Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance for baby.

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Is there a policy I can get just for a new born baby?

Mother and baby policies are just too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Naimless wrote: »
    Is there a policy I can get just for a new born baby?

Mother and baby policies are just too expensive.

Who are you with? Most policies allow one to add a new born free for the rest of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Naimless

Who are you with? Most policies allow one to add a new born free for the rest of the year

I've a company policy with laya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Check with them. Up to the first birthday is normally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Check with them. Up to the first birthday is normally free.

Not exactly, it's from birth to policy renewal, which could be 11 months or a few days depending, we got 361 days for one kid, born days after renewal date, but only two months for other child.

Not exactly, it's from birth to policy renewal, which could be 11 months or a few days depending, we got 361 days for one kid, born days after renewal date, but only two months for other child.

True. It depends on renewal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it depends on the company and the policy, glohealth afaik will have free kids until their third birthday; with VHI we got a total of 4 days free as baby was born 4 days before renewal (still cranky at child for coming early :p) they wouldnt budge on it either, we had to fork out for a new p olicy for baby. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Our comp was with VHI and now Laya, both insure for free up to policy renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Get the baby listed on the policy asap, if you don't do it within a few weeks of birth you will have trouble adding the child at a later date...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dottybows

Hi all, I was wondering the same thing.

I have been with VHI for a few years now mainly due to my mother pressuring me to get insurance "just in case".
    I went to my GP a few times in those years and have paid the fee (never claimed for those cos I never kept the receipt, but it was only 3-4 times in 6 years)
    Had a colonoscopy done at a private hospital a few years ago too, but VHI only covered 60% which meant I still had to pay about 300€. I thought it was free because I had Insurance, but that wasnt the case. If I had gone publicly I wouldn't have had to pay a cent. Probably would've had to wait a while, but not pay.
    Had a baby a few months ago and went public because semi private or private I still would've had to pay lots of money for essentially the same treatment. I was hospitalized for a week during my pregnancy and still didn't have to pay a cent.
    Now Im wondering if health insurance is really needed at all.
    My policy is up for renewal next week and I was wondering if I can have insurance for just my daughter and cancel mine? Is it worth having insurance for a baby? Not that I dont want to pay - anything for my baby girl, but is there any special treatment she would get by having insurance? All her visits and vaccinations and first 5 days in hospital in special care which was purely a precaution was all free up to date.
    For myself I'd rather pay 50€ a year for a gp visit then 1000 on health insurance when I don't need it. I'd rather save the money and have an emergency fund. Cant get a quote on the website as it asks for the number of adults and 0 is not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

Do your own research here but when we did it we came to the conclusion that health insurance for kids offers very little actual benefit compared to public system. For example there are no private children's hospitals anyway - all public. Clearly it may speed up consultant access etc but this is only part funded and not to expensive to fully fund if the need arises.

• Advertisement

Do your own research here but when we did it we came to the conclusion that health insurance for kids offers very little actual benefit compared to public system. For example there are no private children's hospitals anyway - all public. Clearly it may speed up consultant access etc but this is only part funded and not to expensive to fully fund if the need arises.

Not strictly true in my opinion. We went private for my son and he had surgery privately in both the hermitage and tallaght within a matter of a few weeks.
    Tallaght was needed as they had more advanced surgery for what was wrong.
    We were 18 months on a public list. Everything was done in 2 months privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It's all about access to the consultants and where they are based.

Advertisement