Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Interview

Options
  • 01-09-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I had a screen interview a few days ago for a developer role. There are a few thing that concerns me like all of the developers bar one is based in America. I have worked in teams where the other developers where based in London but at least that was the same time zone. Secondly the job would be 50%+ a QA role for up to a year and after that move into a developer role.

While the money is on the table is a good the above concerns have me wondering should I go for a second interview.

What would people do if they were in my shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If the money is good and you have nothing else lined up then take it. If it sucks you can always quit and find another.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

Ah I should of said I am currently in a developer role ATM for a much bigger company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

done4now wrote: »
    Secondly the job would be 50%+ a QA role for up to a year and after that move into a developer role.

When they say "50%+ QA for up to a year", you can read it as "50%+ QA for at least a year".

All the real development work will be done in the States, this sounds like a customer support office.

Unless money is a huge factor for you immediately, I'd reject it and stay with a development only role.
    Other companies will start you in a development role, they're only giving a vague promise to think about it in a year, and they can always keep stringing you along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

When they say "50%+ QA for up to a year", you can read it as "100% QA for at least a year forever".

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

TBH, unless you specifically want to move into QA or they're offering silly money, it makes little sense to leave a permanent developer role for this gig. Once you start doing QA, I guarantee you'll almost certainly stay in it - any promises they've made for the future are just conversation.

Even if they are offering silly money, moving into QA may harm your earning potential in the future, especially if you've still under five years under your belt - they may be offering silly money, but for QA, you generally will get less than you will for development.

I'd agree with others and suggest you hold out for another developer role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You can always go to the second interview and raise your concerns about the prospect of the qa role extending for greater than a year. Try and see if they are willing to get something concrete in place rather than the vague idea of up to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

So I was called for a second interview but I decided not to proceed as I felt it was too much of a risk seeing that I also have a stint in support as it may look on my C.V. I am not cut out for Development.

Was hard to say no as the wage was 25% more than that I am currently on but the benefits package wasn't as good.

Advertisement