Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Not 100% but think this is an up-to-date ages for the Donegal squad

Rory Kavanagh 32
    Christy Toye 32
    Neil Gallagher 31
    David Walsh 31
    Paul Durcan 30
    Eamon McGee 30
    Colm McFadden 30
    Karl Lacey 30
    Leon Thompson 29
    Neil McGee 29
    Anthony Thompson 28
    Frank McGlynn 28
    Michael Boyle 27
    Martin McElhinney 26
    Paddy McGrath 25
    Leo McLoone 25
    Michael Murphy 25
    Declan Walsh 25
    Conor Classon 24
    Mark McHugh 24
    Dermot Molloy 23
    Eamon Doherty 23
    Stephen McLaughlin 23
    Luke Keaney 22
    Odhrán Mac Niallais 22
    Patrick McBrearty 21
    Ryan McHugh 20
    Hugh McFadden 20
    Martin O'Reilly 20
    Darach O'Connor 18

At some stage very soon Donegal are going to hit the transition situation - a lot of the core members of the squad are coming to the end of their careers.

Will the young lads be able to step up and keep Donegal competitive at the top level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

robbiezero wrote: »
    I thought the exact same in the last 10 minutes. They made a massive bust after conceding the second goal and brought the lead back to 1 point, but looked wrecked after that. In fairness conceding the amount of possession they did to Kerry and Kerry switching the ball from side to side was bound to take a toll on the Donegal players.

Kerry did a great job in nullifying the threats of Murphy, Gallagher, McHugh, McGlynn and Lacey. Really, when your big game players like that aren't at the races, plus making too many errors, it's an up hill task. Brolly is right to that extent, Donegal play a percentage game, 9/10 times it will win out or keep them very, very competitive, but the early goal, the unforeseen second and a few other errors makes it a 50/50 game.
    mystic86 wrote: »
    Rubbish SamoBuc, that comment you made was following the comment that it is possible to play nice open traditional football and beat Donegal based on the fact that that is what happened last year to Donegal - if you listen to all the interviews and podcasts before the game you will see that McGuinness himself says that last year, compared to this year and 2012, Donegal were not right at all. He says their preparation was poor last year, that they didn't train nearly enough (compared to 2012 and 2014) and that things didn't happen the right way - which is why he nearly walked away from the management role this year, which resulted in the story about Murphy turning the car around (he was on the way to International Rules duty) and heading back to Donegal for a meeting with the team with a view to convincing McGuinness to stay on.

The system combined with the talent of some of their key players makes it very hard to beat Donegal playing naive open man-for-man football and Kerry were only being very intelligent to adapt their game on Sunday.

Exactly, it's obvious Donegal were way off last year, the Mayo game didn't mean a lot in the overall scheme of things. Monaghan, Armagh, Kerry and going back to Dublin in 2011 beat the "system" by joining them!

I don't know about Kerry winning by 7/8 points, Donegal nearly got in for 3 goals in the first half if we want to go down what ifs. Those goal threats dried up in the second half.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably a lot will depend on Jim. I can see most of the older lads giving it one more year, but it's a huge commitment, Karl going up and down to Limerick 2 evenings a week is just madness.

The minors doing well and picking up a couple of the U-21's should help. Looking at it long term I think we'll be the team to beat in Ulster for the next few years anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think its any good being under the 30 mark any more for Gaelic football.

With the level of running and fitness at all-time high levels, I think its a young mans game, and even those around the 27 or 28 mark, who have had many years of hard training and football, will find it tough.

I'd be thinking 25 and under, with the odd older, more experiences player will be the make up of future winning teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Lacey needs an extended break in my opinion. The problem with that of course is he is an exceptional footballer and an outstanding person on top of that. So you're missing out on his footballing ability and his leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed on both above points. The likes of Durcan, two McGees, McGlynn, and Murphy (as well as the +30 crew) have all played a lot of football and put in a lot of hours over the years. All could do with a break. I think it would be an idea to give them an extended break once the club championships are done, possibly coming back into the squad towards the second half of the league campaign (or even resting them for the whole thing for some of them) but I'm sure once they have time to regroup, Jim and the lads will think about what is best for all concerned. We should have enough depth in the county now to be able to remain competitive in the league without some of the more senior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

A very important point. Young O'Connor had a shot in the first half that took the merest glance off the inside of the keeper's leg and went out (for a 45 which the umpire inexplicably missed). Was Kerry's first goal as a result of someone going for a point that was half charged down and thus fell short? Mc Fadden's last minute effort rebounded off the outside of the post. Durcan's error actually cost about 1-2, given the way he responded. These were all fine margins - if they had gone the other way, we could have been lauding Donegal for the patient way in which they reeled Kerry in, refusing to panick after conceding an early goal. Fine margins indeed.

I also recall one particular incident - just before half time - when Lacey had the chance to pop a ball to a player running inside, that would have left him clear, fourteen yards from goal - again a split second decision that I remember thinking at the time could prove very costly.
    That was the one moment of the match Id have most regret about- I think it was McLoone who was running ahead of Lacey that time and hes actually a very good goal finisher. I dont know how Lacey didnt see him-I was in the uppr Davin and I saw him!! I also saw the Kerry defender tap the ball over the line after Jiggers shot-somehow the umpire missed it from a yard.

But anyway,we got a few let offs ourselves and alot of frees in the first half so cant complain. I dont even feel Durcans kickout was a major turning point-we were playing so bad at the time that i would have expected Kerry to win the game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Whatever Crowley (I think) was doing tapping it out there was weird - you could understand the umpire missing the slight touch by Kelly, but why Crowley didn't leave it cross the line on it's own I'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Agreed on both above points. The likes of Durcan, two McGees, McGlynn, and Murphy (as well as the +30 crew) have all played a lot of football and put in a lot of hours over the years. All could do with a break. I think it would be an idea to give them an extended break once the club championships are done, possibly coming back into the squad towards the second half of the league campaign (or even resting them for the whole thing for some of them) but I'm sure once they have time to regroup, Jim and the lads will think about what is best for all concerned. We should have enough depth in the county now to be able to remain competitive in the league without some of the more senior players.
    Yes but it would seem that in order to achieve peak fitness in Jul/Aug/Sep you need to be training full tilt early in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I have to agree that too many August/September football watchers fail to understand the game.

Those that think Kerry played blanket defence would again want to watch the match. Kerry in general went man to man. What they did do is put a system in place to block the fast break/counter attack. This entailed 2 half backs staying in position most of the time Killian Young and Johnny Crowley. This nullified the Donegal attack.

If you look at it refree gave Donegal a number of soft free in the first half, one on Buckley on Cusack Stand side outside the '45 was the most blatent. When Donegal had possession from the short kickout, Kerry's inside forwards harrassed them them all the way to the half way line. This prevented Donegal building up momentum/intensity. In general however Kerry always 4-5 in the Donegal half the same could not be said the other way around. If Donegal turned over Kerry the Kerry players did not run blindly back to a defensive position.

Fitzmaurices got the matchups right, O'Shea on McFadden, Murphy on Mchugh O'Mahoney on Murphy and Mcguiness had the wrong man on Greany. If we had not got the first goal we would have got one anyway. Kerry had 3 balls off the uprights that could have been points.

What is a real difference and most have not relised it yet is the way Kerry target the short kickout. Too may teams concede possession here or make token gestures towards targetting it. The big Don nearly got to another Durcan ball, and last year we nearly got to Cluxton. Having said that it is not Durcans or Cluxton fault it is the system that is installed. Durcan deserved his Goalie position as he was a little unlucky that the Big Don guessed right. I taught he get caught for pace on the run in to score.

Everybody forgets that Kerry always manage to meet new challanges. The reality is that they adapted there game all year long to beat Cork, Mayo and finally Donegal all credit to Fitzmaurice. I always taught that Dublin would not do back to back AI's. I taught that they would struggle against a team that stayed with them into the second half.

Kerry will continue to adapt and look to take the blancket defence apart. Yesterday there shooting at long range was not effective but with practice after a year or two points from 40-50 metres out may become more common place. Kerry's ability to find players to do a job is stunning. Would Paul Murphy come throung in another county after not being seen underage. The bit players in Kerry are always found the Barry John Keane, the Shane Enright the Kieron O'Leary that has a 4-5 year or less career.

Not a classic All Ireland but they all count no 38 counting the Hurling one as well so top of the pile on total no of AI's as well. An amazing achievement considering how many county;s play football compared to hurling.

Kerry abú

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Well done Kerry, terrible match. We had to adopt to counter the Donegal system other wise we would have been hammered like Dublin. Have read through a lot of comments on here. As always when Kerry win in the football people find something to moan about. Its not our fault Dublin didnt make the final; and that Mayo couldn't finish the job when they got their chances in Croke Park and Limerick. All that matters is the we won.
    Great to see the minors win too. First crop of minors to come all the way through the North Kerry and South Kerry development squads from U12 to U18. A lot of former county lads like Sean O'Sullivan, Michael Quirke, Liam Brosnan doing powerful work at underage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I have to agree that too many August/September football watchers fail to understand the game.

Those that think Kerry played blanket defence would again want to watch the match. Kerry in general went man to man. What they did do is put a system in place to block the fast break/counter attack. This entailed 2 half backs staying in position most of the time Killian Young and Johnny Crowley. This nullified the Donegal attack.

If you look at it refree gave Donegal a number of soft free in the first half, one on Buckley on Cusack Stand side outside the '45 was the most blatent. When Donegal had possession from the short kickout, Kerry's inside forwards harrassed them them all the way to the half way line. This prevented Donegal building up momentum/intensity. In general however Kerry always 4-5 in the Donegal half the same could not be said the other way around. If Donegal turned over Kerry the Kerry players did not run blindly back to a defensive position.

Fitzmaurices got the matchups right, O'Shea on McFadden, Murphy on Mchugh O'Mahoney on Murphy and Mcguiness had the wrong man on Greany. If we had not got the first goal we would have got one anyway. Kerry had 3 balls off the uprights that could have been points.

What is a real difference and most have not relised it yet is the way Kerry target the short kickout. Too may teams concede possession here or make token gestures towards targetting it. The big Don nearly got to another Durcan ball, and last year we nearly got to Cluxton. Having said that it is not Durcans or Cluxton fault it is the system that is installed. Durcan deserved his Goalie position as he was a little unlucky that the Big Don guessed right. I taught he get caught for pace on the run in to score.

Everybody forgets that Kerry always manage to meet new challanges. The reality is that they adapted there game all year long to beat Cork, Mayo and finally Donegal all credit to Fitzmaurice. I always taught that Dublin would not do back to back AI's. I taught that they would struggle against a team that stayed with them into the second half.

Kerry will continue to adapt and look to take the blancket defence apart. Yesterday there shooting at long range was not effective but with practice after a year or two points from 40-50 metres out may become more common place. Kerry's ability to find players to do a job is stunning. Would Paul Murphy come throung in another county after not being seen underage. The bit players in Kerry are always found the Barry John Keane, the Shane Enright the Kieron O'Leary that has a 4-5 year or less career.

Not a classic All Ireland but they all count no 38 counting the Hurling one as well so top of the pile on total no of AI's as well. An amazing achievement considering how many county;s play football compared to hurling.

Kerry abú

Well done, you get an award for being both condescending and completely wrong all in one post.
    Kerry had the house behind the ball for a lot of that game.
    And they were right to too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Well done, you get an award for being both condescending and completely wrong all in one post.

Agreed about the condescending bit.

The All-Ireland was a bit of a joke up to about 1920 and a bit of a joke for most of the 1920s too. Connacht and Ulster were very disorganised before then so it was really a case of a munster team against a Leinster team in the final every year. So how many AIs have Kerry won since 1920? That would be a more realistic count. Still a lot I would say.

Having said that, Kerry seem to win a lot of their AIs in less than vintage years and 2014 was definitely that.

When Tyrone were badly hit by injuries in the 2000s, Kerry cleaned up. As soon as Tyrone were back full strength Kerry couldn't win. 1997 was also a less than vintage year.

As for the 1970s and 1980s, its well known that Ulster teams were uncompetitive largely due to the troubles. Up to about 1970, Ulster teams would compete in AI finals fairly regularly. But from 1969 until 1990, only 2 Ulster teams competed I think in finals, Armagh and Tyrone.

realweirdo wrote: »

The All-Ireland was a bit of a joke up to about 1920 and a bit of a joke for most of the 1920s too. Connacht and Ulster were poorly organised before then so it was really a case of a munster team against a Leinster team in the final every year. So how many AIs have Kerry won since 1920? That would be a more realistic count. Still a lot I would say.

Having said that, Kerry seem to win a lot of their AIs in less than vintage years and 2014 was definitely that.

When Tyrone were badly hit by injuries in the 2000s, Kerry cleaned up. As soon as Tyrone were back full strength Kerry couldn't win. 1997 was also a less than vintage year.

The stakes have been raised, now they were all soft ones.

The fact that we'd actually be six titles FURTHER ahead at the top of the roll of honour if we started counting at 1930 leaves your whole post in a sort of limbo between nonsense and irrelevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

The All-Ireland was a bit of a joke up to about 1920 and a bit of a joke for most of the 1920s too. Connacht and Ulster were poorly organised before then so it was really a case of a munster team against a Leinster team in the final every year. So how many AIs have Kerry won since 1920? That would be a more realistic count. Still a lot I would say.

Are you Joe Brolly. So when Kerry win it is not a vintage year. There must be quite a few non-vintage years so as they have won the most AIs. Kerry have also lost most finals than any other team which means they are most of the time near the top.
    Did you ever think that other teams win the years Kerry are not at their best.

Must have imagined the Kerry sweepers.

Man to Man aye!

Well Cork were awful in the Munster final, I won't mention the Mayo games and the ref, and Donegal were poor in the final. Kerry were only really tested against Mayo and weren't great for large stretches of both games. Their shooting was awful for much of both. Luckily the penalties came to their rescue in the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Must have imagined the Kerry sweepers.

Man to Man aye!

Well they were man to man....just with a couple of extra sweepers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Well Cork were awful in the Munster final, I won't mention the Mayo games and the ref, and Donegal were poor in the final. Kerry were only really tested against Mayo and weren't great for large stretches of both games. Their shooting was awful for much of both. Luckily the penalties came to their rescue in the replay.

How are the sour grapes tasting. The bitterness in your posts are a joy to behold for us kerry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

ote="lweirdo;9230"]Agreed about the cog bit.

The All-Ireland was a bit of a joke about 1920 and a bit of a joke for most of the 1920s too. Connacht and Ulster were very disorganised before then so it was really a case of a munster team against a Leinster team in the final every year. So how many AIs have Kerry won since 1920? That would be a more realistic count. Still a lot I would say.

As for the 1970s and 1980s, its well known that Ulster teams were uncompetitive largely due to the troubles. Up to about 1970, Ulster teams would compete in AI finals fairly regularly. But from 1969 until 1990, only 2 Ulster teams competed I think in finals, Armagh and Tyrone.[/quote]

haha ladies and gentlemen the award for the dumbest most jealous post gos to this stuppid post.

• Advertisement

Sour, jealousy, and clearly no understanding of football #37

ote="lweirdo;9230"]Agreed about the cog bit.

The All-Ireland was a bit of a joke about 1920 and a bit of a joke for most of the 1920s too. Connacht and Ulster were very disorganised before then so it was really a case of a munster team against a Leinster team in the final every year. So how many AIs have Kerry won since 1920? That would be a more realistic count. Still a lot I would say.

As for the 1970s and 1980s, its well known that Ulster teams were uncompetitive largely due to the troubles. Up to about 1970, Ulster teams would compete in AI finals fairly regularly. But from 1969 until 1990, only 2 Ulster teams competed I think in finals, Armagh and Tyrone.

haha ladies and gentlemen the award for the dumbest most jealous post gos to this stuppid post.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you figured out how to quote properly...

Sour, jealousy, and clearly no understanding of football #37

No not really, just pointing out some facts. A lot of Kerry titles came in poor/uncompetitive years for Gaelic football.

If Dublin, Donegal, Mayo and a few other counties get their act together next year, I don't think this average Kerry team will win next year. I don't think most people would have an issue with that statement.

haha ladies and gentlemen the award for the dumbest most jealous post gos to this stuppid post.

Maybe if you figured out how to quote properly...[/quote]

I'd rather understand football something you clearly don't, stick to the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No not really, just pointing out some facts. A lot of Kerry titles came in poor/uncompetitive years for Gaelic football.

If Dublin, Donegal, Mayo and a few other counties get their act together next year, I don't think this average Kerry team will win next year. I don't think most people would have an issue with that statement.
    Lol, this average Kerry team dealt pretty well with Mayo and Donegal this year.

Tommy Walsh, Gooch, and a few lads from the minor team are only going to strengthen this team.

Average teams don't win the All Ireland.

10. Tommy Walsh
    11. Gooch
    12. Buckley
    13. Geaney
    14. Donaghy
    15. JO'D

Average enough forward line, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Lol, this average Kerry team dealt pretty well with Mayo and Donegal this year.

Tommy Walsh, Gooch, and a few lads from the minor team are only going to strengthen this team.

Average teams don't win the All Ireland.

10. Tommy Walsh
    11. Gooch
    12. Buckley
    13. Geaney
    14. Donaghy
    15. JO'D

Average enough forward line, I suppose.

No Donncha Walsh :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah jaysis don't stop there, the only real All Irelands are ones that were televised in colour so say from 1975 on .. so 15 nah, that would still be too many - ah the new Sam Maguire they've only won that 7 times, that'll do,

It never ceases to amaze me how ungracious some people are in this sport ..

radharc wrote: »

Donncha Walsh did nothing this year, be honest. I'm one of his biggest fans but even I have to admit he was annonymous save for a couple of cynical tackles.

DDC immediately goes onto my hit list after that travesty :eek::pac:

Always a good way to judge someone's knowledge of football their opinion of Donnchadh Walsh IMO.
    Donncha Walsh did nothing this year, be honest. I'm one of his biggest fans but even I have to admit he was annonymous save for a couple of cynical tackles.

Oh dear. Walsh's performance in the Croke Park semi-final was probably his best ever in a Kerry jersey. He has been superb all year.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    DDC immediately goes onto my hit list after that travesty :eek::pac:

Always a good way to judge someone's knowledge of football their opinion of Donnchadh Walsh IMO.

Oh dear. Walsh's performance in the Croke Park semi-final was probably his best ever in a Kerry jersey. He has been superb all year.

What did he do this year? I'm trying to remember and struggling. Points, goals, assists?

Each post just demonstrates more that your just a troll.

I hope nobody else wastes their time replying to your wind up posts.

Each post just demonstrates more that your just a troll.

I hope nobody else wastes their time replying to your wind up posts.

Not a troll at all, but look it, if you are going to get upset when people ask questions, is there any point us having a discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The All-Ireland was a bit of a joke up to about 1920 and a bit of a joke for most of the 1920s too. Connacht and Ulster were very disorganised before then so it was really a case of a munster team against a Leinster team in the final every year. So how many AIs have Kerry won since 1920? That would be a more realistic count. Still a lot I would say.

Others team should really start doing this as well. its a great idea that, Picking up all-Ireland's in bad years.

Kilkenny hurling team has this habit as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Lads calling someone out as a troll is viewed as backseat moderation, please report the post

Relax lads, I'm giving Donnacha Walsh a rest in the Munster championship, and then Tommy can rotate with Donaghy, in being the impact sub.

The one thing that annoyed me on the Sunday game, was that Walsh wasn't mentioned once by any of them for the 12 position, possibly because Daddy McHugh was there.

Walsh has been outstanding this year, apart from the Clare game. I appreciate that McHugh had a good year, but over the whole year Walsh has been the stand out number 12.

• Advertisement

Glad to see some love coming for Walsh, really think he is one of the most under-rated footballers in the country, the day of a half forward being measured by their scoring total are surely well gone.

Relax lads, I'm giving Donnacha Walsh a rest in the Munster championship, and then Tommy can rotate with Donaghy, in being the impact sub.

The one thing that annoyed me on the Sunday game, was that Walsh wasn't mentioned once by any of them for the 12 position, possibly because Daddy McHugh was there.

Walsh has been outstanding this year, apart from the Clare game. I appreciate that McHugh had a good year, but over the whole year Walsh has been the stand out number 12.

Personally think McHugh has been blown up excessively on the back of a great semi final performance. A poor man's Mark McHugh imo.

What did he do this year? I'm trying to remember and struggling. Points, goals, assists?

Ultimate link player between attack and defence. Excellent at covering back as an auxiliary defender. Immaculate positioning, brilliant foot passer, always available as an out ball.

The amount of times a Kerry player was in trouble on the ball in the two semi-finals where you think a turnover is coming, only for Walsh to arrive on the scene in support was ridiculous.

He is always the player other players on the team point to as the one who makes their job easier, that goes for backs, forwards and midfielders.

I agree.

McHugh has done well for Donegal this year. Personally I've been more impressed with MacNiallas however he won't get anywhere near an all star or YPOTY because of McHugh's profile. MacNiallas has had the bigger impact for me and he's been a better 'find'.

Personally think McHugh has been blown up excessively on the back of a great semi final performance. A poor man's Mark McHugh imo.
    I thought he had a brilliant Ulster final as well

However Walsh has been excellent vs Cork, Galway, Mayo (x2) and Donegal.

The workrate of the man is incredible. He wins an enormous amount of dirty ball around the middle, tracks back all day, is an excellent footpasser and his movement off the ball is a joy to behold.

• Advertisement

He's a better footballer than Mark in the pure sense of the word. Better on the ball, smarter, cuter. He'll be a great player for us in the future no question about it.

Kilcar have a brave group from 17-23 at the minute. If they keep it together they'll start cleaning up in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Your bitterness and resentment of Kerry's win is laughable. Donegal didn't get going because they weren't allowed to get going. Yes we were lucky against mayo but show me an AI winning side in history that didn't have a bit of luck.

I think your post about Kerry only winning things in non vintage years is the real gem though. Had a good lol on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Absolutely ridiculous that

Not a troll at all, but look it, if you are going to get upset when people ask questions, is there any point us having a discussion?

Fair enough I'll withdraw that comment so,

But it's more than a little disrespectful to say Kerry only won all Irelands during poor championships over the last 130 years.

Donnacha Walsh is one of the hardest working players, in my view he's second to Paul Flynn for work rate.

Fair enough I'll withdraw that comment so,

But it's more than a little disrespectful to say Kerry only won all Irelands during poor championships over the last 130 years.

Donnacha Walsh is one of the hardest working players, in my view he's second to Paul Flynn for work rate.

Wouldn't complain if Donegal suddenly started winning these 'poor championships' which much happen alot.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Re: McBrearty.....

I've no idea why but he just hasn't performed this season when he has started games whereas he has always made an immediate impact when he's been brought on. He scored two points almost from the get go yesterday but he also missed two fairly poor efforts not too long after.
    Its easy now saying it was a shocking mistake by JMG not to start him but thats how he has been this season through league and championship. Whatever is holding him back when he starts would need to disappear over the winter as I've a feeling he's gonna be badly needed from the start next season.

i reckon he just performs better against tiring defences. Thats the only explanation i can think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

73C1iW8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Explain the condescending part. The reality is you have given no counter argument. Kerry's two half back did not get caught up field like Dublins half back line. A sweeper is an extra player that is pulled back to play as a defender. By the half backs holding there positions they prevented the fasy break, Crowley stood up donegal players coming throught with the ball like he did with Aidan O'Shea in the semi's. They also prevented Donegal runners coming through fast on to a kicked ball. They are half back's not attackers.

Fitzmaurice got the match up's rights. We had definately two balls back off the upright if not three. If you looked at it from a birds eye view you never saw Kerry players racing back with there back to the ball. As Donegal attacked we picked them up invidually and did not race back to for a defencive curtain. We played a totally different game to that which defeated Mayo

The key was the targeting of the kickouts. Durcan had a strong sun in his eyes in the second half and had no hat on a tactical error on his behalf. Cluxton was similary shattered after Kerry nearly got to one of his kick out last year.

My mother was saying that Donegal spent so much on the training camps, and helicopter trips for training that they couldn't afford the hat for Durcan.

In all honesty, I feel really sorry for Durcan. He was stand out all year (2 goals conceded) but didn't seem right all game. He was indecisive (apart from one high ball that he came out an claimed) nearly getting caught from that long ball from JO'D that nearly bounced into the net, the shot that bounced off the post and the wayward kickouts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement