Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering,where to begin?

• 01-09-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi
    I have been thinking for few months now about volunteering with dogs in Dublin.I have no idea where to begin,the choice between guide dogs or dog re- homing centre.the odd thing is that i have an initial fear of dogs but once i get to know and trust them I adore them.I am not in a position to house a dog and thought I could possibly walk a dog maybe 2/3 times a week.

I am looking for your experiences please and advice.it may not work out at all but i am willing to give it a try.keep me out walking for the winter and hopefully keep some dogs active and stimulated.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Personally I'd go with a re-homing center. Guide Dogs volunteers is more holiday cover where you take the dog for a few days/weeks while the puppy walker/owner is away etc or volunteering with collections etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I volunteer for a few rehoming charities but only one has premises in Dublin (north). If you're specifically looking to muck out or help with walking they're always very grateful of the help. PM me for info ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I do volunteer work for a charity (cash collections, organising dog walks etc). I have contact details of the charity if you want to get in touch with them. PM mail me for details!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Lots of rehoming centres have volunteer programmes and are desperately in need of help. Seeing as you are a bit nervous I'd recommend a very large centre in North Dublin as you have to spend a day doing a handling course beforehand. I've volunteered in other places where you walk in the door, are handled a lead and off you go - unfortunately not everywhere is as well equipped to train volunteers due to lack of resources.

Advertisement