your views on the match will sway this "majority" thought.......

As for the final, i didnt enjoy it, like many, as it wasnt football as MOST like football to be played. If you were describing GAA to a foreigner who had never witnessed it MOST would not speak of blanket defences, loss of possession, aimless kicking, poor shooting, petty fouling , gamesmanship, very little kick passing (its football remember, moreso than fistball) and an act of childishness by BJK

I was glued to the tv and intrigued as to what way the game would develop but that doesnt mean i was entertained or inspired. Im proud of the sport and although the aim of the game is winning it doesnt mean neutrals, or even fans, will basque in victory at all costs.

I gave great credit to Kerry for their tactical approach which kept them into the game up until that freak goal. I genuinely think that a composed Donegal would have seen out the game had that not occured as they thrive in the last quarter but as it happened that goal was a sucker and they became imbalanced thereafter. Remember they even reduced a 4 point deficit back to one after that but following the next point they couldnt afford to miss and Kerry had them.

I also never said anything about scores. But yes 9 scores in a 45 minute period is a joke. It wasnt even good defending at times, simply bad shot selection, poor wayward shooting or losing possession or fouls being exerted to stifle attacking momentum.

Maybe the majority enjoyed that. But i didnt and im confident to say most would agree with me.

• Advertisement

What? It is clearly obvious going by public reaction, media reaction and social media that the majority were frustrated watching it. I havent completed a nationwide census but i would be willing to put my house on that.

Maybe the majority enjoyed that. But i didnt and im confident to say most would agree with me.

Easy on there.
    I enjoyed it. You didn't so that's 50:50 I think.

Take a break, or go to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So... That black card...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

http://gaeliclife.com/2014/09/joe-brolly-nobody-out-smarts-jim-mcguinness

Well Joe Eammon Fitzmaurice did,

Maybe now we wil get a bit of respect off these guys that write for Gaelic Life,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Shouldn't be included though. Plenty of lads that play intercounty play for terrible clubs and would never get to a stage to showcase anything.

Kevin O'Brien won an all star in 1990 the same year his club won the all ireland.

AI club championship should be considered if someone is exceptional in it and backs it up with good intercounty performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

McStay was the Manager of the St Brigids team.He may have had McHale with him but McStay was the manager of the team.Considering he got a team to win an all ireland when they hadn't done so before its a pretty good achievement.

Also as far as I know hasn't he been living outside of Mayo for a long time so I think that would count against him doing something with a Mayo club team.

Being a good player means nothing in terms of being a good analyst of the game.The way your going on about McStay you'd think he was a junior B footballer.He did win an all star in the 80's and played on a team who got to an all ireland final so he must have been a fairly handy player.

Spillane was shown up badly yesterday as an analyst and proved his complete and utter biasedness over the years.If Tyrone were playing Donegal yesterday he would be claiming that the game has fallen to an all time low and Ulster teams are to blame for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

By the same token plenty of fine players play for poorer intercounty teams and 'never get to a stage to showcase anything'. You had to make the semi final to get on the Sunday Game team lets not forget. In essence you're picking the team of the year based on a couple games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Spillane was shown up badly yesterday as an analyst and proved his complete and utter biasedness over the years.

I thought the production last nite was quite good and the way that they had all the panellists around in a circle with each one contributing was a good idea.. However, I thought having Pat Spillane leading the debate for Player Of The Year, coaxing and cajoling the others as they gave their opinions, made no sense at all.. He was more like a lobbyist than an objective panelist..

Oh and it was nice to see that Emmett Bolton got a mention for his fantastic goal... What they forgot to mention is that he was given a ridiculous black card shortly after for a challenge near the half way line, and with that went Kildare's chances of a win.. So while Liam O'Neill is clapping himself on the back about the black card, maybe he should think about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

corny wrote: »
    By the same token plenty of fine players play for poorer intercounty teams and 'never get to a stage to showcase anything'. You had to make the semi final to get on the Sunday Game team lets not forget. In essence you're picking the team of the year based on a couple games.

Didn't see the Sunday Game last night - can I ask, did they specifically say that was a pre-requisite for being picked on the team? I'd hoped Andy Mallon for us might have been in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Didn't see the Sunday Game last night - can I ask, did they specifically say that was a pre-requisite for being picked on the team? I'd hoped Andy Mallon for us might have been in with a shout.

Off hand i can't remember.

They mentioned Andy Mallon, Forker and Drew Wylie from Monaghan but it was obvious they were going to side with the team from the semi for no other reason other than they got to a semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

All the above and is still lacking in the capacity for an intellectual debate and decent insight in the game.

Whelan and Brolly have 1 all ireland between them and speak far better and are a thousand times more insightful that Pat.

Did anybody else hear when Michael Lyster was saying that ciaran Whelan had been having a good up-close look at the Sam Maguire cup in the studio,

Brolly just goes "bit of a low blow there, Michael" ! Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Rory O'Carroll and Cluxton, aside from being exposed completely due to an absentee half back line those 2 were excellent all year imo (and I am no fan of the Dubs believe you me). Also think Colm O'Neill deserves a place, he was carrying Cork big time; the full forward line in the team of the year is very strong though so I can see why he's missed out to lads from Kerry/Donegal/Mayo. Durcan shouldn't be anywhere near that team, he was the difference between the two teams today.

Neil McGee is by a good way the best full back this year.
    Cluxton, ya probably by default, no way Durcan should have got it after the final.

Sad to see The Kingdom reduced to playing Puke, sorry, "dirt" football to win an all-ireland. How the mighty are fallen!

Very sad to see them reduced to winning the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Neutrals complaining that the game was boring? Wake up! Donegal fforced this display from Kerry and to be bluntly honest, people down here in the Kingdom don't give a hoot as to what 'neutrals' think or whether they enjoy a game. All we care is we won! Same as Dublin last year and Donegal before them. As for 'neutrals' Mayo or Cork fans are far from 'neutrals' when it comes to Kerry!! Just look at here or any social media outlet, over past few weeks! Ciarrai abu and to hell with the begrudgers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

The sour grapes must be eating away at you. Fair play to kerry when no one gave them a chance all year and i hope Donegal are back again next year to have another go. Really feel sorry for the donegal goalie something he will never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

robbiezero wrote: »
    Cluxton, ya probably by default, no way Durcan should have got it after the final.

No, Cluxton didn't deserve it.
    Nobody should be winning it by default.

On balance probably durcan deserved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

First off I am from Kerry.

Great win for us, but to say it was a bad game is an understatement. We got two jobs done there yesterday, showed a bit of grit and beat a defensive system. Although beating the defensive system came at a price, the end justified the means. We have gone up to croker to many times and been left lacking when it came to digging it out.

Very frustrating to watch and the atmosphere was limp which was on the back of two teams trying not to make a mistake.

Kerry now need to push on with gooch, walsh and maybe a hand full from the minors, U21 and juniors to add. It going to be dog eat dog to get a place next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Well done Kerry. Deserved that. Came up with a plan to beat the system and win the game - exactly what was needed.

While the style & quality was obviously lacking, I found the game fascinating and intriguing to watch. The main disappointment was the lack of quality shooting from distance - far too many wides from both sides. Fitzmaurice is a very likeable manager and McGuinness was very gracious after the game. Well done to both of them.

No, Cluxton didn't deserve it.
    Nobody should be winning it by default.

On balance probably durcan deserved it

By default I mean he would get it purely because of the lack of mistakes and the fact that his closest contenders made some bad ones.
    Kerry goalie made a bad mistake against Mayo, Durcan had it in the bag for me up to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Well that was bitterly disappointing, but congratulations to Kerry they were by far worthy winners on the day.

I don't find myself asking 'If' for Donaghy's goal or the goal-line scramble at the end, because the reality is Kerry had enough wides to win two games. Donegal simply didn't give a good account of themselves yesterday and that's the greatest shame.

I hope Jim stays on, but he'll need to have a think about his decisions yesterday. Toye and McBrearty were fantastic when they came on they deserved to be in from the start on merit.

At the final whistle yesterday it wasnt too bad because I felt we had lost a game of football we didnt deserve to win, but by the time I got home it sunk in that we'd lost an All Ireland Final - hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

See BJK getting slated on social media and in the papers for his moment of glory with the donegal keeper... Real schoolyard stuff...silly boy!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement