Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football All Stars 2014

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thank you for agreeing about McCarthy- individual performance of the year? That is a ridiculous statement for godsake- cop yourself on.

The club matches are irrelevant- they are not part of the senior all ireland championship.

The clamour for Connolly to get an All Star and POTY has been embarrassing and completely unfounded to be honest.
    As I have said before- he is easily one of top 2/3 players in the country but he wasnt one of the top performers in this years championship.

Stop making stuff up so that you can just ram your opinions down people's necks. You have no basis for saying that club matches are irrelevant as they are not part of the senior all Ireland championship. Or if you do - point me in the direction where it says that All-stars are not to be picked on club performances.

People have mentioned that the all-star committee have not seen Donacha Walsh or James O'Donoghue play for their respective clubs and that it's not fair that the performances of Diarmuid Connolly have been seen and have drawn media attention. Regarding club performances, I would agree that very little or even no emphasis should be placed on such matches in the county championships - the level of opposition is generally very average. Perhaps a bit of emphasis to be placed on the provincial matches. But when you get to the All-Ireland club semi and final - then it's different. The opposition are a far sterner test, and some emphasis should on this. Obviously, more emphasis should then be placed on the inter-county championship.
    All-star for Connolly - definitely. Player of the year - no, didn't do enough.

Preaching at someone in a forum to cop yourself on is very insulting. The only individual performance that I can think of that would be on par with Connollys against Donegal would be JOD versus Cork. And that was against a ghost of a defence as opposed to the tightly organised defence that Donegal had. The same defence that JOD scored the grand total of nil against. What individual performance would you say can better those two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You have got to be joking if you think that AOS would not make the Kerry or Donegal teams.

Fair enough if you don't think that he deserved an all-star but that's just a ridiculous statement!

Just look at it like this :AOS can only play at 8,9,11,14 because of his physical condition. So would he compete with Moran/Maher, Buckley at 11 or Donaghy at 14.? not a hope in hell.
    Now take Donegal, Gallagher/McNialis, Murphy at 11 or McFadden at 14.? again not a chance.
    Hypothetical situation aside neither Fitzmaurice on McGuinness would pick him because of (a) his fitness or rather lack of it (b) not a good enough team player for what both demand of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

3 counties represented. Why dont they just nominate the All-Ireland winning team and be done with it? Oh wait. - the way it's going they probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

feargale wrote: »
    3 counties represented. Why dont they just nominate the All-Ireland winning team and be done with it? Oh wait. - the way it's going they probably will.

Go home dude, you're drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

washman3 wrote: »
    Just look at it like this :AOS can only play at 8,9,11,14 because of his physical condition. So would he compete with Moran/Maher, Buckley at 11 or Donaghy at 14.? not a hope in hell.
    Now take Donegal, Gallagher/McNialis, Murphy at 11 or McFadden at 14.? again not a chance.
    Hypothetical situation aside neither Fitzmaurice on McGuinness would pick him because of (a) his fitness or rather lack of it (b) not a good enough team player for what both demand of players.

That certaintly cannot be questioned, super fit player. What a lazy lazy analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

That certaintly cannot be questioned, super fit player. What a lazy lazy analysis

Completely off the pace in Limerick in the semi, even before the perceived 'concussion'. Completely off the pace in last years final, yet the sideline wizards decided to take off Seamus who was playing very well. Complately off the pace V Kerry in the semi 2 years ago.
    Super fit player..?? maybe by club standards but in crunch do or die intercounty championship games he's well off the mark.
    Good footballer though I do admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Completely off the pace in Limerick in the semi, even before the perceived 'concussion'. Completely off the pace in last years final, yet the sideline wizards decided to take off Seamus who was playing very well. Complately off the pace V Kerry in the semi 2 years ago.
    Super fit player..?? maybe by club standards but in crunch do or die intercounty championship games he's well off the mark.

No way, maybe he was losing his individual battle in Limerick but why does that bring fitness into question?

He has done the most work of any Mayo player in a free role from centre forward IMO hes been everywhere.

Go home dude, you're drunk.

Sorry wrong thread. Not drunk but somtimes tge GAA could drive me to it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Pure daft youd swear there was no matches played before august

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

Sure Donaghy couldn't even get on his team for the majority of the championship.

When the writing was on the wall for Kerry against Mayo (twice), he delivered. When the All Ireland Final was there to be won, he delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sure Donaghy couldn't even get on his team for the majority of the championship.

Yeah injuries will do that all right....

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Yeah injuries will do that all right....

I've been infirm for years and they never pick me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Blame the GAA journalists who select the 45 nominations and the players who do the voting. The journalists gave them players from 10 different counties to chose from, albeit the proponderance being heavily from the four semi finalists. The only way to make it a bit fairer would be to allow 6 nominations for each position instead of 3. But would that get a much different result at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Totally agree. Good player but hugely overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Radio5 wrote: »
    When the writing was on the wall for Kerry against Mayo (twice), he delivered. When the All Ireland Final was there to be won, he delivered.

Just for the sake of argument;
    • he contributed basically nothing all season
    • he was thrown on against Mayo and caught a ball in the first game (scored 0)
    • he landed some handy frees (ie the ref gave him frees that weren't frees) in the replay and he bagged a goal by showing good forward instincts (scored 1-0)
    • he had a goal handed to him on a plate in the AI final, scored a good point. He hardly contributed an all-star performance (scored 1-02, 0-1f)

Paul Geaney arguably had a better season. He had 1-02, 0-1f in the final (the same as Donaghy), he had 0-04, 0-03f in the replay and a pointed free in the first game against Mayo. In the matches Donaghy was judged on, Geaney was arguably better.

I wouldn't have given Donaghy an all-star personally. I'd have given it to Donnchadh Walsh.

Advertisement