Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good horror film?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Hi OP - Saw a movie the other night called "I am a Ghost" - Thought it was an interesting twist on a ghost story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Watched Oculus recently. Nice little horror about a supernatural mirror. It mostly takes place in the one location and the premise is a bit stretched, but I loved the Lovecraftian influence. Too many horror films are about exploiting contemporary cultural fears about something or other.

From a recent thread with a similar request, all the following are on the various Netflix regions

Absentia - Great low budget horror that has more going on than most big budget genre fare.

The Divide - Sadly it's not the directors cut but this is one of the grimes post apocalyptic sci-fi horrors you are likely to come across.

House of the Devil - A slow burner that's all about mood and atmosphere. It's a deliberly paced 80s style horror that puts much of the genre to shame.

Pontypool - Perhaps the best zombie film of recent years, it's an intimate horror film with a small cast of characters and a single location with one of the best hooks in horror cinema. Clever, fun and with great performances, it's essential viewing.

Detention - One of the best meta horror film of all time. Visually it's gorgeous and the script is funny and smart and has some great moments.

The Snowtown Murders - A brutal and harrowing story of two serial killers in Australia. It's ugly, grisly and disturbing.

We Are What We Are - Superb horror remake from Jim Mickle and Nick Damici. A southern gothic horror that's amongst the most atmospheric and dark indie films of the past few years.

Beyond the Black Rainbow - One of those straight to DVD horrors that deserves to find an audience. It's an affectionate hoamge to all those great sci-fi and horrors of the 80s and has an adolescent glee that's infectious. It's bizarre, features good performances and some truly haunting visuals.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - A horror comedy done right with a game cast and some inventive kills. It's good natured fun and rather sweet.

The Expelled - Low budget as it gets but with a decent script and some decent performances. It's pretty much a remake of Ils set in a school and while it doesn't do much original it remains a tight, well structured genre film that doesn't pander to the audeince.

Asylum Blackout - One of the bleakest and most unrelentingly grim horror films in years. There's a constant sense of menace present and is one of those films which some will love and most will despise and personally I loved it thanks to the dank, dark, depraved nature of it.

Maniac - One of best horror remakes ever made. The film is first and foremost a visual feast that makes great use of the near constant POV shooting style. Elijah Wood is great as Frank, the twisted antagonist we follow and it's one of those horrors that's visceral and dark without ever reveling in it.

Outpost: Black Sun - After the original this is easily the best Nazi zombie film. Much like Aliens this sequel ramps everything up to 11 and goes all out. It's good fun and has some interesting moments.

Ravenous - A dark and twisted cannibal tale set in the old west. It's dark, unsettling and rather funny with some great performances, a superb score and a game cast.

Borderland - One of the better holidaymakers abroad get attacked entries. That it's cast play their age is a nice change of pace and there's more going on that you initially think. It's not big or clever but it is fun and has a rather nasty mean streak running throughout.

The Lords of Salem - it's up there with the best that the genre has to offer. A truly unique tale that's told in a restrained and adult manner. It's been a long time since a film has managed to create such an unrelentingly grim sense of fireboding and while the end does squander the buildup it's still a magnificent piece of work. Zombie's imagery is exceptional and called to mind Kubrick, Argento, Polanski, etc yet it never feels like imitation. The first entry into number 5 features one of cinemas most mind blowingly beautiful moments and there's really not a single moment in the film that you couldn't hang in a gallery.

It's the most nature, restrained and intelligent horror I've seen in quite sometime and the lack of gore and jump scares is refreshing. It's a film all about mood and atmosphere and anyone looking for something a little different is in for a treat. I really hope that Zombie's decision to move away from horror is temporary as I really want to see what he does next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Borderland - One of the better holidaymakers abroad get attacked entries. That it's cast play their age is a nice change of pace and there's more going on that you initially think. It's not big or clever but it is fun and has a rather nasty mean streak running throughout.
    You just reminded me of The Borderlands, which is easily one of the best found footage horrors I've seen. Has smart, likeable characters and good pacing as well as a strong internal logic, the opposite of which being what often ruins these movies for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a tough genre to please, frights being as subjective as laughs. One film that delivered both in spades for me ws Drag Me To Hell, a return to form from Sam Raimi.
    I though Paranormal Activity was the best 'found footage' horror since The Blair Witch Project, even if like Saw it's sequels provided ever diminishing returns that tarnish the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I watched Audition last night. Last half an hour is mental. Really enjoyed it though apart from the end where its hard to stomach.

I really enjoyed Sinister the first time I saw it. I really did. Gets a lot of flack.

Kill List by Ben Wheatly(recently did 'Sightseers' and 'A field in England')

If you haven't seen Kill List..Watch kill list .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Rec is brilliant - bit at the end is very creepy. Rec 2 is very enjoyable aswell

There is an American remake Quarantine which is no where near as suspensful but if you looking for a "So bad it is good" watch "Quarantine 2" - Zombies on a plane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dead Snow 1 and 2 are just super fun films about zombie Nazis and has a good sense of humour to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I watched Audition last night. Last half an hour is mental. Really enjoyed it though apart from the end where its hard to stomach.

I can't recommend either of these enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

e_e wrote: »
    I can't recommend either of these enough.

I watched 'The Borderlands' last night.

Wow, what lovely little solid horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

whirlpool wrote: »
    I'll need more once those are over, so please keep the posts coming :pac:

Has anyone seen Heartless? I'm in two minds about whether I can be arsed watching it or not. Here's the trailer:

I thought it was good. I liked the Faustian pact situation

I was disappointed with that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Best English language horror film of the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Any I could recommend have been said already.

But, I saw Deliver Us From Evil recently in the cinema and thought it was very good, borderline thriller/horror though, few jumpy parts but good enough story throughout I thought.

Anyone see A Serbian Film? So bad that people are afraid of being arrested for discussing the subject matter. It's really rough p.s. not a horror per se, it is more to do with what horrors people can inflict on each other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I read an interview with the director about the whole film being an analogy for Serbian politics (Most notably, "Fucked at birth"). I didn't get it, and I still don't, but that's that, for what it's worth.

I'm working my way through old Hong Kong vampire movies at the moment and I'm really enjoying them. The Mr. Vampire series, in particular, and Rigor Mortis are great. Maybe give Mr. Vampire II a miss, because of the absolute worst use of Yuen Biao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Martyrs, Frontiers, Them (Ils) and High Tension are fantastic French horrors. Sheitan with Vincent Cassel and Calvaire are also worth watching.

Wolf Creek is a brilliant Aussie horror too.

The original SAW is great, and some other films definitely worth checking out are Carrie, Wrong Turn, Mirrors, Splinter, Maniac (remake), Ghost Ship, Rest Stop, VHS, Hard Candy, Cloverfield,Splice, Eden Lake, Orphan, Evil Dead (remake), Hostel, Devil, Mama, The Last House on the Left (remake) and Black Xmas.

Watched Haze last night, a short film by Shin'ya Tsukamoto. Very claustrophobic. A lot of it was shot in near complete darkness, but what you can see is great. There's some good gore, and there's one part in particular that made my toes curl. Really great, and won't take much time out of your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Anyone see A Serbian Film? So bad that people are afraid of being arrested for discussing the subject matter. It's really rough p.s. not a horror per se, it is more to do with what horrors people can inflict on each other

Wouldn't recommend anybody watch that, I felt wrong having watched it! Very tough to get through at times, particularly towards the end obviously. Not a film for date night anyway!

From what I watched last night I would suggest The Possession of Michael King, very good film, maintained a good atmosphere throughout and had a couple of very well done creepy moments. It is more "realistic" then a lot of the genre and the lead actor plays his role brilliantly

Other then that head on over and get yourself some Japanese or Korean horror :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

The Orphanage.. if you don't mind subtitles..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Drag me to Hell is good fun.

Tbh i havnt seen a good horror in years, most of the genre has been really bad for a long time now especially after The Blair Witch Project and all those shocking hand-held horrors. Saw As ABove so Below last week, one of the worst films of all time

Warper wrote: »
    Drag me to Hell is good fun.

Tbh i havnt seen a good horror in years, most of the genre has been really bad for a long time now especially after The Blair Witch Project and all those shocking hand-held horrors. Saw As ABove so Below last week, one of the worst films of all time

I wouldn't say AA,SB is one of the worst of all time, at most it's forgettable. Some really stupid shite in it, though, like how something translated from Aramaic to English will rhyme. To it's credit, it did get around the "Why are they filming this?" by having the camera attached to people's heads, but that brings up the problem of how did they get the footage from the people that didn't make it?

I was talking with someone the other day about how horror seems to be a genre with the worst hit to miss ratio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Not a feature film as such but a production as part of BBCs Play For Today from 1970.Creepy proto-Wicker Man type storyline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I will get so much stick for this, but the first Paranormal Activity scared the crap out of me. It's not so much what you see, it's more what you imagine.
    The Others. You'll have to watch it twice.
    Breaking the 10 year rule, but The Haunting (1960's, black and white, filmed for a dime) is really scary, again, it's all about messing with your head.
    On the new version of The Haunting, all I can say is meh. And it will actually look worse if you watch the 60's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

Try to watch Coming Soon Thai Movie then Shomba will haunt you..

Advertisement