Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recent diagnosis

Options
  • 31-08-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Hi mods just want to say I am not looking for medical advice at all.

Hi guys,
    May seem small but its really getting me down .I always had a fear that I'd never be able yo get pregnant, why I don't know.
    However yesterday at a visit to the doctor I found out I had polycystic ovaries. I know this limits my chance of natural conception. I know there's medication out there if I ever was planning a baby but still its brought back up my fear of never been able to conceive.
    I might be over reacting but I've been in bits since yesterday .I feel like what should be my right has been taken from me. I feel like I'm less of a woman. My boyfriend of a year is supportive but I still can't get these fears out of my head. I keep thinking he'll leave me if we were still together in a few years and I couldn't conceive,even though he says it doesn't matter to him.
    Just with all the horror stories I've read about I have myself worked up.
    Any input is appreciated

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

do you have polycystic ovaries or PCOS?

I have polycystic ovaries but not PCOS. I only have3 markers out of 5.

anyway, i have a 4 month old son, there is no point in stressing over something that might not be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

John Mason wrote: »
    do you have polycystic ovaries or PCOS?

I have polycystic ovaries but not PCOS. I only have3 markers out of 5.

anyway, i have a 4 month old son, there is no point in stressing over something that might not be an issue

Not too sure. I can't remember exactly.I presumed they were just the same. I've to go back in 2 weeks so will be finding out then.
    You're right I'm stressing over nothing. At least I found out while I'm still young at not a few years down the line

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

change your diet to low GI.

this will help with the symptoms. also do you have an underactive thyroid? they go hand in hand.sea kelp worked great for me along with the low GI diet

John Mason wrote: »
    change your diet to low GI.

this will help with the symptoms. also do you have an underactive thyroid? they go hand in hand.sea kelp worked great for me along with the low GI diet

That's great thanks. AFAIK I don't but I got bloods taken so should take a week maybe to hear back.thanks a mill,will certainly look into the low GI diet

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi irishgirl19,

boards has an excellent Parenting forum, and in particular, the Trying to Conceive subforum might be more relevant to you, and the posters there might have more experience with your condition, and how it may affect you. I'm happy to move your thread there if you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved to the Trying to Conceive forum. Please note that their charter applies from here on in.

Regards,
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

PCOS here, with two healthy children. My husband also had low morphology and borderline motility. We were advised we would be looking at ICSI treatment, but didn't go that far in the end. Combination of settling my cycle with the pill, chlomid, blood tests to watch ovulation hormones and follicle tracking sorted my side of things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

PCOS and an underactive thyroid here. I have a 10 month old that I conceived without intervention and also conceived once before that without help, unfortunately that ended in a miscarriage though. I just try to eat well and exercise. My thyroid is controlled by medication. I did take metformin for the PCOS in the past. It's a lot to take in at the start, take a little while to process but try and make a list of questions before your next appointment.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone
    I feel much better now and it doesn't seem as daunting anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

Just been referred to a gynaecologist to investigate if i have cysts or pcos. I had been freaking out because hubby and I have been ttc for only a couple of months and I thought this would destroy our chances naturally. This thread has been a huge help to ease my mind! I'm 28 so thankfully I am getting it checked earlyish but it was playing on my mind!

In the end I conceived with only metforim in less than 3 months. Great result. My almost 4 mth old playing on her playmat her beside me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

In the end I conceived with only metforim in less than 3 months. Great result. My almost 4 mth old playing on her playmat her beside me

Wow that is fantastic to hear!! Can totally relax now

Advertisement