Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitten very nervous

• 01-09-2014 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I got myself a new kitten last week, and he loves playing and messing around on his own but seems very nervous when I go to rub him or touch him. Granted, he is only three months old and not very big, so we probably all look like giants in his eyes, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to get him less nervous of us? I let him sit on my lap which he likes and he purrs once you rub him a lot but its hard to get near him without him dipping his head or running off.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Lure him with wand toys, slivers of ham (make him come closer and closer to get them) and finally a little philadelphia on your fingers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sit on the floor and it makes you smaller and less intimidating to him. Cat nip is almost irresistable to most cats. Laser toys are good as they love chasing the little dot. As Boomerang said, the wand toys are very good too. Chicken is a great incentive as well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Play with him, let him chase stuff tied to a stick or we used ping pong balls. Handle him briefly and stop if shows signs of discomfort. Offer tasty tidbits - all cats seem to adore those treat sticks in ALdi or Lidl! Let him come to you on his terms, he will get used to you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Don't make sudden, scary movements around him until he gets use to you and starts playin with you on his own accord, and remember to walk lightly around him. Get on the floor to his level - so you won't appear as big to him, call him using a soft voice, and lure him to you with tidbits as the others mentioned. Tuna also works wonders ;) And if you manage to pick him up and if he doesn't wriggle away, try and hold him and cuddle him as much as he allows you, then he'll learn to associate you with positive things. It won't be long before he comes to the door to greet you when you come home, you'll see! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Thanks all! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement