Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with laptop/computer for Computer Applications

• 01-09-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey Readers,

I'm looking for a comp/laptop for Computer Apps in DCU, could anyone advise me on what type of comp I'll need and especially if Windows 8 is suited to its needs? i.e. how is it running programming software netbeans/python GUI.

Also, what do you use your device for in regards to doing the course?

Regards,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

Hey Readers,

I'm looking for a comp/laptop for Computer Apps in DCU, could anyone advise me on what type of comp I'll need and especially if Windows 8 is suited to its needs? i.e. how is it running programming software netbeans/python GUI.

Also, what do you use your device for in regards to doing the course?

Regards,
    James.

Id advise any half decent windows 7 laptop.
    I bought a Win8 one and downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AlTahir

Get a macbook air with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd, won't be disappointed, get an educational discount from campus.ie and you'll also receive a 70e apple gift voucher, all together it's 1250e

Battery late 12 hours, and is extremely extremely lightweight and potable.

That or get any generic 500e laptop with 8gb ram from argos or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

What's the budget? Try and future-proof it as much as possible. I'm also heading into Comp Apps, and my parents helped me dish out a fair bit for a grand ould MSI. Apparently we'll be working with VMs in second year, so at least 8gb ram needed there to work comfortably. Hopefully this **** of a laptop holds its battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Only took two reply for someone to recommend a Mac.

Half the specs for twice the price

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Half the specs for twice the price

Twice the battery life, superior construction, best in class ergonomics, an exceptional POSIX operating system. Yeah you're going to pay more compared to a cheap plastic Dell with the same Intel chip.

5uspect wrote: »
    Twice the battery life, superior construction, best in class ergonomics, an exceptional POSIX operating system. Yeah you're going to pay more compared to a cheap plastic Dell with the same Intel chip.

Why don't you compare it to something running windows at the same price? There's not a Win laptop out there at that price which wouldn't blow your Mac out of the water. The only superior aspect to a Mac is indeed the battery life, which is to be expected, considering it doesn't have to power very much.

Why don't you compare it to something running windows at the same price? There's not a Win laptop out there at that price which wouldn't blow your Mac out of the water. The only superior aspect to a Mac is indeed the battery life, which is to be expected, considering it doesn't have to power very much.

I'm not the one making the comparisons. I merely pointed out that simply considering CPU performance is not good enough.

What good is a machine that thermally throttles?
    What good is a fast machine with s rubbish track pad?
    What good I'd a machine with a rubbish screen that you have to state at all day?

The simple answer is that you should consider all aspects of a machine as well as the clock speed of the CPU. This isn't saying that Apple is the only option, the ZenBook or XPS 15 would be good alternatives, but it has set the bar where many others are racing to the bottom with cheap crappy machines.

And I say all this as a Windows, OS X and Linux user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Before I say anything, I am in EC, not CA.

I was always Windows. But having just finished my 3rd year work experience, all the developers in my organisation used MacBooks for programming / development. And I noticed myself how much better Macs are having developed on both over the course of this internship. I am planning on investing in a MacBook before final year starts in 2 weeks.

I'm not the one making the comparisons. I merely pointed out that simply considering CPU performance is not good enough.

What good is a machine that thermally throttles?
    What good is a fast machine with s rubbish track pad?
    What good I'd a machine with a rubbish screen that you have to state at all day?

The simple answer is that you should consider all aspects of a machine as well as the clock speed of the CPU. This isn't saying that Apple is the only option, the ZenBook or XPS 15 would be good alternatives, but it has set the bar where many others are racing to the bottom with cheap crappy machines.

And I say all this as a Windows, OS X and Linux user.

Yet again, you're comparing a +1000 euro macbook to low end Dell laptops, or whatever the hell you seem to think has generic screens and trackpads. I sure hope you enjoy being stereotyped as a magpie paying for a brand name, because that's what you're doing. Not once did I mention the CPU. Anyway, I've nothing against Mac users, but I hate when people compare top end apple products with windows machines designed to be cheap as ****.

We're way off topic here though. OP, go for a Mac if you're happy with limiting yourself. I don't even mean that in a sarcastic manner either, some people genuinely don't need to push boundaries. A Mac will cover all your college needs, but it will be exceptional at nothing.

• Advertisement

Yet again, you're comparing a +1000 euro macbook to low end Dell laptops, or whatever the hell you seem to think has generic screens and trackpads. I sure hope you enjoy being stereotyped as a magpie paying for a brand name, because that's what you're doing. Not once did I mention the CPU. Anyway, I've nothing against Mac users, but I hate when people compare top end apple products with windows machines designed to be cheap as ****.

We're way off topic here though. OP, go for a Mac if you're happy with limiting yourself. I don't even mean that in a sarcastic manner either, some people genuinely don't need to push boundaries. A Mac will cover all your college needs, but it will be exceptional at nothing.

Erm, I compared to >€1k machines such as the XPS 15 and ZenBook. Not sure how you'd be limited by a POSIX system. You'd have to install a load of FOSS or buy a load of expensive software otherwise.

I initially replied to Nordie Durdle about the half the spec and twice the price comment. It simply isn't true. I even provided machines that would be a fair comparison when accused of making comparisons.

How would a Mac, or even a Linux machine be deficient compared to a windows machine? How exactly would you be limited? Most people I know who write HPC code just code in vim and compile from the command line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Dont get a mac, programming applications for windows on it would be a pain.

Also, I spent 1k on an Asus U32VJ and no mac at the same price can compare to it, quad core i5, good GPU, 16gb of ram and a 256gb SSD. I've managed to get 15 hours out of the battery and the build quality is great. And that was bought two years ago now.

GarIT wrote: »
    Dont get a mac, programming applications for windows on it would be a pain.

Nobody is saying he should. But you can virtualise any OS you need regardless.
    He should get the machine and OS that best suits his needs.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Also, I spent 1k on an Asus U32VJ and no mac at the same price can compare to it, quad core i5, good GPU, 16gb of ram and a 256gb SSD. I've managed to get 15 hours out of the battery and the build quality is great. And that was bought two years ago now.

I doubt that you get 15 hours on average tho. The Air can pull 11 hours with a light workload, I guess you saw that amount of endurance with it sitting idle.

The i5 in the Asus U32VJ is a dual core i5-3210M; it has 4 threads. But, again, to my point you're comparing a machine of similar spec and price to the MacBook Air, which is what we should be doing. My initial reply is that you can't claim that a €500 machine is half the price and twice the spec of an Apple machine. This simply isn't true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Devostator

recommend a win 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jamezzyboyoo

Rofl, having worked in the industry, yes mac's are widely used by the devs and they do fulfill all needs and work well for programming. Saying THAT I definitely agree that comparing a macbook to low grade laptops isn't really fair, there are some windows/linux machines out there that put the Macbook to shame! But the prices of those are off the roof and really all I need a laptop for is to run VM's, program with java and write up reports.

In the end I decided to buy a 1TB 4GB RAM AMD Lenovo which is working perfectly currently. I have Linux Ubantu installed as a VM, java is pathed in as well as python and microsoft office 13 installed. I got this Lenovo for €320 in argos. (also came with McAfee installed)

So my advice for anybody buying laptops for College or indeed Computer Applications/Science, do not go mad buying UltraBooks or high end apple products, because really you are wasting your money. RAM can be upgraded, HDD can be upgraded, really if you know your way about you can upgrade as much as you like down the road!

Buy a laptop that will do what you want it to do and nothing more!

I initially replied to Nordie Durdle about the half the spec and twice the price comment. It simply isn't true.

I was exaggerating to make a point; for anyone without buckets of extra income the ludicrous price of Apples products isn't justified by the spec you receive.
    Certainly not for a college student using programs that are available for Windows. The only exceptions being where a mac only piece of software is required such as Logic Pro for music production. I wouldn't like someone to read this thread and put themselves under unnecessary financial pressure thinking they NEED a Mac.
    Having said all that I did buy a Sony Vaio (also overpriced) as there was an offer on. It's an i7, 17", 1080p, 8GB, 256 SSD with 3D graphics and even it was well under a grand.

In the end I decided to buy a 1TB 4GB RAM AMD Lenovo which is working perfectly currently. I have Linux Ubantu installed as a VM, java is pathed in as well as python and microsoft office 13 installed. I got this Lenovo for €320 in argos. (also came with McAfee installed)

Should do grand I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jamezzyboyoo

Should do grand I'd say.

Hopefully! If not I've enough left over cash to get it repaired!

Advertisement