Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Smoker Ltd into liquidation

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

Creditors of Health Smoker Ltd (HSL) put the company into liquidation yesterday, just days before one of the world’s largest tobacco companies begins a legal action accusing it of trade mark breaches.

Japan Tobacco International (JTI), the multibillion euro valued maker of Silk Cut, Mayfair, Camel and Benson & Hedges brands, is due to begin litigation against the Waterford-based maker of liquids used in e-cigarettes or vaping on Monday.

HSL has previously said its business was so successful that it hoped to hire 80 new people in Waterford in the short-term and have a headcount of 1,000 within 12 months.

JTI however has raised concerns for some time about a number of liquids produced by HSL for use in e-cigarettes.

Among the brands that JTI believes infringes on its products are liquids made by HSL called Purple Silk, Calm Desert Brand, Kamel Blend and Myfair E-juice.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/health-pharma/waterford-based-e-cigarette-company-goes-in-to-liquidation-1.1912285

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It seemed a bit weird when loads of people applied for a job and got only spam in reply. Wonder what the idea behind the company spinning about creating new jobs now and more in the future, if it's business wasn't as solid as it maintained? Embarrassing for Bruton and his Department to be sold a pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

And people said i was negative when i pointed out it was all Bull**** and theyll be gone in no time due to change in laws.

I was slightly wrong. I thought the government would ban the Ecigs but turns out they where wiped out by the next biggest drug profiting scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sully wrote: »
    It seemed a bit weird when loads of people applied for a job and got only spam in reply. Wonder what the idea behind the company spinning about creating new jobs now and more in the future, if it's business wasn't as solid as it maintained? Embarrassing for Bruton and his Department to be sold a pup!

Going off topic, I remember years ago a few of my friends were caught out in something similar. They sent their CV to some recruiter along with a tenner (CV process fee) and then sat back and hopefully get called for an interview.

They never heard from or saw the guy again and of course the same could be said for their tenners.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

And people said i was negative when i pointed out it was all Bull**** and theyll be gone in no time due to change in laws.

I was slightly wrong. I thought the government would ban the Ecigs but turns out they where wiped out by the next biggest drug profiting scumbags.

You might be proven right in years to come, but it's going to be a longtime before there taken head on like the cigarette players. Even then, they may have enough money to just keep going and fight it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

You might be proven right in years to come, but it's going to be a longtime before there taken head on like the cigarette players. Even then, they may have enough money to just keep going and fight it out.

Other companies who arent dumb enough to call there Ecigs names such as Purple Silk and expect not to get sued into non-existence by the makers of SilkCut.

Same people who are dumb enough to think they can go from 20 employees to 1000 employees in 1 year in an already crowded marketplace i suppose.

Id say they regret putting out there bull**** statements such as how they "expect" to take on 1000 employees and produce 10 million units a year. Id imagine thats what made the legal shutdown start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I certainly wouldn't argue with you,
    The e-cig business model is a failed long term business model, it'll be shut down in time and it'll be no harm either.

It wouldn't surprise me if they popped up again under a different name with different branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

It wouldn't surprise me if they popped up again under a different name with different branding.

Happening as I type

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

just checked there website and it says Due to recent circumstances beyond our control this website will cease to operate.
    We wish to thank all our customers for their loyal support and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

from there facebook page: Due to circumstances beyond our control we have had to shut down our website and we also have been instructed to take down our facebook page. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to our loyal and valued customers. The reasoning behind this decision is based on legal proceedings that were issued against us by a large tobacco company for copyright infringement. This page will be deleted within the next 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

From the comments on the FB:
    As Manageress of Morley shop,we are still open and business as usual.
    We are currently changing the packaging only. To my knowledge no shops are closing.
    https://www.facebook.com/HealthierSmoker/posts/676240072453910?comment_id=676272282450689&offset=0&total_comments=10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

all went up in smoke

Advertisement