Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando for a week?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

One bad thing about United is that you have to pay for the inflight entertainment on the internal legs and Newark to Orlando is a long enough flight when you've no films or TV shows to watch. I don't know if that's standard but it was this way on our flights to/from Orlando from Newark. .

I think that's standard on internal flights, we had a slight delay MCO-EWR on the way home, maybe 60 minutes & they gave the passengers free IFE because of the delay, so fair enough, was glad of the few hours layover though as would have missed the SNN flight otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Been will have been 15 years since I was on a trans-atlantic flight so apologies if.I'm being dumb.... but do the seats have chargers or usb sockets? If they do that will solve the in-flight entertainment.

And what's the story in these paranoid times with bringing lunches and water into the park in a backpack or bag?

All the Universal tips noted. We had asked for a check-in from 7am to 8am, room is most likely to be ready but even if it's not we can drop our bags and head on to the parks.

James74 wrote: »
    Been will have been 15 years since I was on a trans-atlantic flight so apologies if.I'm being dumb.... but do the seats have chargers or usb sockets? If they do that will solve the in-flight entertainment.

And what's the story in these paranoid times with bringing lunches and water into the park in a backpack or bag?

All the Universal tips noted. We had asked for a check-in from 7am to 8am, room is most likely to be ready but even if it's not we can drop our bags and head on to the parks.

My eldest was charging his iPhone for sure, assume usb

No food, straws etc will be allowed into Busch, Seaworld or Discovery Cove because of the animals but they will happily sell you food there

All bags all parks will be x-rayed or searched, you'll go through airport style metal detectors, was even asked to open my glasses case

Never brought food into the other parks so not 100% sure what's allowed but certainly up to a point food is allowed, small soft sided cooler bags I'm sure are allowed, their websites should have that info, you can get free ice water any any of the quick service restaurants if you ask but if you go to a 7-11 or publix you can buy water very cheaply, freeze a few over night & they will thaw out as the day goes on

Bring as few bags as possible as they are a pain, we brought one small backpack for sunscreen, phones, water etc between the 4 of us, at Universal, you will have to keep putting it in a locker anyway, free for 2 hours IIRC

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/16/13-questions-and-answers-about-bringing-your-own-food-to-disney-theme-parks/

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/hours-information/policies-restrictions/index.html#security-and-restrictions

Well sometimes you just need a nudge, and the posting back and forth here today has just nudged me into booking the flights, park tickets, car hire and the Universal Loews hotel for next May & June :D on an 18 day blow out.

Ah feck it, sure what else would I do with several thousand notes! The wains are only young once.

Well pleased with the flights. Four of us for €1653 with United, Dublin to Orlando via Newark. Bit concerned about the stopovers in Newark as I'm just noticing that on the way out it's just 1hr-35mins between flights, and 1hr-30mins on the way home. Doesn't give much leeway for delays.

It's mad that the park tickets are far and away the biggest expense at £2856stg for everything.

The one night stay in Loews was cheaper than buying express passes for four people for two days. So again, happy with that.

The good lady is buzzing already, going to be a long wait. Thanks again for the feedback folks. I'm sure I'll be picking your collective brains as time gets closer.

Well sometimes you just need a nudge, and the posting back a forth here today has just nudged me into booking the flights, park tickets, car hire and the Universal Loews hotel for next May & June :D on an 18 day blow out.

Ah feck it, sure what else would I do with several thousand notes! The wains are only young once.

Well please with the flights for the four of us for €1653 with United, Dublin to Orlando via Newark. Bit concerned about the stopovers in Newark as I'm just noticing that on the way out it's just 1hr-35mins, and 1hr-30mins on the way home. Doesn't give much leeway for delays.

It's mad that the park tickets are far and away the biggest expense at £2856stg for everything.

The one night stay in Loews was cheaper than buying express passes for four people for two days. So again, happy with that.

The good lady is buzzing already, going to.ve a long wait.

Great flight price, should be ok with flights on way out, we've had very similar, no problems, would be nervous about the return leg to EWR, not much wriggle room if delayed out of MCO but United will look after you one way or another

Yep, tickets are expensive

We stayed at Hard Rock for 2 nights, on reflection should have stayed 3, we rode Hulk multiple times until our heads hurt, with express pass, passing the same people in the standby line time & time again, it's really not the same revisiting Universal as an off-site guest after experiencing being on-site

Get travel insurance with 10 million medical cover asap

Enjoy planning your first trip & you may as well start planning your second LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well sometimes you just need a nudge, and the posting back and forth here today has just nudged me into booking the flights, park tickets, car hire and the Universal Loews hotel for next May & June :D on an 18 day blow out.

Well pleased with the flights. Four of us for €1653 with United, Dublin to Orlando via Newark. Bit concerned about the stopovers in Newark as I'm just noticing that on the way out it's just 1hr-35mins between flights, and 1hr-30mins on the way home. Doesn't give much leeway for delays.

You should be fine. We did that route with United in April and had lots of time given that normally the flight arrives in Newark before the scheduled arrival time and your connection will be in the same terminal and most likely the next gate over.

If you don't make connections United will put you on next available flight anyway. I think they have flights every 2 hours from Newark to Orlando

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Just a word of warning to those traveling through the uk to Orlando (I'm sure other areas of the US also).

I noticed on one of my Facebook orlando groups that cracked screen devices are not being allowed in the cabin through Gatwick.

I've no idea if this is originating in the U.K. Or is a TSA requirement in which case it should be everywhere. But people are being stopped and told to put their devices in their luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Okay a bit far away I know but we have two girls currently 3.5 and 5 so we were thinking 2021 or 2022 for a trip of a lifetime. And then thought maybe go in 2019 and just do disney sea world and aquatica and leave it for another 4 years to do universal?
    Any suggestions? What age should the girls need to be for universal?
    I was there in 2005 and loved it but didnt do universal.
    It is an expensive but it is something I would love my girls to experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

pajoguy wrote: »
    Okay a bit far away I know but we have two girls currently 3.5 and 5 so we were thinking 2021 or 2022 for a trip of a lifetime. And then thought maybe go in 2019 and just do disney sea world and aquatica and leave it for another 4 years to do universal?
    Any suggestions? What age should the girls need to be for universal?
    I was there in 2005 and loved it but didnt do universal.
    It is an expensive but it is something I would love my girls to experience.

Universal is a bit of a waste until i would say at least 10+. You are better off waiting for universal for everyody to be big enough for all the rides.

I spent 10 days onsite at universal last year, and they can be long days out for young kids, best to wait.

I'd also wait, start saving if required and stay on-site at both Disney & Universal, Disney recently announced their plans for the next few years, the older the kids are, the more they will get out of it,
    Our youngest was 6 when the she first went, didn't get much out of Universal, a bit more when 8, this year at 11 she was able for all the coasters

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/d23/news/17jul2017-recap---all-the-announcements-from-d23-expo-2017.htm

• Advertisement

So, we received all the tickets yesterday so last night we told our two (ages 10 & 12) about the holiday. What did they seem the most excited about? ....the feckin' pool at the villa! Ah well, nice to get the countdown started.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I'd also wait, start saving if required and stay on-site at both Disney & Universal, Disney recently announced their plans for the next few years, the older the kids are, the more they will get out of it,
    Our youngest was 6 when the she first went, didn't get much out of Universal, a bit more when 8, this year at 11 she was able for all the coasters

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/d23/news/17jul2017-recap---all-the-announcements-from-d23-expo-2017.htm

Wow. Some great additions to come in the next few years. Yes will definitely wait until they are old enough for universal. Some great vlogs on youtube of peoples trips. #addicted

Advertisement