Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnesium problem!

Options
  • 31-08-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here has gone through or is going through something similar. I became a vegetarian years ago for animal welfare reasons. Last year my periods stopped and after 3 months I went to the doctor, she did an exam and a blood test but couldn't find anything wrong. After another few months of more tests and scans, they found that my magnesium levels were low and she advised me to start eating meat again.
    I reluctantly agreed as I was very upset and I want a baby in the future more than anything. Not having my periods for so long made me feel like I wasn't a woma and was very stressful! The first time having meat was very hard for me, took me ages to take the first bite and took me even longer to eat it in front of people. My periods came back after about two months of eating meat but I feel very guilty and really miss my vegetarian lifestyle. I thought i was doing everything right. i was eating lots of fresh food, getting good protein sources and I did feel well.

Has anyone come across this magnesium thing before? Its something ive never read about in any of my veggie books.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I don't understand that, the top food sources for magnesium are mainly veggie?! http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php

Also could supplement magnesium? I supplement magnesium, individually and through a multivitamin despite eating most of those foods on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

I was at a loss too! The doctor told me red meat has very high levels of magnesium and to eat that but i hate steak! Thanks for your reply Zombienosh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's a strange one alright.

Although apparently most people are deficient in magnesium. Never heard about veggies being deficient in it. You can get a supplement though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Red meat seems to have less magnesium compared to greens.

"When it comes to red meat containing magnesium, one simply cannot forget beef. Although magnesium content in beef is not equivalent to that found in green vegetables, it is definitely not a poor source of magnesium. A decent amount of magnesium is present in beef. This can be gauged from the fact that almost 2 cups of steak pieces contain approximately 100 mg of magnesium. 3.5 oz serving of grounded beef contains around 24 mg of magnesium.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/foods-containing-magnesium.html"

All of the top foods are veggie apart from the fish...

Green vegetables like spinach, potato, artichokes and avocados contain a high amount of magnesium. Swiss chard, collard greens and mustard greens are green leafy vegetables that are an excellent source of magnesium.
    Peas, nuts (especially almonds), are a rich source of magnesium. Sesame and sunflower seeds contain high levels of magnesium. People deficient in magnesium are often advised to eat brazil nuts and cashew nuts.
    Beans that include kidney beans, baked beans, lima beans, navy beans and pinto beans are also high in magnesium.
    Fish like the halibut and broiled tuna also come in the list of foods rich in magnesium.
    Fruits like prunes, bananas, dried apricots, raisins, cantaloupe, and even citrus and prune juices are well-known food sources of magnesium.
    Some of the most healthiest recipes contain herbs like cloves, black pepper, spearmint, oregano, basil and dill, all of which are a good source of magnesium. So, addition of these herbs to recipes not only helps to improve taste but also enhances the nutritional value of the food item.
    Cooked whole grain cereals are also fortified with magnesium. Magnesium levels are much higher in whole wheat bread than in white bread. This is because magnesium rich wheat germ are completely lost during the processing of the flour to make white bread.
    Pumpkin, legumes, raw broccoli and oysters are also grouped into foods containing magnesium.
    Shredded wheat, whole milk, soy milk and dairy products such as yogurt naturally contain magnesiu
    Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/foods-containing-magnesium.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

This might sound stupid, were you eating enough vegetables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

From what I understand, magnesium is one of the most poorly absorbed minerals; even the supplements from a health-food shop.
    An assistant there once told me that up to three quarters of magnesium in tablets etc. (depending on the brand) is just excreted. [amateur opinion, I am aware]

Moreover, the mineral is secreted in plants from slowly growing in soil that contains it: so modern vegetables, rapidly grown in hydroponic polydomes for the mass market, may only contain whatever minerals are in the stuff that growers put in the water-and-fibre soil - and not much time to absorb a lot of that, either.

And magnesium seems to be implicated in a lot of bodily processes - small amounts but subtle and essential - so maybe the plan of eating a little meat occasionally is wise.

Would you consider eating only wild-caught meat, eg, wild rabbit? They lead a completely natural life, not abused, eating wild foods, and the nature of rabbits is to be hunted as prey, eventually - (sorry, Fiver!)

Just my tuppenceworth!

At the end of the day follow professional medical advice, but eating meat definitely isn't the only way to address a magnesium deficiency. If you've managed to pick up a magnesium deficiency it might well not be the only one. Did you look at the blood tests yourself and compare your ranges etc.? You could have a malabsorption issue, anything.

Here's a list of magnesium rich foods. Soil infertility might well be a problem these days, all the more reason to eat a variety of veg and a lot I guess. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Documents/CP0403MagnesiumRichFoods.pdf

If you really want to be a vegetarian perhaps talk to your doctor about making an adjustment to your vegetarian diet and then returning for blood tests in x number of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I was surprised by that last list; the top scorefor Magnesium, leading the field by a good margin, was Porridge. I never knew that...

katemarch wrote: »
    I was surprised by that last list; the top scorefor Magnesium, leading the field by a good margin, was Porridge. I never knew that...

1 cup is 227 grams though which is like a week's worth of average servings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I take this magnesium supplement, but for different reasons (bad leg cramping) got it in the chemist and its an irish product. dissolves in water and easy to take.

http://www.rowa.ie/product_verla.html

• Advertisement

Thinking about it I don't understand why he put you back on meat if you are on a balanced diet and not try you on a supplement first, very peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

This might sound stupid, were you eating enough vegetables?

Yes i would have soup and salads for lunch and vegetables with dinner. I like all vegetables and would change what vegetables I buy each week.

No i didn't get to see the blood test results myself, she did say my iron levels were on the low side of normal but nothing to worry about (and i would have spinach in my juices pretty much everyday!)

Feel really knocked by this, thought i as doing everything 'properly'!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Wow that must be a shock to the system.
    From my understanding missing periods can be for many reason the biggest is usually stress and of course there can be medical (thyroid, PCOS, menopause etc,) and diet related reasons (low calorie, low fat, too much dairy, too much soy, not enough B vitamins/iron/magnesium/Vit D or poor absorption of these) but a good GP would of course know and explain more.

If you really don’t want to eat meat then you could tell your current doctor you would prefer not to eat meet and try magnesium supplements first or you could get a second opinion from a different doctor. Also asked to be referred to your local hospital Gyne. There is absolutely no harm in it. Or You are the patient and you have to do what works for you. I also have read that magnesium deficiency is very common among meat eaters and veggies alike.
    I have found GPs very dismissive of being a vegetarian no matter how healthy my diet is.

Whether you go the meat option or supplements make sure you get your levels tested again in a few months.

By the way if you are in to natural health have a look at this link http://www.marilynglenville.com/womens-health-issues/no-periods/ and/or her 24 page ebook.

Edited to add:Oh by the way I have been a strict veggie for 25 years and have never missed a period apart from pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Oldtree wrote: »
    I take this magnesium supplement, but for different reasons (bad leg cramping) got it in the chemist and its an irish product. dissolves in water and easy to take.

http://www.rowa.ie/product_verla.html

Be very careful taking magnesium supplements. They give diarrhea frequently. I know.:(

Bafucin wrote: »
    Be very careful taking magnesium supplements. They give diarrhea frequently. I know.:(

I only take 1 sachet a day if needed, and luckily have no problems that way to report :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I had low magnesium during a pregnancy... Loads of leg cramps. I was advised to eat barley, avocado and bananas! Not more meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

If any doctor tells you that you have to eat meat then they really are misinformed. You're low in magnesium, you need magnesium, that does not mean you need meat just because there may be magnesium in meat. There is magnesium in plenty of things and better sources than meat too, nuts, seeds and veg seem to be good sources.

From what I understand you have to address calcium and magnesium together since they work together, you will have problems with one or the other if you don't strike a balance. A magnesium deficiency could be an excess calcium issue. On a vegetarian diet you should be aware of the amount of dairy in your diet. Plants have a much better balance of calcium and magnesium, more like 1:1, the ratios in animal sources is not well balanced. The problem with consuming too much dairy is that you're consuming too much calcium, not enough magnesium which is needed for calcium absorption, the calcium collects in soft tissues and is poorly absorbed into your blood and bones. Plant sources of calcium don't give this issue. So if you are to consider upping your magnesium, it's worth considering decreasing your dairy intake, you want a balance right! Less dairy, more wholegrains, maybe a supplement to use short-term.

Advertisement