Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uber introducing surge pricing

Options
  • 01-09-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Uber as of this weekend will be introducing surge pricing. They will be charging more for taxis when there is a high demand. We will now be able to get charged more for each taxi during these times. They did the same thing in New York during a snow storm and raised their prices. What does everyone think about these charges? Will it work in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Tommy54 wrote: »
    Uber as of this weekend will be introducing surge pricing. They will be charging more for taxis when there is a high demand. We will now be able to get charged more for each taxi during these times. They did the same thing in New York during a snow storm and raised their prices. What does everyone think about these charges? Will it work in Ireland?

For the fact that you don’t know what limousines are (see your Hailo thread) it’s interesting that you are talking about uber and surge pricing.

Assuming that mean uber x (as you say taxi’s) you are wrong, surge pricing is in Dublin for taxi’s since 2 weeks ago (now there is a conspiracy for you, rail strike and surge pricing).

And giving that uber x usually is cheaper than the taxi meter, even with surge pricing you might be spending less money than with a Hailo or Rank cab.

Now I disagree with surge pricing, the provider should have enough cars available to cover especially in Dublin where there is more than enough cabs out there that want work. It makes sense in highly regulated markets where it gives me as the customer the opportunity to pay extra to get a car, but in Dublin where supply usually outstrips demand it’s not a wise move. Alternatively have higher rates to begin with to get more drivers on board.

Now if they do surge pricing for uber black, I’m going to move to Hailo Exec

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Tommy54

Just trying to find the best and cheapest one to suit my own personal needs. I don't want to be caught at a busy time and have to pay more than usual. Any ideas on what would be best for me. Usually get three or four taxis a week.

Advertisement