Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to buy before moving to oz

Options
  • 01-09-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

howdy all,

I handed in my notice here last week and will be flying out to oz soon!! :D

Before I head over, I probably need to do a good bout of clothes shopping, am i better off stocking up on socks, jocks, shirts, and trousers here while I live in belfast?

Anything else that is especially cheaper to buy here that would be worth my while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Before we arrived all we heard was bed sheets, socks, underwear, towels etc were crazy expensive here so bring loads. Turns out that's completely untrue, these things can be bought cheaply in stores like Kmart and Target. Make sure you have enough pairs of jeans, everything else can be got for the same prices as Ireland pretty much (clothes wise anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

howdy all,

I handed in my notice here last week and will be flying out to oz soon!! :D

Before I head over, I probably need to do a good bout of clothes shopping, am i better off stocking up on socks, jocks, shirts, and trousers here while I live in belfast?

Anything else that is especially cheaper to buy here that would be worth my while?

buy the lonely planet australia edition. its handy if you wanna do a road trip at some stage : ) you can have a read over it now and dream of the places you want to see. im slightly jealous i wanna go back ; (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

baldshin wrote: »
    Before we arrived all we heard was bed sheets, socks, underwear, towels etc were crazy expensive here so bring loads. Turns out that's completely untrue, these things can be bought cheaply in stores like Kmart and Target. Make sure you have enough pairs of jeans, everything else can be got for the same prices as Ireland pretty much (clothes wise anyway).
    Depends on where you'll be. We found Perth to massively expensive for basic essentials compared to Ireland and the quality and durability of cloths from Target etc was very low compared to Irelands basic providers like Dunnes and Pennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HHH

+1 on pairs of jeans. Hard to get a good fit out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

definitely the jeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Jeans, socks, underwear

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

mcdonnells curry , proper ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

If you currently own a laptop, you should bring it with you. It will work with a conversion plug.

No point in buying a new one here, they can be pricey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Feelgood wrote: »
    If you currently own a laptop, you should bring it with you. It will work with a conversion plug.

No point in buying a new one here, they can be pricey enough.

I actually find pretty much all electronics to be very cheap here. I've picked up an iPad air and a Toshiba encore tablet for $600, less than the cost of the iPad alone back home.

As an aside, keep an eye on ozbargain.com.au for deals. I've seen new macbook airs for $500 amongst other great deals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

am i better off stocking up on socks
    no
    jocks
    no
    shirts and trousers..?
    maybe, depending on your size! As a 29" inside leg type myself, i really miss marks & sparks. Even the kids pants / jeans whatever are almost a 32" minimum :( well fitting shirts can be easier to come by, but not always, and not cheap. M&S do deliver here and the prices are pretty good too if you know your sizes.
    Almost everything else you need can be got pretty cheap. Or expensive. Depends where you shop. If you stock up now, you do risk not having the appropriate clothes for the climate you're going to - Australia as a whole has a few of those..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Bring plenty of pairs of boot cut jeans. How the hell will anybody know you are Irish if you don't wear boot cut jeans in Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

baldshin wrote: »
    I actually find pretty much all electronics to be very cheap here. I've picked up an iPad air and a Toshiba encore tablet for $600, less than the cost of the iPad alone back home.

As an aside, keep an eye on ozbargain.com.au for deals. I've seen new macbook airs for $500 amongst other great deals there.

I bought a Mac Air out here too, way cheaper than home.

Keep a eye on the refurbished deals on the Apple Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

wow thanks for all the replies guys! Seems like I ought to do a trip into town and replace some worn pairs of jeans so!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

pete4130 wrote: »
    Bring plenty of pairs of boot cut jeans. How the hell will anybody know you are Irish if you don't wear boot cut jeans in Australia!

I wonder why they're called a pair of jeans when there's only one of them ? Definately don't bring any grey track suits with the track suit bottoms tucked into your socks, or any chavvy baseball caps. .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Long Gone wrote: »
    I wonder why they're called a pair of jeans when there's only one of them ?

i choose to believe the internets. seems legit. i guess the name just transferred to all type of crotch gloves incorrectly through common usage..

i choose to believe the internets. seems legit. i guess the name just transferred to all type of crotch gloves incorrectly through common usage..

Thanks - You learn something new every day....:)

Incidentally a 12 bore shotgun is called that because it takes 12 lead balls the same diameter as the bore of the shotgun to weigh one pound. Not a lot of people know that.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It will be summer soon and you wont need much in the way of warm clothes.

T-shirts, shorts and thongs.

To reduce the glare(on us Aussies), get a suntan before you leave Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Mach 3 razor blades.....cost a fortune here.

d.pop wrote: »
    Mach 3 razor blades.....cost a fortune here.

Cost a fortune everywhere......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

old_aussie wrote: »
    It will be summer soon and you wont need much in the way of warm clothes.

T-shirts, shorts and thongs.

To reduce the glare(on us Aussies), get a suntan before you leave Ireland.

yeah and it's the end of summer sales in shops here - i've been taking advantage!

don't worry about the whole suntan thing, i'm Belgian and as such have never been aflicted with the whole pasty burny skin thing. thank f*ck :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement