Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dura Ace 9000 52/36...

• 01-09-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Looking at Canyon's 2015 line up, all the Dura Ace cranksets seems to have switched to 52/36, previously there was a choice of either compact or standard 53/39... I currently have 53/39, not too enthusiastic about changing something if it ain't broke but just wondering if anyone out there is using 52/36 at the moment and could offer any pros or cons...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Not having the 39 would annoy me, as it would have me jumping from the big and small ring to stop cross chaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I have the mid compact, previously had a compact and am happy with it. No need for me to have standard gearing as I'm small and try and avoid riding flat routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is the 53/39 not available as an option? I seen some that had 50/34 that offered 53/36 as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Is the 53/39 not available as an option? I seen some that had 50/34 that offered 53/36 as an option.

No option to select a 53/39 on the 2015 range by the looks of it, and Canyon make it clear that they won't change anything unless the option is shown on the configuration screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

I was seriously thinking of ordering a new Canyon, but I was put off by the fact that they only come in the 'mid compact' (I am a middle aged weakling and need the low gears, so I need my traditional compact). The only consolation I found is that the new chain-rings all have the 110 mm BCD (bolt circle diameter), so they are all interchangeable (traditionally a standard has a 130 mm bcd and the compact has a 110 bcd). So I could still order the bike from Canyon and just change the chain-ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

youtheman wrote: »
    I was seriously thinking of ordering a new Canyon, but I was put off by the fact that they only come in the 'mid compact' (I am a middle aged weakling and need the low gears, so I need my traditional compact). The only consolation I found is that the new chain-rings all have the 110 mm BCD (bolt circle diameter), so they are all interchangeable (traditionally a standard has a 130 mm bcd and the compact has a 110 bcd). So I could still order the bike from Canyon and just change the chain-ring.

That's an option alright, although changing both to 53/39 looks like costing just shy of €200, might work out cheaper just buying a new crankset and trying to sell the 52/36.... Bit of a pain in the ass that they won't let you select your preferred crankset combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Going from Standard to semi-compact
    Pros
    • Lowest gear is slightly lower
    • More discrete ratios
    Cons
    • Highest gear is slightly lower

That should answer your question OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Bikeradar were suggesting moving to a 52-36 from 50-34 for compact users as a way of increasing top end speed without having to change crankset.
    They've a table of ratios which might help with what to choose.

1383002861056-ft8f05q9bky4-960-540.jpg

Advertisement