Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFL Finals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Anyone predicting any upsets this weekend or is everyone expecting a Sydney/Hawks GF?

I'm thinking the Sydney/North game will be the closest of the two but I still see Sydney having too much for North. North have the potential to beat any team on their day but I think this might be a step too far for them.
    Boomer very lucky to be let off with that. Stupid thing to do with points hanging over him. Definitely a heart over head decision to allow him to play but it'll be a boost for the Roos. Del Santo was class last week.

I don't see Hawks/Port being as close. Port done amazingly well to win in Perth but Freo really should've won it by a healthy margin if they could've kicked straight. Hawks at the G will be too much and I see them winning easily.
    Still no word on Cyril. I'm thinking they might start him on the bench and hold onto him if he's needed. Probably too much to ask to throw him straight back into a GF next weekend (if they get there) so he will need some minutes on the field.

Sydney/Hawks grand final next weekend for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Hard to see anything but a Hawks/Swans granny. In fairness, I think they have been the two outstanding teams of year and deserved finalists.

Hoping Hawks take it out. With all injuries and dramas they have endured this season and to have finished as well as they did, just have to admire their attitude and how they play the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Anyone predicting any upsets this weekend or is everyone expecting a Sydney/Hawks GF?

I'm thinking the Sydney/North game will be the closest of the two but I still see Sydney having too much for North. North have the potential to beat any team on their day but I think this might be a step too far for them.
    Boomer very lucky to be let off with that. Stupid thing to do with points hanging over him. Definitely a heart over head decision to allow him to play but it'll be a boost for the Roos. Del Santo was class last week.

I don't see Hawks/Port being as close. Port done amazingly well to win in Perth but Freo really should've won it by a healthy margin if they could've kicked straight. Hawks at the G will be too much and I see them winning easily.
    Still no word on Cyril. I'm thinking they might start him on the bench and hold onto him if he's needed. Probably too much to ask to throw him straight back into a GF next weekend (if they get there) so he will need some minutes on the field.

Sydney/Hawks grand final next weekend for me

pretty much agree with all that. Interesting that North have beaten the other 3 teams left this season already and didnt lose to any of them. They are more than capable, but as well known with them, consistency is their issue. I cant see them losing concentration or consistency now though, finals is surely enough to ensure they get the best out of themselves. Still think that the Swans will take them in spite of all that though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Agreed... Having the week off and a home advantage is a massive help to both favourites. Yes, North have taken the Swans in Sydney already but finals footy is finals footy.
    Can't really see Port stopping the Hawks scoring and can see both teams topping 100pts, but Hawks for me.
    Not as certain for the other Prelim; still, Sydney to come through. Wouldn't be surprised to see them either win by less than 10pts or more than 10 goals! Depends on which North turns up.

Still seething at Freo's performance against Port. Grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Ah Jaysus, I would of rather got a hiding like North did than how that game finished today.

What an outstanding comeback in the 4th by Port, if there was 5 minutes added to that game I would of bet my house they would of won.

Truly heartbreaking way to lose. I was screaming at the TV at 10 am in the morning. I feel sick now.

Swans V Hawks next weekend. The spotlight will be all about Buddy now I'd imagine coming up in a grand final against his old club. I really couldn't give 2 shítes who wins it though.

Do we have Hawks or Swans fans here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

Yep! Swans fan here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I think hawks will win. (From a freo fan) interesting to see if buddy will go into hiding during the game or put on the buddy show. Hope it's a good game go hawks.

I don't like to see swans buy a finial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I follow the Swans as well.
    Re madforsimmental's post. There had been rumblings of disquiet about Sydney's wage structure cap and the living allowance. I would expect more about that if the Swans win. Has there been anymore on that recently?

A few facts.
    Sydney walloped Hawks at SCG
    Lost by 10 at the MCG
    Sydney minor premiers despite horror start to season,
    Hawks nearly lost to Port.
    Hawks seemed to tire in fourth quarter.
    Sydneys tackle rate will more than tire them.
    We beat them last time.
    Sydney to win, in a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Hmm looks like my 5+ goals victory for the Hawks was a bit wide of the mark. Looked good midway through the final term but fair play to Port - what a finish! Would've been disappointed if there were no Melbourne teams in the final so I'm happy with the outcome. Grand Final day is always a huge session in the Hawthorn Hotel so glad I'm getting to keep that tradition :)

As for who'll win the final, I'm not sure. The bookies have Sydney as slight favourites and that's about right. They've had an easier game plus an extra 24 hours rest. If the Hawks fade in the final quarter like they did against Port, Sydney will put them to the sword. Head says the Swans will do it but heart says Hawks.

Fully expect Selwood to take the Brownlow medal tomorrow night too. Amazing that Ablett is still second favourite after missing such a huge portion of the season. Such a pity he won't be able to play the international rules later in the year.

• Advertisement

Sydneys strength has always been to finish out games, maintain tackle rates, win the contested ball right up to the siren. that last quarter by Hawks was telling. If that happens again, we'll win by a about 24. If not it will be close, rather like all three Grannies we've been in lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Hmm looks like my 5+ goals victory for the Hawks was a bit wide of the mark. Looked good midway through the final term but fair play to Port - what a finish! Would've been disappointed if there were no Melbourne teams in the final so I'm happy with the outcome. Grand Final day is always a huge session in the Hawthorn Hotel so glad I'm getting to keep that tradition :)

As for who'll win the final, I'm not sure. The bookies have Sydney as slight favourites and that's about right. They've had an easier game plus an extra 24 hours rest. If the Hawks fade in the final quarter like they did against Port, Sydney will put them to the sword. Head says the Swans will do it but heart says Hawks.

Fully expect Selwood to take the Brownlow medal tomorrow night too. Amazing that Ablett is still second favourite after missing such a huge portion of the season. Such a pity he won't be able to play the international rules later in the year.

Saturday was a great game and the Port fans really knew how to bring the noise. Port were the better team for long stretches but couldn't brink it to bear on the scoreboard and when Hawthorn got their chances they were ruthless. One stark difference for me in both games was the gulf in class between Buddy and Roughead versus Petrie and Schulz. Both of the latter are excellent players but missed crucial shots early in the game which as underdogs, their team needed.

Having said that, if Port had 2 more minutes they probably would have gotten over the line. Lewis was a huge loss in the middle in the last quarter and I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this. If he's underdone at all on Saturday the Hawks are in huge trouble.

It's really hard to tip against Sydney but it should be close. Can Gibson handle Buddy? I'm getting on Benny McGlynn for the Norm Smith against his old club. He's had a ripper season, polled well in the Brownlow and missed 2 years ago through injury so more incentive than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

SSK wrote: »
    Saturday was a great game and the Port fans really knew how to bring the noise. Port were the better team for long stretches but couldn't brink it to bear on the scoreboard and when Hawthorn got their chances they were ruthless. One stark difference for me in both games was the gulf in class between Buddy and Roughead versus Petrie and Schulz. Both of the latter are excellent players but missed crucial shots early in the game which as underdogs, their team needed.

Having said that, if Port had 2 more minutes they probably would have gotten over the line. Lewis was a huge loss in the middle in the last quarter and I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this. If he's underdone at all on Saturday the Hawks are in huge trouble.

It's really hard to tip against Sydney but it should be close. Can Gibson handle Buddy? I'm getting on Benny McGlynn for the Norm Smith against his old club. He's had a ripper season, polled well in the Brownlow and missed 2 years ago through injury so more incentive than most.

Great insight as always, SSK. I have a strong feel for Hawthorn. I think their passing game will undo Sydney and although they had luck against Port, I genuinely believe no team would have beaten Port by much last Saturday.

Lewis is crucial if he plays. I think Gunston will step up to the mark and Rioli might be the ace in the pack. I think they will tie up the Sydney smalls and will have a plan to deal with Buddy. I think they will have a lot of success around the outside along the half forward line.

They are ruthless and will get lots of inside 50's. I think they will win by 4 goals +!!!

Bit of a high odds prediction but there you go....

Sorry to disagree, but Hawks would have beaten Port by a fair bit had they not stopped playing. Sydney would never have thrown away an advantage like that. Hawks will need Swans to have an awful day to win.

There was only ever three teams in it and one was not Port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I hope the third won't fall off the wagon next year. Ross seems to have allot of passion for the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

So Rioli is in. Not too surprising a call, couldnt leave someone of his ability out, even if he can only give 15 mins as the sub, the impact he could have in the 4th quarter could be vital.

I still think Sydney will win though. They just seem a more consistent side and very powerful. Lake will be targeted I reckon by Tippet, as I'd say Gibson will take Buddy.

Beautiful day for it. Sydney deserved favorites but really hope Hawks can get up.

Garn da Hawks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Big ask For swans now too much to do

Sorry to disagree, but Hawks would have beaten Port by a fair bit had they not stopped playing. Sydney would never have thrown away an advantage like that. Hawks will need Swans to have an awful day to win.

I think it's fair to say that Sydney are having an awful day. Sorry my prediction was so far out. Hawthorne are class everywhere. They were lucky last week but this match has gone exactly as I thought it would. And yes, I am gloating!
    PS its not even three quarter time yet.

• Advertisement

GIVE HODGE THE MEDAL!!!

Have $20 on him 15/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Been checking the scores on footy live. Buddy got 4 goals. Nothing from Tippet. Fair play to Hawks, nearly 50 point margin.

After todays 'debacle', and with Ryder going to Port, I think the only team that has the capability to match Hawthorne next year is 'the fourth' team. And I don't even support them!

Go Crows!!

Hard to work out what went wrong. Hawks had a very good day. Sydney were as bad as I've ever seen them since 95. I think the ferocity of Hawks tackling surprised them in the first quarter and when it showed positively on the scoreboard the game just got away. Fair play to Hawks. Their confidence grew and they didn't tire. It was over by half time.

Advertisement