Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work changing pay terms

Options
  • 01-09-2014 12:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hello,

I work in an office where a large part of our pay is based on commission. Recently we were called into the office & told our pay structure would be changing making it much more difficult to earn a decent wage. Most of the current staff here have been in employment with this company over 2 years+ & we've never been involved with a union.

Just wondering what the best option would be (a) to join a union, (b) contact an employment solicitor or (c) do nothing because it would be a waste of time.

I would be fairly confident that most of the staff would be up for joining a union as everyone seems fairly pissed off about it.

Thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

What does your contract say, and are they asking you to sign a new contract?

Are you working in the private sector?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

Sheeps wrote: »
    What does your contract say, and are they asking you to sign a new contract?

Are you working in the private sector?

Yes, I work in the private sector. I wouldn't really say its a new contract but its a form outlining our new pay, terms & conditions. It requires our signature but none of us have signed it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Solicitor is your best bet to be honest; if nothing else to get a lay of the land so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Sign nothing, ask for a week to absorb this news... mean while form a technical group with a rep, to speak on all ur behalf, even a solicitor will do.
    Contact a union with regards to joining en masse and ask for advice from them, they may send a official down to help u out.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

All of you should refuse to sign it, but maybe start looking elsewhere because if they are looking to cut the wage bill and can't then job cuts will be next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement