Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postdated cheques

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our landlord suggested that he'd prefer us to give him postdated cheques for our rent, which is fine with us, but I've no idea how to get them! Do we need to get a proper chequebook from the bank, or can we ask the bank to issue them, or how does it work? It looks expensive to get a chequebook here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Faith wrote: »
    Our landlord suggested that he'd prefer us to give him postdated cheques for our rent, which is fine with us, but I've no idea how to get them! Do we need to get a proper chequebook from the bank, or can we ask the bank to issue them, or how does it work? It looks expensive to get a chequebook here!

Did you not get cheques when you opened your canadian bank account? Post dated cheques are regular cheques with a future date on them. get a chequebook from the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Post dates cheques are used a lot for rent. As COYVB said, they are just a standard cheque with a future date. A cheque book should only cost ya about $20, surprised ya didn't get one when you opened your account tho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hmm, I don't think we got one, but we gave a friends address at the time. The chequebook could have gotten sent out to them. I'll check with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Check books can be an optional extra on a checking account. Some banks charge a lot, e.g. with BMO it's over $50 (for the minimum sized book of 50 checks, or an extra $5 for 100 checks :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I've a PC financial account and the cheques are free. Granted they look like I printed them myself, but they work and I've never had any problems using them. So an account with PC might be worth looking into if your own bank is going to charge you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Go to your bank and ask the teller to print you a few cheques to tide you over until you get some ordered. Tell him or her what you need them for and then you can order some cheques online or at the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CBCB2 wrote: »
    I've a PC financial account and the cheques are free. Granted they look like I printed them myself, but they work and I've never had any problems using them. So an account with PC might be worth looking into if your own bank is going to charge you.

PC is the way to go on the banking front. No charges

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Go to your bank and ask the teller to print you a few cheques to tide you over until you get some ordered. Tell him or her what you need them for and then you can order some cheques online or at the bank.

Oh brilliant, they'll do that? That'd be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Oh brilliant, they'll do that? That'd be great!

As long as it is a chequing account you have they will do that.

Advertisement