Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

We'll beat ye playing Football or we'll beat ye with systems. It was puke football at its finest. I don't care, none of us care Sam is coming home. The only way to beat the system is play the system, and it leads to awful games. If Donegal wanted to come out and play man to man football we would have been delighted. We would have won by 10+ points.

It was a great day for Kerry, sticking it to the system. Alot of young lads on this team that have never won anything at intercounty level, and alot of older lads who it may be there last. This one is sweet, as sweet as ever. We even wrote ourselves off this year and they came through like no one could have expected. Fitzy is a god, people can go on about McGuiness all they want but he doesnt have a patch on Fitzy. Fitzy beat him at his own game.

Minors were massive also. Have been a great team all year, and got their due rewards. My god was it sweet when the Star called out Joe Brolly afterwards. Production lines in Kerry don't stop, ever! There is going to be quite a few players from this minor team who will please god make the transition to Senior, and the future is very bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

See BJK getting slated on social media and in the papers for his moment of glory with the donegal keeper... Real schoolyard stuff...silly boy!

The pick on Kerry brigade out to get him- it's laughable that nothing is said when the Donegal lads do the exact same thing.

Alls fair in GAA unless Dublin or Kerry do it then a big deal is made out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The pick on Kerry brigade out to get him- it's laughable that nothing is said when the Donegal lads do the exact same thing.

Please show an example of Donegal doing "the exact same thing" as he did.

Please show an example of Donegal doing "the exact same thing" as he did.

Donegal v Armagh this year, Armagh have side line in injury time - Donegal play boots the ball 40 yards away - bear in mind donegal were only 1 point up at this stage

Donegal v Dublin - game almost over Dublin get free - Donegal play starts dribbling the ball up the field - ref blows whistle 3 times he keeps going and finally boots the ball 60 yards from where ref blew the foul up.

Of course you may have to take the blinkers off to see this

None of which are "exactly the same." I've never seen a player run up and knock the ball off the kicking tee. Have you?

And I literally laughed out loud at the blinkers comment! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Donegal v Armagh this year, Armagh have side line in injury time - Donegal play boots the ball 40 yards away - bear in mind donegal were only 1 point up at this stage

Donegal v Dublin - game almost over Dublin get free - Donegal play starts dribbling the ball up the field - ref blows whistle 3 times he keeps going and finally boots the ball 60 yards from where ref blew the foul up.

Of course you may have to take the blinkers off to see this

The same Donegal v Armagh game where an Armagh player knocked the Donegal doctor to the ground?

In your second example, Paddy McGrath was rightly black carded for that.

None of which are "exactly the same." I've never seen a player run up and knock the ball off the kicking tee. Have you?

Ah right so kicking the ball away were another team are behind is ok
    But doing it from a kickout isn't?

I've seem countess times players stand in front of the ball when keepers trying to take quick kickouts

At the end if the day the tactic is to waste time.

Do you accept the behaviour of the Donegal lads on those two games or do you think they should be slated the same way as the Kerry lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

stuba wrote: »
    We'll beat ye playing Football or we'll beat ye with systems. It was puke football at its finest. I don't care, none of us care Sam is coming home. The only way to beat the system is play the system, and it leads to awful games. If Donegal wanted to come out and play man to man football we would have been delighted. We would have won by 10+ points.

It was a great day for Kerry, sticking it to the system. Alot of young lads on this team that have never won anything at intercounty level, and alot of older lads who it may be there last. This one is sweet, as sweet as ever. We even wrote ourselves off this year and they came through like no one could have expected. Fitzy is a god, people can go on about McGuiness all they want but he doesnt have a patch on Fitzy. Fitzy beat him at his own game.

Minors were massive also. Have been a great team all year, and got their due rewards. My god was it sweet when the Star called out Joe Brolly afterwards. Production lines in Kerry don't stop, ever! There is going to be quite a few players from this minor team who will please god make the transition to Senior, and the future is very bright.

I am not so sure ye would have. McGuinness got it spot on against Dublin, with their pace and power and all out attack, but I can't see why they needed to be so defensive against Kerry. Sure you probably needed to double mark O'Donoghue like Mayo did and probably a spare man near Donaghy also, but after that I can't see why they needed so many back.
    As I have said before the Donegal back 6 is probably the best in the country. Would give Kerry a slight advantage in midfield maybe. Neither team's half forward line is anything special and have nothing anywhere near the likes of Flynn and Connolly of Dublin.
    Kerry probably have the full forward line advantage with O'Donoghue and Donaghy, but Donegal with McBrearty and Murphy would have been fairly hard to handle also.
    For Donegal, the most disappointing thing would be that Kerry didn't have to be particularly good to win yesterday, and I actually thought they were quite poor. Their long range shooting and shot options were surprisingly very poor for Kerry, but Donegal conceded 2/3rds of the pitch to Kerry and so gave them enough ball to eventually muddle enough scores to win it. Dublin if they had not had to go for goals from a good bit out would probably have hit Donegal for 20+ points, they Kerry attack came nowhere near that level yesterday.

The same Donegal v Armagh game where an Armagh player knocked the Donegal doctor to the ground?

In your second example, Paddy McGrath was rightly black carded for that.

Thats the game

Black card does mean anything in last minute of game - idea is to waste time

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Can you tell me where I'll see footage of anyone doing the"exact same thing"...I think the reaction of the commentators tells us all we need to know!!!!

• Advertisement

Can you tell me where I'll see footage of anyone doing the"exact same thing"...I think the reaction of the commentators tells us all we need to know!!!!

Exact same thing = kicking ball away in last minute of game
    I've pointed out where Donegal did it twice this year - I've asked poster is this acceptable and they didn't respond

So I'll ask you - is it fair the Kerry lad gets slated when Donegal lads did very similar actions?

I've pointed out where Donegal did it twice this year - I've asked poster is this acceptable and they didn't respond

So I'll ask you - is it fair the Kerry lad gets slated when Donegal lads did very similar actions?

I'm talking about the furore over a
    Player kicking the ball off the goalkeepers tee.You wont see that anywhere!!

I'm talking about the furore over a
    Player kicking the ball off the goalkeepers tee.You wont see that anywhere!!

He's getting slated for kicking a ball 3 yards from a kickers kickout.

But when Donegal lad kicked it 40 yards in last minute of game v Armagh, when they had a side line to draw - no outrage.

When Donegal lad did it against Dublin - no outrage cause game was over.

But when I Kerry lad kicks 3 yards - the anti Kerry groups all come out and slate him.

I'll ask you again. Do you think the Donegal players deserve to be slated the same way as the Kerry man is today for his actions, or is it ok because it's different.

He's getting slated for kicking a ball 3 yards from a kickers kickout.

But when Donegal lad kicked it 40 yards in last minute of game v Armagh, when they had a side line to draw - no outrage.

When Donegal lad did it against Dublin - no outrage cause game was over.

But when I Kerry lad kicks 3 yards - the anti Kerry groups all come out and slate him.

I'll ask you again. Do you think the Donegal players deserve to be slated the same way as the Kerry man is today for his actions, or is it ok because it's different.

Yes, anyone kicking the ball off the goalkeepers tee would be.

Yes, anyone kicking the ball off the goalkeepers tee would be.

I love the way you just don't answer the question, you keep bringing in back to the goalkeeper tee.

Donegal have been guilty of unsportsmanship in many games this season, but a Kerry lad tapping the ball 3 yards is made out to be the worse thing ever this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

I thought the production last nite was quite good and the way that they had all the panellists around in a circle with each one contributing was a good idea.. However, I thought having Pat Spillane leading the debate for Player Of The Year, coaxing and cajoling the others as they gave their opinions, made no sense at all.. He was more like a lobbyuist than an objective panelist..

Oh and it was nice to see that Emmett Bolton got a mention for his fantastic goal... What they forgot to mention is that he was given a ridiculous black card shortly after for a challenge near the half way line, and with that went Kildare's chances of a win.. So while Liam O'Neill is clapping himself on the back about the black card, maybe he should think about that...

If they were using this "all year" grounding to choose playerd, Bolton would have never got a look in. Very bad league and apart from a few moments, an average championship. 2 nb goals v Monaghan but despite the harshness of the card it is silly to say it cost us the game. eoin Doyle is on the same level as Bolton but far more disciplined. i mean how many times have we seen Bolton forage foeqard to no avail and leave gaps in defence. He thrived under Mcgeeney but is far too footloose atm.

Anyway didnt Eoin Doyle come on and set up Lepper for a chance he should have scored but hit the post! I really dont think it cost us the game and even if it did, we would have been destroyed by Dublin the way we play in the quarters

Ya gotta love the anti Kerry guys, not one has condemn the unsportsmanship actions of the Donegal lads this season when pointed out, but a Kerry lad hitting the ball 3 yards is getting slated.

Everytime I put it to one of these posters, they either don't respond or respond talking about the goalkeeper incident.

All I can say is, Kerry are all Ireland champions - you can moan and slate Kerry all you want, but Donegal have shown themselves to be every bit to be unsportsmanship as any other county this season.

Best thing that can happen now is for McGuiness to go, which he probably will and for them to get a manager who plays football.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just a quick question. Should Michael Murphy have been penalised at the last play for Donegal for charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

The Donegal lads have a bad dose of 'System-itis' ..
    It was hilarious to watch them all running back to get into defense position, often times, they were so keen to get back they were running past the Kerry fella with the ball. ' hang on to that ball there will yea, I'll see you 15 yards down the pitch' .

Im a GAA fan but not from Kerry.
    It would have been a disaster if Donegal had won (PLAYING THE SYSTEM THEY ADOPT), we would have years of this defense rubbish. McGuinnes is a one trick pony and needed to reinvent the Donegal system and focus less on 'not losing the game' and more on 'going out to win the game'

Someone said Kerry won playing 'Puke' football... I disagree, it was PUCK football, King Puck! Good luck to them on their win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kingdom wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Should Michael Murphy have been penalised at the last play for Donegal for charging?

Thought that at the time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I thought Yes at the time, and still think the same any time I've seen it since. It's very rare you'll see a player pulled for barging these days, in either hurling or football.

Yes. Jumped into the tackle which is a free out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ya gotta love the anti Kerry guys, not one has condemn the unsportsmanship actions of the Donegal lads this season when pointed out, but a Kerry lad hitting the ball 3 yards is getting slated.

Everytime I put it to one of these posters, they either don't respond or respond talking about the goalkeeper incident. ............

MOD - A poster is under no obligation to respond to you. We've countless posts back and forth around the issue that's adding nothing to the thread.

Listrydude wrote: »
    Neutrals complaining that the game was boring? Wake up! Donegal fforced this display from Kerry and to be bluntly honest, people down here in the Kingdom don't give a hoot as to what 'neutrals' think or whether they enjoy a game. All we care is we won! Same as Dublin last year and Donegal before them. As for 'neutrals' Mayo or Cork fans are far from 'neutrals' when it comes to Kerry!! Just look at here or any social media outlet, over past few weeks! Ciarrai abu and to hell with the begrudgers!!

So what you are saying is you think we are silly to consider it a poor game even though you acknowledge the low quality of the game......... That makes sense.

And i dont think anyone on this forum who was left frustrated by the game is ignorant to the fact Kerry had to devise this gameplan, otherwise it was LIKELY they would lose. And not many if any have begrudged them, in fact many gave credit to the management and players.

That doesnt mean it wasnt a trash final in the footballing sense. 9 scores in a 47 minute period says a lot but the passing, shooting, retention was shocking for an All Ireland final. The defining moment in the game was the freakiest goal ive ever seen in a latter phased champ match. There was very little else to report home about.

You are essentially questioning why we are allowed to give our opinion on the game given our detachment from the game. If you were to tell me these sort of games were to be the future of GAA i wouldnt be happy as id like to think you wouldnt. i honestly think this was a one off and GAA is being played the way it should be and the way most want it to be in the vast majority of games.

So stop being so paranoid!

DoctaDee wrote: »
    MOD - A poster is under no obligation to respond to you. We've countless posts back and forth around the issue that's adding nothing to the thread.

Your right they don't, but a young man today is being slated from media and all angles for kicking a ball 3 yards away. Is that right - form of bullying one may say??? But I suppose that's ok in this day and age......

Not one person is condemning Donegal's similar actions of the course of this years championship. i.e. anti Kerry Brigade - have the same with Dublin.

Double standard in the media and on boards. Ban me if you like I'm pointing out the pure facts.

• Advertisement

thats childish attitude! You are essentially saying two wrongs make a right.
    What he done was wrpng, distasteful and petty. In fact if, as almost happened, the resulting play had led to mcfadden scoring it would of been the sequence of events following this schoolyard bullsh*t from BJK that cost them the win.

I genuinely dont know how you can defend it!

...... "but he did it first"........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is it that bloody hard to admit it wasn't the same? Jaysus, wonder what you'd be like if ye lost!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

thats childish attitude! You are essentially saying two wrongs make a right.
    What he done was wrpng, distasteful and petty. In fact if, as almost happened, the resulting play had led to mcfadden scoring it would of been the sequence of events following this schoolyard bullsh*t from BJK that cost them the win.

I genuinely dont know how you can defend it!

...... "but he did it first"........

I'm not defending it - I'm simply pointing out that there are double standard between posters and media, What Donegal did in 2 championship matches this season was every bit as bad, did I see twitter going mad about it? No

Did I see boards thread making as a deal about it? No

Did the media make a big deal out of it? No.

But one Kerry lad kicking the ball 3 yards, lead to him getting vilified by all accounts. and that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It was a tight, defensive game, but I found it fascinating and enjoyed it regardless. At times there was some poor stuff played, especially notable in the number of times the ball was kicked straight up and aimless into the air on attack due to defensive pressure by both sides, but it was an intriguing tactical battle. I certainly wasn't bored.

Different teams playing each other at different stages will lead to different types of matches. I don't think it's symptomatic at all of gaelic football becoming a dour sport.

Well done to Kerry. Winning an all-Ireland any season is a great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yes. Jumped into the tackle which is a free out.

Or a free-in at the Hill 16 end.

• Advertisement

Poster had work to do.

Time wasting is always bad, but if you think the example yesterday is the "exact same" as your examples, there's no point having a conversation about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I love the way you just don't answer the question, you keep bringing in back to the goalkeeper tee.

Donegal have been guilty of unsportsmanship in many games this season, but a Kerry lad tapping the ball 3 yards is made out to be the worse thing ever this season.

Kerry ahead, last few moments, it seemed a bit childish if anything.
    The reason why people are giving out about it is because it was a stupid thing to do.

I'm not defending it - I'm simply pointing out that there are double standard between posters and media, What Donegal did in 2 championship matches this season was every bit as bad, did I see twitter going mad about it? No

Did I see boards thread making as a deal about it? No

Did the media make a big deal out of it? No.

But one Kerry lad kicking the ball 3 yards, lead to him getting vilified by all accounts. and that is wrong.

It was highlighted at the time but not to the same extent. This is the All Ireland final, things like this ade going to be scrutinised a lot harder considering the higher podium of the game. Its the way of the media. Many people on here have acknowledged the donegal incidents and that shows they werent unnoticed. And maybe they should have been criticised more.

But that doesnt justify the pettiness of BJK! I mean what was even the point of it! It looked more pathetic than anything and his actions almost cost them the winning of the game. (ps i know his intention was to waste time but it was a pretty half hearted effort to do so!)

Oscar Pistorious, you are guilty of shooting your girlfriend...... "why?!! Sure didnt OJ do it and get away with it..."!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If it makes any difference to the argument I can tell ye all Barry John doesn't give the smallest hoot what people are saying about him on GAA Banter page or feckin twitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Did we see the future of Gaelic Football yesterday? Ultra blanket defence versus ultra blanket defence? 13 men behind the ball on both sides and invite the opposing team to break them down if they can or shoot from distance. The kick pass all but extinct. Difficulty scoring goals. The two goals came from a mistake or when Donegal didn't get their blanket defence into shape early on.

Well done to Kerry. I was hoping their victory would be a victory for skill over systems, and while they were the more skillfull players, it was in fact a victory for the system, the Donegal system which Kerry adopted.

Apparantly the ultra blanket system is very common at club level in Donegal, and even seemed to be in the minor game yesterday.

It wasn't a great game for the neutral to be fair, not that Kerry players and supporters will care too much.

As for Pat Spillane spouting about tradition, there was nothing traditional about Kerry yesterday. They've finally moved with the times and adopted the Northern blanket defence or ultra blanket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Kevin O'Brien won an all star in 1990 the same year his club won the all ireland.

AI club championship should be considered if someone is exceptional in it and backs it up with good intercounty performances.

We'll agree to disagree so. I have issues with it because if an intercounty player plays junior championship he will obviously be head and shoulders above his opponents, for example. Not to mention the fact that a corner back at intercounty could be playing in the forwards for his club due to his ability. Connolly is in a unique position as he plays for a top club and county in a similar role and his opponents for the most part will always be decent players; this would already be an advantage as he will be playing at a high level all year and I don't think it should be further compounded by taking his performances at club level into consideration.
    corny wrote: »
    By the same token plenty of fine players play for poorer intercounty teams and 'never get to a stage to showcase anything'. You had to make the semi final to get on the Sunday Game team lets not forget. In essence you're picking the team of the year based on a couple games.

I know that and I've posted about how frustrating this is. Colm O'Neill, as previously mentioned, was an animal this year and had Cork had gone further he'd have been in that team IMO; and this is Cork were talking about not even the smaller and lesser counties of the game. Championship is all that seems to count when considering the team of the year and as such the counties which don't progress don't get a look in; while I don't think this is right I also don't think the team of the year should extend to club football.

A solution might be to have a club team and an intercounty team of the year although I'd imagine not too many people would be too bothered about the club team of the year to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yesterday is a day that will live long in the annals of Kerry Football, Sam will rest easy in his rightful home deep in the County of Kerry. We are the great exponents of the game, the true holders of the flame, it is deep inside the soul of us to wear the Green and Gold.

We have a footballing empire unparalleled anywhere, yesterday the men from the Kingdom marched on Croke Park and laid siege to Donegal, We play football, we wrote the book, we are the standard bearers.

Donegal didn't come to Croke Park to play football, they came to play their own particular brand of Northern Puke but this young team from Kerry done exactly what was necessary and yesterday our boys became men on the field of battle. We closed out Donegal, we did what was necessary and we won ugly but another All-Ireland has been claimed by Kerry as is our birthright.

Yesterday was not a day for the purists and Donegal dragged Kerry down to their own level but Donegal miscalculated and Jimmy was outsmarted by Eamonn Fitzmaurice and even Donegal spies and espionage deep within Kingdom territory was not enough to figure out the masterstoke of genius that we pulled off yesterday, it was straight out of the book of pure Kerry cute hoorism.

We shell shocked Donegal deep to their foundations after 50 seconds, we announced that we are Kerry and you better believe it. We did exactly what was necessary, we don't do moral victories we are not Mayo, we are Kerry, we closed them out and used the brain, we did what it took and Sam Maguire rests easy tonight.

Kerry are the greatest and a reminder to that great classic of 2013 between Kerry and Dublin, there was no puke that day and Kerry wants to play football like how it should be played and fair play to Dublin back then for a great fast game. Kerry went in with a plan yesterday and came out holding Sam Maguire, we are still a team in transition, Kerry played bad yesterday mainly due to unfamiliarity with the Puke being played and really despite Donegal's system we should have them hammered out the gate by at least ten points as we shot several wides and missed two or three sitting goals.

However one thing happened yesterday which has been overshadowed and we must not forget is that the Kerry Minor Team bridged a 20 year wait to recapture the Tommy Markham Cup having lost their 3 previous finals in a row in 2006, 2004 and 1996. Yesterday was a red letter day, our Empire struck back with vengeance upon our doubters and our begrudgers. These lads will soon go onto their own immortal glory and will be called up into the senior panel for the heat of panel.

We now have 37 All-Ireland titles unparalleled in the association and I knew this was coming, ever hopeful yet cautious, we set the bar very high and the mini famine of 2010-2013 has now ended. Hunger is good sauce as we say and 9 Kerry players had no Celtic Cross yesterday. Now this is rectified and this young Kerry team in transition can position themselves well going forward and hopefully Colm Cooper will recover and if someday Tommy Walsh will return then we will march forward again because the talk in the Kingdom today is not of yesterday but of next year of Dublin and of a three-in-a-row which many people believe is in this team.

We are the Kingdom, we are sitting on the throne, the Ulster style of football marauding has been stopped and the natural order has been restored.

Tonight we celebrate,

Glory to the Mighty Kingdom

142-KY-SAM37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Donegal people must be feeling pretty down today...and then I remembered this from last week, that persons is feeling worse than most I should think. Maybe 121k isn't much to them. I hope that's the case for their sake...

realweirdo wrote: »
    Did we see the future of Gaelic Football yesterday? Ultra blanket defence versus ultra blanket defence? 13 men behind the ball on both sides and invite the opposing team to break them down if they can or shoot from distance. The kick pass all but extinct. Difficulty scoring goals. The two goals came from a mistake or when Donegal didn't get their blanket defence into shape early on.

Well done to Kerry. I was hoping their victory would be a victory for skill over systems, and while they were the more skillfull players, it was in fact a victory for the system, the Donegal system which Kerry adopted.

Apparantly the ultra blanket system is very common at club level in Donegal, and even seemed to be in the minor game yesterday.

It wasn't a great game for the neutral to be fair, not that Kerry players and supporters will care too much.

As for Pat Spillane spouting about tradition, there was nothing traditional about Kerry yesterday. They've finally moved with the times and adopted the Northern blanket defence or ultra blanket.

I wouldnt think so,I think Eamon Fitzmaurice has the players to suit whatever kind of game the opposition play,Donegal are defensive counter attacking team so he matched them up yesterday.

If a team wants to play an open game going score for score then Kerry are well capable of doing that as well.

Or a free-in at the Hill 16 end.

The Barry John Keane free?
    Referee got that one and a few others very wrong.

• Advertisement

Re Barry John wasnt he booked for kicking the ball away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Re Barry John wasnt he booked for kicking the ball away?

Black card I thought ?

realweirdo wrote: »

Did Kerry play ultra-defensive yesterday?
    I didn't think so.
    13 men behind the ball for Kerry, I was at the game and didn't see that?
    I didn't think they were any more defensive than they were against Mayo, just it looks a lot worse when there is only 1 or 2 forwards from the opposing team in your half.

Black card I thought ?

No, just booked I think. Buckley got a black card.

Black card I thought ?

No Buckley got the black card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yesterday is a day that will live long in the annals of Kerry Football, Sam will rest easy in his rightful home deep in the County of Kerry. We are the great exponents of the game, the true holders of the flame, it is deep inside the soul of us to wear the Green and Gold.

Donegal didn't come to Croke Park to play football, they came to play their own particular brand of Northern Puke but this young team from Kerry done exactly what was necessary and yesterday our boys became men on the field of battle. We closed out Donegal, we did what was necessary and we won ugly but another All-Ireland has been claimed by Kerry as is our birthright.

Neither team tried to play football yesterday. Kerry took the Donegal system and actually did it better than Donegal did.

Kerry's long range shooting was frankly appalling. Donegal were worse. Basic skills of the game were sadly lacking. The semi finals made the year but yesterday was in line with most of the rest of the championship with poor football on display for much of the game. Evey Kerry supporters would admit that.

I think this year it was a case of the least worst team winning.

Donegal struggled at times, Dublin struggled at times, Kerry played in fits and starts, Mayo the same. And yet these 4 counties seem to be the only ones realistically capable of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I saw a Donegal minor steal the kicking tee and shoulder the full back right in front of the keeper in the semi final. Distasteful doesn't do it justice. Its not unique to Kerry players unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

I wouldnt think so,I think Eamon Fitzmaurice has the players to suit whatever kind of game the opposition play,Donegal are defensive counter attacking team so he matched them up yesterday.

If a team wants to play an open game going score for score then Kerry are well capable of doing that as well.

I agree. We have played different types of games against Cork, Mayo and Donegal and against Dublin last year. It's a tactical versatility and it's great to see. For too long in the last decade we didn't have the ability to do this and ended up losing any physical battles against Tyrone (as well as Armagh in 02, Down in 10 and Donegal in 12). If you don't have it other teams will figure out your weakness and exploit it. It's good to see we've learned to adapt our game and mix it up. I strongly believe we'll be able to play our more traditional game, or play a more entertaining swashbuckling style, when it's appropriate.

I think if we were playing Dublin yesterday it would have been a much different type of game & would probably have ended up in a high scoring shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

You are essentially questioning why we are allowed to give our opinion on the game given our detachment from the game. If you were to tell me these sort of games were to be the future of GAA i wouldnt be happy as id like to think you wouldnt. i honestly think this was a one off and GAA is being played the way it should be and the way most want it to be in the vast majority of games.

So stop being so paranoid!

Of course I wouldnt be happy to see this type of football as the future. Kerry have the tactical ability as well as dept of talent to change the game depending on who the opposition.

Paranoia is what makes people climb trees for their mate, in case theres a guy with red hair training!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No Buckley got the black card

anyone know why ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement