Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Fraud

Options
  • 01-09-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi, and apologies if I upset anyone by waking up this 5.5yr old thread instead of creating a new one :)

Was recently a victim of fraud myself, and after notifying Avant there was a strange transaction on my statement, went through the questions with the Fraud Dept, signed the form they posted to me and sent it back, then had to call them again to answer more questions, as another transaction appeared. They blocked that card, and issued a new one a few weeks later.

So, over a month has passed, I got another SMS this morning requesting I call the Fraud Dept.

Seems an attempt for a small amount was made from somewhere in the US, on the OLD card, that was blocked, with the old numbers. I mentioned that I now have a new card, old one was destroyed (chopped it up), but was then informed that if an attempt is made on the old card, they get an alert on their side and I will still have to call the Fraud Dept.

Should there be a free-phone number available for such incidents ? as I could end up a good few Euro down if I decide to call Avant whenever these SMS's arrive :rolleyes: Seems unfair that the consumer should take the hit, especially for attempts/transactions on a card that's no longer in use :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@CaSCaDe711 - In future, please create a new thread rather than resurrecting an old thread.

Post split out and moved to the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You should be able to contact them on the ''For all calls outside Ireland number'' which is +353 71 95 94040, which might be better than a 0818 number especially if you have a call package that includes calls to landlines.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You should be able to contact them on the ''For all calls outside Ireland number'' which is +353 71 95 94040, which might be better than a 0818 number especially if you have a call package that includes calls to landlines.

That's great advice. Usually when I've to call any businesses that have an 1890, 0818, etc I check to see have they a land-line number and call them on that. Usually works out a lot cheaper.

Advertisement