Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House With Some Belongings

Options
  • 31-08-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am moving house next week from an apartment on the 4th floor (which has a lift), to a house which is about a 10 minute drive away.

I am living on my own, I don't drive, and have several belongings, but no furniture. It is around 6 large 50cm x 50cm x 50cm pre-packed boxes, weighing maybe 100kg total. So basically it's not a massive amount of stuff which requires a fully-fledged removal service, but also something I can't carry on the Luas in fewer than four round-trips (I'm not a big guy!).

Would you suggest that I use a large taxi and pay extra for the trouble (if it's possible to haul this much stuff), or should I ask a removal service? I'd prefer to keep costs under 100 Euro. I don't really have anyone close enough as a friend who I would be comfortable with helping me as a favour, as I am very new in the area. So I'd probably end up paying them as well and it would be an inconvenience for them.

Thanks in advice for any tips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Have a chat with your local taxi company they may do a deal on moving your stuff with a large taxi or may be able to recommend someone with a small van.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

oa7028 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am moving house next week from an apartment on the 4th floor (which has a lift), to a house which is about a 10 minute drive away.

I am living on my own, I don't drive, and have several belongings, but no furniture. It is around 6 large 50cm x 50cm x 50cm pre-packed boxes, weighing maybe 100kg total. So basically it's not a massive amount of stuff which requires a fully-fledged removal service, but also something I can't carry on the Luas in fewer than four round-trips (I'm not a big guy!).

Would you suggest that I use a large taxi and pay extra for the trouble (if it's possible to haul this much stuff), or should I ask a removal service? I'd prefer to keep costs under 100 Euro. I don't really have anyone close enough as a friend who I would be comfortable with helping me as a favour, as I am very new in the area. So I'd probably end up paying them as well and it would be an inconvenience for them.

Thanks in advice for any tips.

There are many moving/man with a van companies that offer great rates, look up some quotes and see if you can get a good deal. Personally I got a great deal from http://moversandmakers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

boards user Cormie is a man with a van as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Tony H wrote: »
    boards user Cormie is a man with a van as far as I know

He is. Vantasks.ie I've used them twice and have been very happy both times. Great service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Plenty men with van around. No problem getting a cash job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 oa7028

Hi guys,

Somehow I completely forgot to mention that I'm in Dublin. Thanks a lot for your replies. It's really appreciated and I'm sure I'll find something van-wise now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ikea do van rental via hertz, so if you have a licence you could look at this, would be about €60

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

uberwolf wrote: »
    He is. Vantasks.ie I've used them twice and have been very happy both times. Great service.

I used a service called anyvan.ie when I moved last. Once you post your ad the van drivers all try to underbid each other. I ended up giving the driver a big tip as I felt he had hardly made it worth his time. He knew about how to pack stuff like mirrors and tv's properly and had insurance as well so definitely better value (as well as being cheaper) than a taxi.

Advertisement