Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no carbination

Options
  • 01-09-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys just a quick one. I have some red ale in the bottle for two weeks now and there is a slight pop when i open the bottle but no carbination at all. I think the problem is that I only filled the bottles to the bottom of the neck instead of half way up. I was going to open them up and fill them up and add 1/2 a carb drop or should i just wait a while longer before doing anything.. thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You havent said how you carbonated the bottles. Did you use drops? How many? What size are the bottles? Where and at what temperature have they been stored?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brucy

Hi drumswan.. I used 1/2 teaspoon of spraymalt in 500ml bottles stored at room tempreature ( about 21 ) thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

brucy wrote: »
    Hi drumswan.. I used 1/2 teaspoon of spraymalt in 500ml bottles stored at room tempreature ( about 21 ) thanks for the reply

mmmh, you generally want less than 5 grams of sugar to prime a 500ml, that's a teaspoon of sugar.

Spraymalt is only around 70% fermentable, so you really only primed with a third of a spoon of sugar equivalent. Looks like you need to up your priming rates

thanks oblivious...so should i pop them and add more spraymalt do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

brucy wrote: »
    thanks oblivious...so should i pop them and add more spraymalt do you think?

You could but you run the risk of infection and oxidation. Is there any carbonation in the beer

• Advertisement

There is a small amount, it hisses a bit when you pop it and it has a bit of foam around the head but basically flat. It doesn't seem there is much i can do about it except maybe give it more time and chalk it down to experience

Advertisement