Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half ironman

Options
  • 01-09-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I just bought don finks half ironman training book and am going to start the "just finish" plan. It seems very basic in the first few weeks I.e base building. I dont have muc experience in long distance running or cycling but the swim wont be a problem. Furthest run and cycle so far are 13k and 65k. I was also thinking maybe do the first 8 weeks of the just finish plan and then start the intermediate plan leading upto race. All opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I would think its more about the time you plan to be able to give to it, if you have plenty of time and are willing to train for it, why not do the Intermediate from the get go

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

catweazle wrote: »
    I would think its more about the time you plan to be able to give to it, if you have plenty of time and are willing to train for it, why not do the Intermediate from the get go

It sounded to me like the just finish thing was in order to do a segment of base work before starting the intermediate plan from day 1? I suppose its not the worst idea, if youre not used to structure it would get you into the swing of it. But there are probably better ways to plan your year of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

But there are probably better ways to plan your year of training.[/quote

such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nothing against you op just a question. :)

Do you really need a book would you not get around by just run bike swim training consistently? Perhaps do a bit of strength work over the next few months and then get more into the cardio end of things around christmas and the new year if you aim to do a half ironman during the summer?

I feel that if i have a plan I will stick to it. If I leave it up in the air I tend to make excuses or just drift mindlessly in training. Thats just me. I welcome all advice though so thanks for the suggestion. Just looking back at my previous post in reply to oryx which seemed pretty blunt and sharp. It crrtainly wasnt meant to be. Sorry oryx if it came across this way. As I said I really do welcome advice.

• Advertisement

No worries :) Any plan is better than drifting, and I used the Fink ironman plan and found it pretty good. The only problem with generic plans is that they might not target your own particular weaknesses and dont adapt to take account of how you are doing.

I also wondered about the wisdom of hopping from one schedule to another instead of going for a steady progression. Is the early plan you hope to use a big change from what you had been doing?

Yeah a big step up. I have only done a couple of sprints. I am a strong swimmer , the longer the better, but need to seriously work on bike and run. Im never going to be competitive (only with myself) but would really like to push myself out of my comfort zone. I have real admiration for anyone who puts their head down and gets something done. I have tended to just drift through life and feel now is time to really challenge myself. Jesus I should be on oprah after all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

I haven't used Fink's plan but I did follow an online plan for my 1st (& only - so far!) Ironman and found it really beneficial. It gave a solid structure and was something to be accountable to. It took a lot of the guess work out of it and instead of wasting time planning my training I could just train. I'd definatley recommend it for your first.

trainerman wrote: »
    I haven't used Fink's plan but I did follow an online plan for my 1st (& only - so far!) Ironman and found it really beneficial. It gave a solid structure and was something to be accountable to. It took a lot of the guess work out of it and instead of wasting time planning my training I could just train. I'd definatley recommend it for your first.

Have you a link to that programme.

Also op have you a link to that book I'll take a look might give me some focus.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0762792930/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409689786&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Its not a big book but is written in clear and concise language. I have some other tri books which I feel are quite hard to follow but this was a pleasure to read.

• Advertisement

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0762792930/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1409689786&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Its not a big book but is written in clear and concise language. I have some other tri books which I feel are quite hard to follow but this was a pleasure to read.

Clear and concise sounds good. What half have you got in mind? Dublin? if it ever happens ;)

It might not be an "ironman" . Have a couple of 70.3 's in mind . It will have to be an irish one as cant see me getting time off to go abroad to do one . Im self employed and with the downturn no extra staff so while I have no prob taking a day here and there extended time off is a problem.
    Any one got any suggestions on which race to do. Maybe one where the cycle is all downhill and with a flat run.
    Which race would be classed as the "easiest" in ireland.

Athy double oly would suit you. Easy enough bike and a flat run but a 3k swim. Not a half iron tho, but close. I've not done any others here but we dont live in a flat country so youll have to learn to tackle hills at some stage :)

I love hills..... when im going down them. Where I live all the roads out of it have a fairly steep climb within 5k so I will get plenty of practice. I did have a look at double oly might be the one to do this year and follow with half next year. Thanks for all the advice. Its great encouragement to know people are so willing to help.

I like the sound of your course I bet more than a few would sign up with that design.

I'm gonna give The outlaw 70.3 a go, it looks to be a good atmosphere and pretty much flat everywhere possibly a little boring but a nice entry into the big bad world of long distance.

Not sure of the logistics yet but sure may as well get the training done first :)

Do the middle distance races sell out quick . Would you want to decide now which race for next year or do I have a little time to look into courses more.

Well the outlaw half sold out the VIP slots in around 8hours the full sold out it's VIP entries today and are releasing the last 350 general entries in the morning.

I don't think Athy double only will sellout quickly if at all.

The bigger branded IM and challenge events will sell out quickly some in a few mins.

More experienced lads will know more but I think most are planning next years races now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Do the middle distance races sell out quick . Would you want to decide now which race for next year or do I have a little time to look into courses more.

Depends what you're doing really! I'm looking at Challenge Weymouth half as my first for next year (Dorset is pretty, it's only around two and a half hours drive from London and with a May wedding racing right at the end of the season suits) and this year's race is still open with 11 days to go. The new Staffordshire IM70.3 sold out completely from the people who had registered interest, and pretty much anything branded or with a good reputation goes quickly.

when i have you attention i was also wondering about long winter rides.
    what do you do when its lashing down and youre meant to do a 3 or 4 hour ride. do you use the turbo or brave the elements. i know ill be told to htfu and brave the elements. to be quite honest i think id prefer to get soaked to the bo***cks than spend that long on a turbo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what do you do when its lashing down and youre meant to do a 3 or 4 hour ride. do you use the turbo or brave the elements. i know ill be told to htfu and brave the elements. to be quite honest i think id prefer to get soaked to the bo***cks than spend that long on a turbo.

get the ride done. indoors on the trainer if you have to and can stomach that long on the trainer, outside if you can't. i did a lot of long trainer rides last winter due to the weather. didn't bother me they weren't outside, workout was just as good if you do it right. a lot of the crew who tell you to htfu don;t always get out in all the wet weather either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If you dont like turbo then get the ride done outside. Only occasion you cant is if it is icy - it's never worth risking a cycle if icy.

I mixed it up last year - if it was frosty or the kids meant I needed to be at home, I did plenty of 3 hours turbos. You can get real time videos for some races, or get yourself some boxsets/music, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Last year I stopped going outside as much for my long spins with the bad weather. Turbo isn't too bad once you are doing something on it. No point getting on and just spinning for 3 hours.

ok last question (for a while). i will be riding a road bike and woul like to get some aero bars.i saw these seriousle reduced on chain reaction cycles

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vision-trimax-team-clip-on-cosmetic-damage/rp-prod93471

or these budget ones

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vision-trimax-team-clip-on-cosmetic-damage/rp-prod93471

also when i youtubed aero bars i saw these but they are far more expensive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BkAWiMOXEE
    thanks for all the help everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ok last question (for a while). i will be riding a road bike and woul like to get some aero bars.i saw these seriousle reduced on chain reaction cycles

or these budget ones

CRC links the same

You don't need the switching ones, just get your bike set up for tri and leave it like that.

sorry these ones

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/token-alloy-aero-clip-on-bars/rp-prod38626

these get good reviews but the other ones were more expensive but are slightl scuffed. if you saw the state of me you would know slightly scuffed wouldnt bother me.

sorry these ones

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/token-alloy-aero-clip-on-bars/rp-prod38626

these get good reviews but the other ones were more expensive but are slightl scuffed. if you saw the state of me you would know slightly scuffed wouldnt bother me.

Showing as out of stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

or these budget ones

Decent set of carbon bars for sale over on the cycling forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057273785

that sorts that out

think ill buy the cheap ones than .

just thought if i bought them at the stat of training plan i could get used of getting into aero position on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Have you a link to that programme.

Also op have you a link to that book I'll take a look might give me some focus.

sorry for the slow reply - won't let me post a link but its on beginnertriathlete.com - beginner ironman training plan - found it very useful and got me through in under 12hrs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement