Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on PPI Claim Solicitors

Options
  • 31-08-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I've recently begun the process of making a Payment Protection Insurance claim from MBNA/ Avant.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with a particular agency or solicitor they would recommend or have head good reviews of for this sort of thing?

I got into contact myself with mbnappiclaims .ie , and they appointed me to Mr. Arnold. (haven't heard any reviews of him/ them either)
    It's apparently a no-win no-fee basis, but if I get anything back, they get one third of it. From experience, can anyone tell me if this is a relatively reasonable amount?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

jjj777 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've recently begun the process of making a Payment Protection Insurance claim from MBNA/ Avant.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with a particular agency or solicitor they would recommend or have head good reviews of for this sort of thing?

I got into contact myself with mbnappiclaims .ie , and they appointed me to Mr. Arnold. (haven't heard any reviews of him/ them either)
    It's apparently a no-win no-fee basis, but if I get anything back, they get one third of it. From experience, can anyone tell me if this is a relatively reasonable amount?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Having gone through the process myself, I never used any company, I Just contacted the institution myself, plus I was contacted by another directly. I would avoid going through any of these firms personally, especially if I had to give them anything out of what I get back. They really can't do much more than you can do yourself to be honest! but I guess its up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jjj777

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Having gone through the process myself, I never used any company, I Just contacted the institution myself, plus I was contacted by another directly. I would avoid going through any of these firms personally, especially if I had to give them anything out of what I get back. They really can't do much more than you can do yourself to be honest! but I guess its up to you.

Thank you for the reply.

I had initially planned on going through it myself without an agency. But after they told me I wasn't entitled and I should contact a solicitor, I began looking them up. I assumed this is just something they tell everyone to put them off trying to go through the claim process, but thought I'd look up legal help just in case. Any idea if that assumption would be right? Did you hear similar things from them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why do you feel you're due a refund? Are you jumping on the bandwagon or do you have a genuine case? As Ciarri76 says above, you can do the claiming yourself without using one of these intermediaries but if there's no case, there's no case.

I note the way that crowd you're looking at quote the amounts involved in 'recent wins' down to the cent to make the numbers look bigger, every number has six digits so if you didn't look close enough you'd think there was potentially tens of thousands to be made from a claim.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thank you for the reply.

I had initially planned on going through it myself without an agency. But after they told me I wasn't entitled and I should contact a solicitor, I began looking them up. I assumed this is just something they tell everyone to put them off trying to go through the claim process, but thought I'd look up legal help just in case. Any idea if that assumption would be right? Did you hear similar things from them yourself?

I received a refund from PTSB, and I enquired with two other institutions I was with in those years, as to whether I was entitled to a refund, and out of the other two, I only got a refund from one, the other said I wasn't mis-sold PPI. I know there are a lot of people who think that because they had PPI at that time, that they can get a refund, but its not the case. So unless you have good reason as to why you are entitled to a refund, then no point going through any solicitors.

The alternative is to go to the financial ombudsman and tell them why you think you were mis-sold it, but that can take quite a while due to the volume of complaints they are dealing with. But I would advise against using any companies to do this on your behalf. If you were told you weren't missold PPI, then chances are they are right I'm afraid. But like I said, go through the Financial ombudsman if you feel they are wrong.

@coylemj

I do suspect being missold, in that I don't think they made it clear it was optional, and that they may have overcharged me also.
    I see your point about the site. I meant to add in the original post I also got into contact with stantonfisher. com.

@Ciarrai76

Ombudsman wouldn't be an option as it is over 6 years. In your case, did they readily admit to having missold it to you, or did they attempt to dissuade you in persuing it by not admitting?
    ---

Given that this company operates on a no-win no-fee basis, I'm kind of under the impression of not having anything to lose by going through them. Or am I falling into some sort of trap here that I'm not aware of?
    I would follow it all myself, but I haven't the time. I know mbna/Avant has claimed that I wasn't missold. But I had assumed it was worth a try with a claims company anyway.

When they claim not having missold it, are they usually being genuine, or attempting to dissuade people from pursuing?

• Advertisement

@coylemj

I do suspect being missold, in that I don't think they made it clear it was optional, and that they may have overcharged me also.
    I see your point about the site. I meant to add in the original post I also got into contact with stantonfisher. com.

@Ciarrai76

Ombudsman wouldn't be an option as it is over 6 years. In your case, did they readily admit to having missold it to you, or did they attempt to dissuade you in persuing it by not admitting?
    ---

Given that this company operates on a no-win no-fee basis, I'm kind of under the impression of not having anything to lose by going through them. Or am I falling into some sort of trap here that I'm not aware of?
    I would follow it all myself, but I haven't the time. I know mbna/Avant has claimed that I wasn't missold. But I had assumed it was worth a try with a claims company anyway.

When they claim not having missold it, are they usually being genuine, or attempting to dissuade people from pursuing?

It was MBNA/AvantCard that I had a similar issue with, which is why I took them to the ombudman. Unfortunately I didn't get the full amount of a refund from them, but I took a settlement, which I was happy to by the end of it as it took about 10 months!

It was very dragged out, and They will produce all sorts of documents to say why they didn't mis-sell PPI. They stated that they don't advise on PPI, if it is suitable etc. I had a few reasons as to why I was mis-sold it and produced as much info as I possibly could! They also said that I spoke to them over the phone about PPI, which I have no recollection of, nor could they prove (they had no recordings to prove it to the ombudsman, despite it only being 3 years before!). Maybe the solicitor can get you a better result, but I wasn't willing to pay anything to anyone out of any refund I was going to get!

I don't know if they are being genuine though, I have a feeling they weren't doing everything by the book according to the Ombudsman, hence I got a settlement, but not the entire refund. If you have good reason & evidence to back it up that you were mis-sold, then go for it and see how it goes.

Why isn't the ombudsman an option, is there a time limit as to what they will deal with?

@ciarrai

According to moneyguideireland. com, it says the ombudsman only deals with ppi claims from the last 6 years, where as mine began before that.
    Thank you for that helpful post. I was kind of looking for an idea of what to expect if and what sort of experience others have had with claiming.

@ciarrai

According to moneyguideireland. com, it says the ombudsman only deals with ppi claims from the last 6 years, where as mine began before that.
    Thank you for that helpful post. I was kind of looking for an idea of what to expect if and what sort of experience others have had with claiming.

Oh right, I didn't realise that.

hopefully someone who has used one of these claims firms will post & let you know how it went.

Hopefully. But big thank you to the both of you also. Hearing about your experience Ciarrai has been very helpful itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭skstretch

Hi, I am currently claiming back ppi from MBNA on an old card,
    just wondering how did ppl get on with them?
    how long did it take

Thanks

I they said everything was explained to me when I signed up for
    the card over the phone...
    i then told her that I had signed up online

She then said they would reply by october 1st...

• Advertisement

skstretch wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently claiming back ppi from MBNA on an old card,
    just wondering how did ppl get on with them?
    how long did it take

Thanks

I they said everything was explained to me when I signed up for
    the card over the phone...
    i then told her that I had signed up online

She then said they would reply by october 1st...

they told me the same thing, that it was explained over the phone. I said I didn't apply over the phone & wanted proof of the phonecall, which was only from about 3 years ago. The said they didn't have any from that far back! They are total chancers! That was through the ombudsman with AvantCard. I have a separate one in with MBNA UK who are investigating the card from before AvantCard! Due to hear back in a couple of weeks, but we'll see how long they drag it out for!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭skstretch

Ill see how I go too,
    I might reply through my solicitor the next time...
    Ill update how I get on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

@ciarrai

Its when you stopped paying a loan that matters; not when it started. As far as I am aware anyway.

Advertisement