Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insuring secondhand phone?

• 01-09-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all,

If there's already a thread for this feel free to move!

I've been unlucky with phones in the past and have had my last two (both iPhones) stolen. I've finally learnt my lesson and will not be buying another one without insurance. I was just wondering is there any restrictions on insuring a phone that you haven't bought new, or is it possible at all?

Another question which may be a bit subjective- is there any way to protect yourself from getting ripped off if buying a phone on donedeal or the like?

Many thanks for any help provided!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Anybody??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Tips for buying secondhand has been done to death. Do a search on "secondhand". Insurance would need to be via house insurance, I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

I used gadget insurance and found them a rip off as used every little T&C s so they not have to pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Careful when ensuring a secondhand phone via independent insurance or house insurance as some places will not pay out unless you have proof of purchase for your phone from a retailer. An email from donedeal etc won't do for lots of places as a receipt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I claimed for my iPhone 3GS on my travel insurance a year or two back. It was my spare phone and I bought it second hand on adverts. No receipt, or proof of purchase required.

That was with AIB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement