Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am i too old too start playing GAA @ 19 ?

• 31-08-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

i was interested in starting gaelic football but ive never played it since primary school :( is there any chance i could get on a team at this point in life i have no skill atm but am try to get better ;) sorry if this is the wrong place to post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Yep. Of course you can start back.
    Go for it. Most clubs would be delighted to have another player, at any level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You should have no difficulty getting in with a club. If in Dublin most clubs have teams down the divisions that would suit you starting off.
    Why not get a pal to go to a park with you for a bit of a kick around first. Also if you can get a good level of general fitness you will be able to move more around the pitch and collect easy ball i.e uncontested ball where it's being laid off by a team mate under pressure. No need to do anything too fancy and lay off the ball again once a chance arises
    A few games like that and you will have your confidence

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

sammy37 wrote: »
    If you have no skill at football you should try rugby as that requires no skill at all appartenly so all the gaa heads tell me anyway!

great help there alright. maybe take your chip on the shoulder to another forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

get down to the park and train the managers will look after you , show some determination and hearth and they will be delighted with you , you still have a long career ahead of you your only a young buck , this time ten years from now you could have a senior medal. go for it kid aim high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

Yeah man go for it, i'm 21 and I just started started playing gaelic..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

bruschi wrote: »
    great help there alright. maybe take your chip on the shoulder to another forum

Lighten up a bit it was said sarcastically and that was plain to see and he already has got some good advice here so i hope the op gets down to his local gaa club where he will be looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I started at 31 this year, the best advice is just pluck up the courage to go down and keep going down. Make training every week and the skill and fitness will look after itself. Jealous of ya now, young lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I did the same played in primary school and didn't play again until I went to college. First couple of sessions were tough and it took me awhile to get back into it but really enjoy it. We have guys coming to our club all the time wanting to start back again. Never a problem, clubs are always looking for players.

In summary just go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

BKWDR wrote: »
    I started at 31 this year, the best advice is just pluck up the courage to go down and keep going down. Make training every week and the skill and fitness will look after itself. Jealous of ya now, young lad!

I went back hurling at 29. Why oh why i didn't do it ten years earlier. Best thing i ever did.

Go for it OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

SeaFields wrote:
    I went back hurling at 29. Why oh why i didn't do it ten years earlier. Best thing i ever did.

has to be the best field sport in the world for players and spectators alike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mphalo1 wrote: »
    has to be the best field sport in the world for players and spectators alike

Was at a soccer match that my U14 brother was playing last week and as I was walking across the other side of the park after the match towards my parents house I copped a Junior hurling match between Lucan Sarsfields and I think Jude's. Anyway I stopped to have a gander for about 15 minutes and I was awestruck.

I haven't watched any junior hurling since I was playing for Good Counsel back after my Junior Cert. I got really giddy at the thought of picking up a camán again at 30.

To the OP, you're never too old.

Like you I'm lucky enough, as are some others on here, to have played when we were younger; sure I remember my first hurling blitz back in 1992, so we all remember the buzz of it. So don't worry about it and get up there and play.

I've a mate moving down to Dublin from Larne in a month who I met in Canada and he's dying to get into Gaelic games without the tyranny of "Fenianism" stopping him at home. He never got to play when he was younger. I'll have the ****er knocking 65s cone February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well, you won't make the over 40s teams this year, but you've 21 years to work up to that, so yes it is not too late to start back playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Go for it OP, I started back in my late twenties after hardly kicking a ball since school days. You'll get fit and make a few friends in the process. Worst that can happen is that you don't like it but at least you will have tried!

Advertisement