Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yep. The bastard!

This thread is danger of going around in circles and descending (further) into bitterness and sniping.

Kerry were set up well, had a great intensity and hunger to win and caused Donegal problems. Several of there big players needed to play well and they did. Donegal themselves by comparison were flat and couldn't raise a performance level which was good enough to win the match. Several of their big players had off days and others couldn't get into the game due to good marking or whatever, McHugh and Jigger struggled physically. They played quite well defensively at times in the first half but offensively were lethargic and didn't ask enough of Kerry. When they did they looked dangerous. Could have stolen a draw at the end but it would have been scarcely deserved.

That's the fairest summary I think on both counts.

That's as good a note to end this thread on as any I think, good summary Nidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Why do you think Kerry missed those chances eh? Not because of the pressure being applied maybe? Credit to Kerry for being the better team but how about a little bit of credit to Donegal for having some part to play in those misses!

I definitely think some of the reduced return in terms of Kerry's shooting was down Donegal's pressure but some of it was simply part of an off day for the Kerry players.

Most disappointing was Maher's effort when he was in acres of space and had loads of time to set himself for his shot - he'd normally put those over with his eyes closed.

JOD had 1 effort that he would normally have converted and he wasnt under huge pressure.

Aidan had his traditional hit and hope effort at the post [Of all Kerry players he must have the worst conversion rate in terms of shooting in the last 20 years]

1 of D Walsh's effort when he was in reasonable space was one that he would normally convert.

There were a couple more efforts that I would have put down as poor shot selection [caused by Donegal pressure] by some of the Kerry players and this is normally not something you would see with Kerry sides. As against that for a number of these lads it was their first team playing Donegal so they will surely learn from it.

I'd say the only Kerry player happy with his shooting the last day was Paul Murphy's who had a 100% hit rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Kerry's poor shooting was a mixture of good Donegal defending and bad execution by kerry, kerry kicked 13 wides and another 3 or 4 dropped short.
    Of Kerry's misses at least 6 or 7 of them were just bad misses and little to do with Donegal. However Donegal overall did defend very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

"Masterclass, unbeatable and system"

What are words that are hugely overused in GAA circles Alex?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Rookster wrote: »
    The pundits who went for Kerry were either from there or had have ties with the county.(podge collins is half kerry and would be killed if he went for Donegal).
    The Spillane interview I was talking about is the one pitch side before the game and not on the highlights programme. And I agree he is disrespectful at times to other counties.

I think podge collins went for donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

I watched what Aidan O'Mahony did to Michael Murhpy when the ball was 60 yards up the field. He was in his face, he was trash talking, he was thumping and pulling when the ball was no where close. There was one point after 30-40 seconds of one of these instances where Murphy suddenly turned around and grabbed him by the collar, it was obvious that whatever O'Mahony was saying had stepped over the line.

This was going quite a bit during the game. At one point approximately half way through the first half Murphy had three Kerry players surrounding him, hitting and pushing him and the ball was up the far end of the field, it really was disgraceful behaviour.

That's not to take away from Kerry's win, they were the better team on the day and deserved the win. Their fans that I spoke with after the game were very gracious in victory, no gloating ... I guess when you win that often you learn to win with class!!

Well done Kerry, hopefully Donegal will come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

gallyer wrote: »
    This was going quite a bit during the game. At one point approximately half way through the first half Murphy had three Kerry players surrounding him, hitting and pushing him and the ball was up the far end of the field, it really was disgraceful behaviour.

That's not to take away from Kerry's win, they were the better team on the day and deserved the win. Their fans that I spoke with after the game were very gracious in victory, no gloating ... I guess when you win that often you learn to win with class!!

Dont worry ye will,too many good footballers in that team for them not to be pushing for Sam again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

gallyer wrote: »

Just on that incident, not claiming that Mahoney is a saint or anything, but if its the same incident that i'm thinking of, Murphy brought it on himself.

AOM was following him around for the whole game, and the ball had just gone for a 45, and Moran was lining up to take it.

Mahoney put his hand on Murphy's jersey (he'd been doing it all game) and Murphy threw back the elbow at Mahoney.

The Kerry lads saw this, and took exception, and came in to have a go at Murphy.

It may have been a different incident, but on that occasion it was the elbow that drew the Kerry players in.

I understand Murphy's frustration. Aidan had been skin tight to him all game, he was holding his jersey, and he was preventing Murphy getting into the game.

On the supporters, the Donegal fans, while clearly disappointed, were very gracious in defeat also. They shook hands, congratulated us and didn't complain.

I was talkng to a woman after the game from Dublin, and she said she genuinely didn't know who had won, because she watched the fans stream down Drumcondra with a neutral look on their faces. She said no one looked devastated and no one looked smug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Just on that incident, not claiming that Mahoney is a saint or anything, but if its the same incident that i'm thinking of, Murphy brought it on himself.

AOM was following him around for the whole game, and the ball had just gone for a 45, and Moran was lining up to take it.

Mahoney put his hand on Murphy's jersey (he'd been doing it all game) and Murphy threw back the elbow at Mahoney.

The Kerry lads saw this, and took exception, and came in to have a go at Murphy.

It may have been a different incident, but on that occasion it was the elbow that drew the Kerry players in.

I understand Murphy's frustration. Aidan had been skin tight to him all game, he was holding his jersey, and he was preventing Murphy getting into the game.

On the supporters, the Donegal fans, while clearly disappointed, were very gracious in defeat also. They shook hands, congratulated us and didn't complain.

I was talkng to a woman after the game from Dublin, and she said she genuinely didn't know who had won, because she watched the fans stream down Drumcondra with a neutral look on their faces. She said no one looked devastated and no one looked smug.

In fairness if someone is hanging out of your jersey they either deserve and elbow as murphy did or to be sent off. O'Mahoney mustn't have thought he could take murphy fair and square within the rules.

On the fans all looking the same after the game. That's why I hate KERRY so much. They don't celebrate like other teams do and it's all very boring and bland. Dublin 2013, 2011, Donegal 2012, Cork 2010, Tyrone 2003, 2005, 2008, Armagh 2002 all celebrated way more than Kerry do.

I just wish they'd win nothing for a good 20 years so they'd start appreciating it a bit more and celebrate it like they've just won the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    In fairness if someone is hanging out of your jersey they either deserve and elbow as murphy did or to be sent off. O'Mahoney mustn't have thought he could take murphy fair and square within the rules.

On the fans all looking the same after the game. That's why I hate KERRY so much. They don't celebrate like other teams do and it's all very boring and bland. Dublin 2013, 2011, Donegal 2012, Cork 2010, Tyrone 2008, Armagh 2002 all celebrate way more than Kerry do.

I just wish they'd win nothing for a good 20 years so they'd start appreciating it a bit more.

cartoon-bitter2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

On the fans all looking the same after the game. That's why I hate KERRY so much. They don't celebrate like other teams do and it's all very boring and bland. Dublin 2013, 2011, Donegal 2012, Cork 2010, Tyrone 2008, Armagh 2002 all celebrate way more than Kerry do.

I just wish they'd win nothing for a good 20 years so they'd start appreciating it a bit more.

You were not in Dublin last Sunday night we had a right lash. And we celebrate fater as well and that f@@king cup will be kicked from one end of Kerry to the other before next year. Ever back worth his salt pulls and drags to upset his opponent. Gooch got his fair share of looking after in matches. But Kerry will no longer allow teams to bully them on the field. If teams want to play football we will play football, if they want to play tidlywinks we will play that as well. But if they want to belt sh!te out of our forwards we will do it to theirs as well.

cartoon-bitter2.gif

what's bitter about my post? can you not accept the fact that kerry winning the AI equals less celebrations than any other team in ireland?

Kilkenny the same in hurling to an extent but they celebrate it more than Kerry. I would love nothing more than anyone but Kilkenny winning the hurling. Does that make me bitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

what's bitter about my post? can you not accept the fact that kerry winning the AI equals less celebrations than any other team in ireland?

Kilkenny the same in hurling to an extent but they celebrate it more than Kerry. I would love nothing more than anyone but Kilkenny winning the hurling. Does that make me bitter?

Utter rubbish. How do you know what it means to us? Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

You were not in Dublin last Sunday night we had a right lash. And we celebrate fater as well and that f@@king cup will be kicked from one end of Kerry to the other before next year. Ever back worth his salt pulls and drags to upset his opponent. Gooch got his fair share of looking after in matches. But Kerry will no longer allow teams to bully them on the field. If teams want to play football we will play football, if they want to play tidlywinks we will play that as well. But if they want to belt sh!te out of our forwards we will do it to theirs as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but were Kerry targeted with the same dirty tactics from Donegal? It's not Tyrone of 2003-2008 you were playing so no need to fear! I always thought Donegal to play hard and fair not bully teams.

And btw I was in Dublin after the final. I go to ever final be it hurling or football. Went out after the final in town just like i did after the clare v cork replay last year and the donegal win the year before. Kerry and Donegal fans alike are great craic but when it comes to the match itself Kerry are the worst!

It's what happens when a team wins so much and it sickens me!

Utter rubbish. How do you know what it means to us? Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

well for a start the number of people who stayed for the lap of honor was way lower than Donegal or Dublin's win the last 2 years. I reckon that's a sign it means a lot more to other counties and it makes sense considering they've al won it a lot less than you. That's not rubbish it's common sense.

well for a start the number of people who stayed for the lap of honor was way lower than Donegal or Dublin's win the last 2 years. I reckon that's a sign it means a lot more to other counties and it makes sense considering they've al won it a lot less than you. That's not rubbish it's common sense.

Donegal outnumbered us by Atleast 3/1.
    Plus all the natural fans like you who wouldn't hang around.
    Plenty of fans did but I'm sure you did a head count.

If you don't like Kerry good luck to you jealousy is an ugly trait , but we are well used to that in Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If you don't like Kerry good luck to you jealousy is an ugly trait , but we are well used to that in Kerry.

Does Donegal outnumbering Kerry fans by 3 to 1 not confirm his point?

Correct me if I'm wrong but were Kerry targeted with the same dirty tactics from Donegal? It's not Tyrone of 2003-2008 you were playing so no need to fear! I always thought Donegal to play hard and fair not bully teams.

And btw I was in Dublin after the final. I go to ever final be it hurling or football. Went out after the final in town just like i did after the clare v cork replay last year and the donegal win the year before. Kerry and Donegal fans alike are great craic but when it comes to the match itself Kerry are the worst!

It's what happens when a team wins so much and it sickens me!

Donaghy needed a saddle on his back every time he went for a ball there was at least two Donegal players trying to climb on to it. Maybe you did not see the belt that Micheal Murphy gave Connolly in the semi-final. Mayo were the same with Donaghy. Last year Dublin took the Gooch out of it in the final ten minutes. In 2011 I suppose it was Declan O'Sullivans own fault that he was concussed.

I go to all the Football finals. Now to be fair I stay in the city center but last year after Dublin Mayo it was as dead as a duck, same year before with Donegal/Mayo. The year Cork won there supporters were around the city center tbf.

I think it just Kerry winning that sickens you

It confirms nothing,

Kerry have been traditionally outnumbered in big games.
    Don't talk about us not celebrating wins when you don't know what your on about.

• Advertisement

Kerry fans not rubbing it in Donegal's face does not mean that it didn't mean anything to Kerry.

Kerry fans know what it is like to lose All Irelands and know that you celebrate with your fans, and cheer on your team, and when you are in public afterwards you are respecful, because there are 50% of the fans walking home that don't feel how you do.

This All Ireland means a hell of a lot to me personally, and from what I can see to the players and management.

of course i'm jealous! why wouldn't i be!! my county has 30 less titles to yours but at this stage i don't get worked up over meath. we are long gone. i still enjoy the games and attend most matches now as a neutral. Obviously Kerry winning is bad from my point of view. Nothing wrong with it.

And DOnegal outnumber you 3/1? Does that not prove my point about other counties caring a lot more?

Limerick in the hurling for example out numbered kilkenny about 3/1 in the semi this year. Obviously I was cheering for them just like i was for donegal against kerry.

And yeah I did hang around right till the very end after the lap of honor. Sitting up comfortably in the premium section like I always do!

Yes it does. He proved my point for me and he still doesn't agree!!

Yes it does. He proved my point for me and he still doesn't agree!!

Man I know a wee bit about Meath football and I wouldn't be pointing the finger at Kerry.

I'd rather win with humility than sing ole ole ole
    as the Meath boys did in 2001.

Donaghy needed a saddle on his back every time he went for a ball there was at least two Donegal players trying to climb on to it. Maybe you did not see the belt that Micheal Murphy gave Connolly in the semi-final. Mayo were the same with Donaghy. Last year Dublin took the Gooch out of it in the final ten minutes. In 2011 I suppose it was Declan O'Sullivans own fault that he was concussed.

I go to all the Football finals. Now to be fair I stay in the city center but last year after Dublin Mayo it was as dead as a duck, same year before with Donegal/Mayo. The year Cork won there supporters were around the city center tbf.

I think it just Kerry winning that sickens you
    OK I take your point on board because I've often said defenders get away with murder on Donaghy.

But I disagree on the excitement. Town was electric after Donegal v Mayo 2 years ago and it was great last year for the football and the hurling. As I've said previously it was not different this year. I'm talking about excitement at the match and not the piss up after it in town.

I do not think Kerry fans were out numbered. a lot of older Kerry fans travel without any colours on them. and if anything the Kerry cheering was louder than Donegal following. Kerry fans in general do not slag or bait other supporters after a match. I always love coming out after Kerry beat Dublin the silence is beautiful.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry fans not rubbing it in Donegal's face does not mean that it didn't mean anything to Kerry.

Kerry fans know what it is like to lose All Irelands and know that you celebrate with your fans, and cheer on your team, and when you are in public afterwards you are respecful, because there are 50% of the fans walking home that don't feel how you do.

This All Ireland means a hell of a lot to me personally, and from what I can see to the players and management.

This is my last post on here. I never said what you just said. I'm talking about celebrations at the match. Every other county always celebrates after and during the match way more than Kerry do in a final. That is why as a neutral I hate seeing Kerry win. I don't remember any of the Kerry finals they've won fondly because to be frank it pales in comparison to all the finals i've been at where other counties have won. As a neutral i want to see as much excitement and celebration as possible along with a great match.

It's not having a pop at you because the reason behind it is your county is just so used to winning the thing. 37 and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kerry were lucky with the gift Donaghy got from Paul Durcan. Donegal hit post in last moment of game too which cost them. Donegal and McGuinness will be sick after this game. In fairness a lot has been said bout this Kerry team dominating for years. They were lucky in 2014 but I don't think they will be there in 2015 if Dublin get at them.

Amprodude wrote: »
    Kerry were lucky with the gift Donaghy got from Paul Durcan. Donegal hit post in last moment of game too which cost them. Donegal and McGuinness will be sick after this game. In fairness a lot has been said bout this Kerry team dominating for years. They were lucky in 2014 but I don't think they will be there in 2015 if Dublin get at them.

Donaghy nearly got to two more of Durcans kick outs. Kerry had 2-3 balls off the uprights and Greany missed a Goal earlier in the game and got a point instead. Ya we were lucky just like we are always supposed to be lucky We are lucky we have 37 football All Irelands. 16 since 1970 the next nearest county Dublin has won 7 in the same time then Meath has won 4 as has Cork.

In that time we did a 4 in a row a 3 in a row and a back to back and 1970 was another back to back. In that time Dublin Cork Meath and Offaly have only managed Back to back.

Ya lucky coincidence,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Amprodude wrote: »

Kerry missed a hatful of chances too. You can't just take Donegals missed opportunities in isolation and say they were unlucky. Kerry lead for most of the game and deserved their win, I don't think too many from Donegal feel that hard done by in all fairness, disappointed yes, but I haven't heard many Donegal fans bemoaning hard luck, the ref, the weather etc.

I don't know who is saying this Kerry team will dominate into the future, I don't know any Kerry fans who think this. I think the next few years will see AI titles exchanged between Dublin, Kerry and possibly mayo and Donegal unless another team emerge. The most likely to do a back to back would be Dublin, but that is very difficult. At the same time I think they are well capable of doing it, can't see them being caught in the manner they were v Donegal again.

As for the whole celebrating thing, winning means just as much to Kerry fans as anybody else. I was at the match and was ecstatic at the final whistle. I understand most people want the underdog (or in this case the side with fewer AI titles) to win, personally I'd love to see mayo win a title, but not at Kerry's expense if you know what I mean. It's great to see a mix of teams winning things, but the reality is that most sports are dominated by a handful of teams and always will be.

One of the reasons we are often outnumbered at games is that we are one of the furthest counties from Dublin where all the big games are played, and the ongoing cost of attending games, travel, and possibly staying overnight etc is a major factor. If your county is going for its first title in 20 years you don't care about this, you'll sell your granny if needs be to get there. Different story when you have 2-3 games a year in Dublin, this is beyond a lot of people that I know, especially families with kids. A family of four could easily drop a grand between tickets, travel, food and accomadation for a weekend game in Dublin. It's a big ask to expect people to travel all the time. It's the same in Kilkenny and even Dublin are now seeing attendances drop off after a bit of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The crawl I did from The Red Parrot and ending at The Kings Inn at 2am showed a complete lack of Kerrymen. Now there were some but there was very few about. We all know that to be the case every-time.

Now unless they were all in The Hogan Stand or McGrath's or Quinn's; I dunno.

After the first SF there was precious few around and a hell of a lot of Green-and-Red as well.

It confirms nothing,

Kerry have been traditionally outnumbered in big games.
    Don't talk about us not celebrating wins when you don't know what your on about.

Traditionally ounumbered? So you'd say ye aren't the best at stalling it up to the big smoke.

Arguing about the lack of celebration from your compatriots is a bit silly. The world and its mother know what ye're like. Ye don't have that reputation by accident. :P

I've finally come around to it though. Best team on the day won. But it didn't half sicken me.

---

As regards winning with class, the few Kerrymen I had the "pleasure" of, be it in my GF's house before and after the game (the housemates are from Tralee) or throughout Drumcondra on the day were far from gracious. Nothing but insults for the group of us wearing Donegal (gf), Fermanagh (myself) and Tyrone/Antrim (the mates). Heaven forbid Donegal would have won!

As always I had a great night in town as I do every year. AIF day is my favourite night out of the year (except 2009 obviously). 2013 was a bit flat but understandably so. If Mayo had won I'm sure I would have been out til the wee hours.

And whoever said 2012 was dull? I was out til 7am with a massive group of us from all over, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Dublin, Armagh and the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

Yes. You obviously have a problem with successful counties. And you're talking absolute rubbish.Did you not see the shots of Denny Street in Tralee on Monday night last, packed to capacity with 25.000 screaming,jubilant fans.If that isn't celebrating,I don't know what is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Honestly trying to pick holes in how people celebrate is about as low and miserable as things can get. Can ye not let us have our day out in whatever fashion we'd like, this thread is done I'd say.

Man I know a wee bit about Meath football and I wouldn't be pointing the finger at Kerry.

I'd rather win with humility than sing ole ole ole
    as the Meath boys did in 2001.

this is not about meath football and i'd rather be supporting a team that goes mad like meath fans did then. Donegal fans all sang cheerio, cheerio, cheerio at the dubs this year and the dubs haven't been shy of that sort of thing either. Donegal also did it against cork in the semi in 2012. Nothing wrong with it and it adds to the atmosphere.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Honestly trying to pick holes in how people celebrate is about as low and miserable as things can get. Can ye not let us have our day out in whatever fashion we'd like, this thread is done I'd say.

Nothing miserable about it lad. All I said was I hate seeing Kerry win as a neutral as they celebrate far less than other counties. Nothing miserable except for the over defensive reactions from some kerry folk who can't handle the truth. He said himself they were outnumber 3/1. As a neutral i usually go for the underdog and/or the team that brings the biggest, most vocal and passionate crowd. Rarely in Kerry matches are Kerry that team.

As I said it';s the same reason I'd be going mad cheering on the likes of Limerick against Kilkenny in the hurling. Nothing wrong with it at all.

this is not about meath football and i'd rather be supporting a team that goes mad like meath fans did then. Donegal fans all sang cheerio, cheerio, cheerio at the dubs this year and the dubs haven't been shy of that sort of thing either. Donegal also did it against cork in the semi in 2012. Nothing wrong with it and it adds to the atmosphere.
    That's just what the Gaa needs, goading opposition fans, soccer chants and humiliating the opposition team to add to the atmosphere.

That's not celebrating, that's being a dick.

A few Kerry people started the Ólé thing down in Cork and got told where to go fairly quickly by other Kerry fans. That has no place in the game, and it certainly doesn't add atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Why were you down in kerry to see the celebrations or are you just making that up cos you would have seen a different picture and anyway all ireland medals are not handed out to the team that celebrates the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What a pathetic turn this thread has taken in its death throes. Utterly embarrassing.

That's the difference between us so, you'd prefer soccer chants and taunting opposing fans.

We don't and have been brought up to win with a bit of class. Take our victories and defeats with grace.

keane2097 wrote: »
    What a pathetic turn this thread has taken in its death throes. Utterly embarrassing.

it didnt take long for the bitters to come out. in just 7 days we have heard -

Kerry were lucky.
    it was a soft all ireland.
    kerry are an average team.
    we have s*it fans who dont care if the team loses.
    kerry play s*it football.
    we won due to Cormac Reilly.

the soft all ireland is the best one though, had Mayo won it, it would have been hailed as the greatest all ireland in recent memory by their loyal band of the best supporters in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I dont remember doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Kerry were lucky.

the soft all ireland is the best one though, had Mayo won it, it would have been hailed as the greatest all ireland in recent memory by their loyal band of the best supporters in the world.

Certainly not a soft All-Ireland if there is even such a thing. 5 teams have dominated football in the last 5 years and have been a good distance ahead of everyone else. Kerry beat 3 of the other 4 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Kerry were lucky.

Best not to bite homerjay, as keane said, this thread has become embarrassing so at this point I'm clicking Unfollow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

....... I always love coming out after Kerry beat Dublin the silence is beautiful.

You must have a long memory so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Unfortunately there is a tendancy in some counties to behave after a rare win in a very vulgar way towards the defeated side by chanting in their face etc which is akin to how some people react to "new" money ie not used to it and unable to handle it. Very unclassy. When a game is over you do not see winning players dance around the defeated players and deliberately rub salt in the wounds. Usually they just shake their hands and offer a few words of comfort. That is because they know just how much work the defeated side have put in and how heartbreaking it is for them to lose. Fans should consider the same. There is nothing gracious about over celebrating in such a way that involves socking it to the other distressed side. Total lack of empathy there. Go home and celebrate with wild abandon among your own people and don't be annoying other people.

Regarding Kerry fans not coming to Dublin, the truth is that Kerry fans have spent above and beyond what all other counties combined have spent coming to Dublin but quite frankly financially everybody in kerry can't come up as many times as their team is up. It's very easy for a county to empty out the first, second or even tenth time their team plays in Croke Park but roll on years and years and if they are lucky enough to be as successful as Kerry (who propably lose as often as they win in Croke Park) I guarantee you that fictional county will not arrive up en masse every time either. Get real folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Posted on here before regarding the BJK incident in the final...After meeting him last night in Thurles (he came back with the Tipp team??) have to say he's sound out and well up for the bit of crack, he was very courteous and polite to all in fairness to him...A few lads posted before about him being sound , taking photos etc and after eating my humble pie I fully agree with them..Fair play to ya BJK and fair play to Kerry gor their All ireland good luck to ye...... And that's from a Donegal man!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is a tendancy in some counties to behave after a rare win in a very vulgar way towards the defeated side by chanting in their face etc which is akin to how some people react to "new" money ie not used to it and unable to handle it. Very unclassy. When a game is over you do not see winning players dance around the defeated players and deliberately rub salt in the wounds. Usually they just shake their hands and offer a few words of comfort. That is because they know just how much work the defeated side have put in and how heartbreaking it is for them to lose. Fans should consider the same. There is nothing gracious about over celebrating in such a way that involves socking it to the other distressed side. Total lack of empathy there. Go home and celebrate with wild abandon among your own people and don't be annoying other people.

Regarding Kerry fans not coming to Dublin, the truth is that Kerry fans have spent above and beyond what all other counties combined have spent coming to Dublin but quite frankly financially everybody in kerry can't come up as many times as their team is up. It's very easy for a county to empty out the first, second or even tenth time their team plays in Croke Park but roll on years and years and if they are lucky enough to be as successful as Kerry (who propably lose as often as they win in Croke Park) I guarantee you that fictional county will not arrive up en masse every time either. Get real folks.

Mayo do. Tyrone do. Donegal have done.

The phenomenon of the Kerryman not travelling is not a recent thing. It's a brush ye are tarred with the while time.

And let's look at it this way, pre 2001 you would only be in Dublin twice a year if ye got to the final... Hardly a stretch.
    I can see why some people (myself included) can get annoyed at the perceived lack of interest in victory. There was very little of you lot around us last weekend in Dublin. We all know that there is no "right" way to celebrate but it's odd how it seems to go when there's a Kerry victory. Plus the less than gracious thing is not reserved for "new money" as it were.

In saying that my abiding memory of fandom this summer is of the aftermath of Dublin-Donegal. Amazing day despite the loss.

Big shout out to the Kerrymen that stool around after the Galway game. A lot that I met were decent skins and were up in their droves in comparison to Cork.

For those who are offended by all that's been said in this thread over the last few days ye really should grow a thicker skin. Never a Kerryman to bristle at a perceived sleight.

The best team won on the day. But they were by no means the best team over the year. But you can only beat what's in front of ye.

Thread probably needs to be shuttered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

Mayo do. Tyrone do. Donegal have done.

The phenomenon of the Kerryman not travelling is not a recent thing. It's a brush ye are tarred with the while time.

And let's look at it this way, pre 2001 you would only be in Dublin twice a year if ye got to the final... Hardly a stretch.
    I can see why some people (myself included) can get annoyed at the perceived lack of interest in victory. There was very little of you lot around us last weekend in Dublin. We all know that there is no "right" way to celebrate but it's odd how it seems to go when there's a Kerry victory. Plus the less than gracious thing is not reserved for "new money" as it were.

In saying that my abiding memory of fandom this summer is of the aftermath of Dublin-Donegal. Amazing day despite the loss.

Big shout out to the Kerrymen that stool around after the Galway game. A lot that I met were decent skins and were up in their droves in comparison to Cork.

For those who are offended by all that's been said in this thread over the last few days ye really should grow a thicker skin. Never a Kerryman to bristle at a perceived sleight.

The best team won on the day. But they were by no means the best team over the year. But you can only beat what's in front of ye.

Thread probably needs to be shuttered now.

Hi Bonnie,

Can you name the best teams over the year who were better than Kerry this year and why ? Just interested.
    Thanks & Rgds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

One argument I cannot get my head around is that Kerry win weak AIs. If Donegal had won it would probably have been their greatest achievement as they would have beaten the most successful county ever. Now when Kerry win (quite emphatically in my eyes) it is a weak AI. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Rookster wrote: »
    One argument I cannot get my head around is that Kerry win weak AIs. If Donegal had won it would probably have been their greatest achievement as they would have beaten the most successful county ever. Now when Kerry win (quite emphatically in my eyes) it is a weak AI. Am I missing something?

I heard this through out the noughties when kerry won their all irelands especially against mayo but when tyrone won it was an unbelievable win by a great team. If the ones kerry won were that soft why did tyrone not win it that year.Seems to be a lot of begrudery out there towards kerry or maybe i am getting paronoid altogether.

• Advertisement

sammy37 wrote: »
    I heard this through out the noughties when kerry won their all irelands especially against mayo but when tyrone won it was an unbelievable win by a great team. If the ones kerry won were that soft why did tyrone not win it that year.Seems to be a lot of begrudery out there towards kerry or maybe i am getting paronoid altogether.

it would appear that the only way you win a proper all ireland, is by beating kerry. even in the years we beat the dubs (2004, 2007, 2009) it wasnt enough to keep the begrudgers happy. our wins over Armagh in 2000 and 2006 were also ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement