Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeplugs

Options

Comments

You will not neccessarily get the full 120mb using homeplugs but should still get good speeds.

The homeplug connected directly to the modem will get the full 120mb speed but then because the data has to travel to the other plug via the household electrical circuit (interference or noise on the circuit from other appliances can diminish the speed) you can expect to get anywhere between 30-60mb possibly more. As long as this does not bother you then I would recommend them. I have used Devolo Homeplugs myself for years and find them to be the best brand.

The alternative would be to get yourself a USB wi-fi adaptor which you can plug into the computer's USB port and once set up will act as the wi-fi card for that computer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Your NIC may only go up to 100Mbps and the network cables may not be good enough either, so keep that in mind. You might be better off with N wireless on the 40Hz frequency, depending on how thick your walls are etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr. G wrote: »
    Your NIC may only go up to 100Mbps and the network cables may not be good enough either, so keep that in mind. You might be better off with N wireless on the 40Hz band, depending on how thick your walls are etc.

Fixed :p

There's a 10/100Mbps Ethernet Port and built in QoS provides networking flexibility to give you stable IPTV streaming and online gaming as well.

Looks like these, like many others, have Fast Eth ports, meaning max youll get is about 90Mb through em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

If your HTPC is connected into the homeplugs it will be limited to 100Mbps as this is the NIC type that comes with these homeplugs.

Its a common (and in my opinion misleading) selling point that they advertise it as 500Mbps, these speeds can only be achieved with other suitable wireless equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Well I bought them and I'm getting about 60-70 from a 120mb line so better than I'm getting on wifi.so happy.thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ED E wrote: »
    Fixed :p

When you're posting at midnight with a few drinks come back to me and tell me how you feel! :P :D

Advertisement