Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVS Game trade for you handy with a router?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is allowed, sorry admin if not, I'm looking to trade a game for your services.
    Anyone here handy with a router? I can trade an MVS game(I'll have to check what games I've doubles of and you can select, I know puzzle bobble for one). I'm looking to get this panel routed out for leaf buttons and sticks, I'll have the trackball hole filled in over the next day or so, also anyone who's done this before, I'd prefer to mount sticks from above but struggling to find a material strong and thin enough to put on between the panel and the cpo, any ideas?
    2luw2li.jpg
    b4jfvt.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

That looks like regular plywood? how about just drill right through with a spade bit or hole saw? as long as you drill a small pilot hole first its not really that difficult. Worked for my build anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

That looks like regular plywood? how about just drill right through with a spade bit or hole saw? as long as you drill a small pilot hole first its not really that difficult. Worked for my build anyway...

It's some sort of compressed wood similar to mdf, I've used it with my current control panel, I need the sticks routered out as the shafts won't be long enough unless they are, the leaf buttons switches are the same, need to be routed out too, like I said I'd ideally like to mount the joysticks from top to get the full length :D

like so
    4lr8ed.jpg
    332rrj4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

have you tried laminate flooring boards thin and made to be strong

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

I see what you mean now, I did something similar years ago for a friend. Now the router we had wasn't great at the time and it was tricky enough doing the large recess for the joysticks, especially when you got to near the middle as there wasn't much of the router base in contact with the wood. you are likely to have to make a jig to do this. It can be done freehand but a router will sometimes want to shoot off if you are cutting against the direction of rotation. This can cause problems as you need to be accurate . it can also be messy and you will probably have to chisel/file the cut out to get it nice and flat.

In short it can be a right old pain in the balls.

As I worked in a woodwork department at the time I was able to do it with a tabletop morticing machine. However I still reckon our plan B would have been easier, and I shall explain it to you:

lets assume the total thickness of your control panel needs to be 16mm thick, and you need to route out 6mm.

You could get a piece of ply/mdf that is 10mm thick, and another piece that is 6mm thick. these will be sandwiched together to form a 16mm thick control panel.

The 6mm Piece can have the appropriate cut outs done beforehand with a coping saw (very cheap and easy to use) before being glued/screwed to the 10mm piece.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement