Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

apple tv

• 31-08-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

thinking about buying my husband a apple tv for his birthday. He is normally who i go too for technical question. if i buy the apple tv for €99 on apple website what else do i need to connect to our tv for it to work.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't buy an Apple TV until you see what Apple announces on Sept 9th. Chances are that anything you buy now will be out of date in a few weeks.

To answer your question, you need a HDMI cable, don't buy the one they'll try to sell you in the Apple shop, buy one in Tesco or from the accessory rack in any electrical shop, don't spend more than €10.

While the Apple TV can connect to your broadband over Wi-Fi, it's better if you can connect it using an Ethernet cable so if it's within a few feet of your broadband router, get a network cable to connect it. You should have a few of these stashed away in drawers that you picked up over the years, Eircom probably gave you yellow cables and the UPC ones are grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I think he might be happier with an Android box - a lot more apps available and if you google what they can do he will be delighted :)

A MINIX X8 gets good reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

What other devices does he have?
    If he uses Iphones/ipads with Itunes, an apple tV is prob a good idea, but wait till the big announcement as already stated.

If he has an android phone/tab then buy an android tv device as the play apps he already has can be used on that also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Apple Devices

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

CinSoots wrote: »
    I think he might be happier with an Android box - a lot more apps available and if you google what they can do he will be delighted :)

A MINIX X8 gets good reviews

Why not MINI X8-H? There is a thread on Bargain Alerts talking about this box:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Ibetit wrote: »
    Why not MINI X8-H? There is a thread on Bargain Alerts talking about this box:cool:

No reason why not. Great box too

Advertisement