Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know who owns those 2 boxer dogs in Charlesland?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Earlier today my 72 year old father was out walking his little Jack Russell around the park when his dog was attacked by two boxers that were off the lead along with their owners. I've seen these dogs before and they're quite big and the owners are Polish or Eastern European. They're very strong on the lead but on this occasion as I said they were off and roaming around. The two dogs attacked my fathers dog and my father tried to protect her but he was dragged to the ground twice while the owners just stood there doing nothing. My father has had a hip replacement in the past and is quite shook up over the incident. At the end all the dog's owners did was just apologise and walked away despite the fact they could have ripped apart my father's dog if it wasn't for his intervention and could have seriously hurt him. These dogs are dangerous and to think what they could do to another dog or a small kid is unthinkable. And to be honest the owners are just as bad to blame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is really very sad to hear about this unnecessary incident. I hope your father is well despite the hurt and trauma he has suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

glenjamin wrote: »
    And to be honest the owners are just as bad to blame.

To be honest the owners are totally to blame. It is their responsibility to maintain control over their dogs.
    Hope your father is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Report it to the Gardai. Dogs should be under control, and it sounds like the lads couldn't control their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

My parents went to the Guards and reported the incident. Not much they're going to be able to do as they have no real information on the people that own the dogs. Afterwards my father went to the doctors and he may well have ligament damage in his leg. He's still pretty shook up. I'd warn anybody that sees this couple and their dogs just to be careful especially if you have young children or dogs of your own, as these dogs will rips yours to shreds. The couple really don't give a **** so please be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think I have seen this couple a few times while out but only have seen one dog with them. I tend to put my dog back on the lead because their dog does look very threatening.

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear your troubles.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

I know the dogs you are talking about they live in Charlesland wood on the road that faces into court. They have attacked my dogs in the past and the same thing has happened. They just stand and watch the apologise after. There is nothing that can be done until the dogs actually harm a person. The laws don't do anything as they are too vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

According to the Department of the Environment website, the powers of dogs wardens include the power to request the name and address of a person where there are reasonable grounds for believing the person is committing, or has committed, an offence under the dog control legislation; to seize and detain any dog and to enter any premises (other than a dwelling), for the purpose of such seizure or detention. It is an offence to impede or obstruct a dog warden in carrying out his/her duties.

in addition to reporting the incident to the Gardaí, you should report it to the local dog warden, who is based in the Environmental and Fire Services Section of Wicklow County Council at 0404 20296. They may be able to offer further and better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

I've contacted the dog warden before about a dog that was jumping fences in Charlesland and came into my house where there was a baby. They just said there was nothing they could do unless the dog had injured the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Aronaay wrote: »
    I've contacted the dog warden before about a dog that was jumping fences in Charlesland and came into my house where there was a baby. They just said there was nothing they could do unless the dog had injured the baby.

They are empowered to issue an on the spot fine to an owner of a dog which is not under control. I cannot link to this at the moment but take a a look at the Citizens Information website
    Check with Council to find out their policy as they are responsible for implementation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Cerco wrote: »
    They are empowered to issue ....

But are they bothered? Or in fact do they have the capacity?

You could find they are so under resourced that they spend all their time dealing with cases of dogs that have caused harm.

Whatever, waiting till a dog has done harm isn't much comfort to someone that feels threatened or has been bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Am I missing something? The ops father was twice flung to the ground. He was attacked. The warden should surely act. The dogs caused injury to someone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

emo72 wrote: »
    Am I missing something? The ops father was twice flung to the ground. He was attacked.

IMHO it would be best to report this sort of incident to the Gardaí.
    The warden should surely act.

...and perhaps the warden already has or will.

I don't think anything good can come from this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement