Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clicking in Front Mech??

• 01-09-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm hearing a fairly loud clicking noise when spinning the pedals and I'm wondering if anyone might know what it is?

Initially I thought it might be a damaged chain link but the period between clicks is quite irregular. Its not dirt either as I just washed the bike.

Hoping it's not the bottom bracket but I've a feeling thats what everyone will come back with!!

It doesnt seem to be causing any problem but its annoying the hell out of me.

It does seem to be more pronounced when putting more force into the down stroke, if that helps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    I'm hearing a fairly loud clicking noise when spinning the pedals and I'm wondering if anyone might know what it is?

Initially I thought it might be a damaged chain link but the period between clicks is quite irregular. Its not dirt either as I just washed the bike.

Hoping it's not the bottom bracket but I've a feeling thats what everyone will come back with!!

It doesnt seem to be causing any problem but its annoying the hell out of me.

It does seem to be more pronounced when putting more force into the down stroke, if that helps?

Could be any number of things but as you have suggested the bottom bracket could be the culprit..especially if you putting more pressure on the pedals....
    Process of elimination.. bb, pedals, is everything tight on the bike etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Is there any movement when you try to rock the cranks inwards/outwards (i.e. perpindicular to the normal plane of rotation)? If yes either the cranks are loose or you have a BB problem.

I had something similar last year - the click occurred once per crank rotation on the right hand downstroke. The BB was knackered on that side. (I know that's not what you want to hear). i had the noise for a good while before the play became evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭WilcoYHF

Is there any movement when you try to rock the cranks inwards/outwards (i.e. perpindicular to the normal plane of rotation)? If yes either the cranks are loose or you have a BB problem.

I had that problem with an old bike and yes it was the BB, but there's no movement in that direction. I was planning on giving it a good strip down and wash in the next few wks but wasn't planning on touching the BB.

I think I'll take off the front mech, chainrings and crankshafts, give them a wash, put them back on and see how they are. If that doesn't sort it it will probably be the BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Check your cleats. Might seem overly simple but it's a quick check and an easy win before pulling the bike to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think you need a new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Aln_S wrote: »
    Check your cleats. Might seem overly simple but it's a quick check and an easy win before pulling the bike to bits.
    Only checked mine the other day and they were loose and fixed a rattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭WilcoYHF

I'll check the cleats, I only replaced them a couple of weeks back so could be the problem.

Advertisement