Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deltoid Pain from Swimming?

Options
  • 31-08-2014 10:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever experienced this? Self diagnosis tells me it is most likely referred pain from and old rotator cuff injury thats flared up lately - deltoid pain kicked in during a swim on Tuesday and died down then after a couple of days...another swim today and it's agony since.

Can't think of any part of the swim stroke where I could strain the delts? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

I see lots of shoulder injuries in my work, it is the most common area to injure swimming.

You will find that lots of rotator cuff pain refers to the mid deltoid, the reasons for this are not well explained.

I think you are probably right in thinking it is rotator cuff again.

Best to get it seen to by medical person. As no point giving advice over internet. Or do the same as you did to get it right before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Insertion of the rotator cuff muscles is on the humerus so that'd explain deltoid pain from rotator cuff problems.

I blame ecoli..I asked him to fix me and he went on holidays. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Are you varying your stroke recently RQ (e.g. backstroke - notorious for 'cuff problems), or have you upped the weekly mileage significantly in a big jump? Using paddles more in workouts recently?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Are you varying your stroke recently RQ (e.g. backstroke - notorious for 'cuff problems), or have you upped the weekly mileage significantly in a big jump? Using paddles more in workouts recently?

I've upped weekly mileage, but not by much (I'm getting in more days but only doing about 1500m on the extra days which wouldn't be much for what I'd be used to) Have started using paddles again...but not much - wouldn't do more than 200m with paddles generally. Wondered yesterday if it was the paddles alright, so interesting that you mention that.

Usually it would kick in a couple of weeks after starting to up the mileage. Not sure if it kicked in again before or after starting back with paddles though...

I can't do backstroke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Have you been using a pull buoy with paddles? The Pull buoy will lift you more at back putting more pressure on your shoulders, I'd lay off them for awhile and take some anti-inflamatory tablets(Ibuprofen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

I had some deltoid pain last year, turns out I was using a thumb first entry causing excessive internal rotation. I changed to a flat hand entry and that resolved it - thanks to the swimsmooth book.

Advertisement