Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone needed - suggestions

Options
  • 01-09-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all
    my iphone got a bit damp a few weeks ago and while it is limping along ok it is now just to frustrating to keep.
    - wifi not working
    - rings just once for incoming calls (sometimes it just vibrates, so missing calls)
    - loud speaker not working

So I need to get a new phone, going sim free as I will be changing my call package when out of contract with three in october and will look for the best package across all networks then.

Any suggestions for a decent smart phone, reasonable priced and also where to buy sim-free phones
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Hi all
    my iphone got a bit damp a few weeks ago and while it is limping along ok it is now just to frustrating to keep.
    - wifi not working
    - rings just once for incoming calls (sometimes it just vibrates, so missing calls)
    - loud speaker not working

So I need to get a new phone, going sim free as I will be changing my call package when out of contract with three in october and will look for the best package across all networks then.

Any suggestions for a decent smart phone, reasonable priced and also where to buy sim-free phones
    Thanks

What is your budget, what OS are you looking for?.. most people buying sim free look to low to med range for price reasons.

Clove.co.uk, expansys and amazon would be places to pick up unlocked phones which should also work with 4g/LTE frequencies in Ireland.

For Android I would look at the Moto G 4G at the low end and the Nexus 5 for med/high end.
    For Windows Phone it would be the Lumia 625 at the low end and the Lumia 930 at the high end

You could also look at picking up former range toppers which have been superseded and can be picked up a bit more reasonably, Samsung S4, HTC One (M7) LG G2, Sony Z1, Lumia 925.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

What James said but if your going with the Moto G check out tesco direct. Unlock codes can be got for €2 from eBay for this phone so no need to buy an unlocked one. Would work out much cheaper than the likes of expansys.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 schoolhouse

Thanks or the suggestions.
    I am someone who uses phone or calls texts viber and a couple of other apps.
    Clueless when it comes to phone specs etc and have an iphone 4s because it came with my network contract.
    Budget is €200-250 which I know limits my options.
    The little research I have done seems to suggest that the iphone is overpriced or what you get compared to other makes?? its is also outside budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Any Smartphone can do what you mention above, the i-phone is overpriced as a rule but any high end phone can be considered overpriced if all you use it for calls, texting and only a few apps.

At that price range it would be the Moto G or Lumia 625 both of which should easily do what you require without breaking the bank.

Advertisement