Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you happy with your clubs transfer dealings

• 01-09-2014 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

So then its all done bar some late paperwork, are you "over the moon, Brian" or "did you not like that"? with both your ins and outs

Does your club have a squad which is now fit for purpose?

Are you happy with your clubs transfer dealings 125 votes

YES
    0%
    NO
    85%
    RasTaPaulwNeVeRKalelSoldieKingp35cruiserweightmayordenisjoe123joe316[Deleted User]TheDochullaballoobillymitchelljonnyfingersMonkeyTennisMars BarBig KnoxNalzBFassassin 107 votes
    MEH
    14%
    gandalfPepe LeFritsmoby2101MickerooZicohomerjay2005death1234567Moneymakerluder8-10greendomHammarOwen_SCSFtayto loverbucketybuckchrissb8Y2KBOS86 18 votes

Comments

Arsenal fan. Whether Welbeck is finalised or not I'm not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

NO
    Liverpool Fan.
    Over the moon. We will all miss suarez but I think Rodgers has signed the right players to compensate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

NO
    Very happy - Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

NO
    Chelsea... orgasmically happy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

As a Sunderland fan, meh.

An improvement on last season in some areas and not in others. The squad is thin is some key areas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Liverpool Fan.
    Over the moon. We will all miss suarez but I think Rodgers has signed the right players to compensate!

Couldn't agree more and the fact all the players bought where done fairly early in the window too made it much better .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

NO
    Manchester United fan.

PLAYERS IN:
    We've signed a central midfielder who can get around the pitch in Herrera, something we've needed for a long time. We've signed a left back in Luke Shaw who had a better season last year than the player he's replacing. We've got Radamel Falcao for a year. We bought Di Maria who I'm confident will work out whether he goes wide or through the middle. We've signed Blind who's a versatile and technically able player. I'm not keen on Rojo but at least it means 3-5-2 will be more comfortable with him there than Blackett. It's been a very good window in terms of acquisitions.

PLAYERS OUT:
    Alexander Buttner (remember him?) was sold at the start of the window and thank God for that. We got nearly £5M for a player that patently wasn't good enough and thankfully he was gone pretty soon into Van Gaal's time rather than hanging around. I'm not clear on whether Welbeck was told he could leave or pushed for the move. Pretty unhappy to lose him either way and especially to Arsenal. We've directly helped out a rival when they were really struggling. It's a shame that Kagawa was sold. I'm not pushed about the relatively low fee but it's a shame to see him go. He didn't really do it here but I was hopeful that Van Gaal might have gotten a tune out of him. However it is clear that Van Gaal didn't like what he saw. Hernandez leaves with most people's blessings, his game is too limited for him to be a starter and with less games this year he'd have barely played for us. Unhappy about Nani being loaned for a year, he's a far better winger than either Young or Valencia. I'm also annoyed enough at Cleverley still being there and Fellaini still being there. Anderson barely warrants mentioning. More trimming was needed and we shipped out three players that we could have made use out of. Business out has to be rated as poor.

OVERALL: 7/10

We've improved the first-team and bought players for positions that needed filling. The squad still needs work (cover at right back, another wide player, another central midfield player, speed in general is an issue) and I don't think our outgoing business is clever or far-reaching enough but it's more good than bad by a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Happy, but not quite perfect. If we'd gotten a backup keeper, and swapped Lucas for someone at the level if Lucas 2 years ago it would been perfect. As it is, it's still very good, particularly if the Valdes rumours play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

NO
    As a Man United fan - ecstatic.

The only area of the pitch we are probably weaker is at central defense (assuming Vidic's season gets better at Inter :) ) and the only other area we haven't improved is in goals, which is more than fine. Fullbacks, Midfield, Wide Players and amazingly up front have all been improved on.

The squad is still a bit thin on quality but we have a good view games less this season and this window had to be about fixing the first team. 9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

We've signed the black Shane long
    Back up keeper
    Sanchez
    An average right back
    A young decent utility player

Really needed a cb and a dm

Decent I guess - another 4th place trophy

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty happy tbh.

Could always be better but most positions are well covered in case of injuries with decent backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Arsenal fan...

Where to begin... Unlike many Arsenal fans I am not irate, dejected or furious about our Summer dealings. More bemused by it all. It's the same old story and I don't think we've improved that much and have once again failed to address the key areas that have needed to addressed for some time: striker, defensive midfielder and central defender. I'm hopeful of Sanchez delivering but what's his best position? I'm not convinced by him just yet but he needs time. Chambers is a highly promising utility defender and had played more already than many expected. Debuchy is a solid replacement for Sagna and a shrewd purchase. Ospina an upgrade on Fabianski as sub keeper. I feel neither excited or disappointed with the deadline day signing of Welbeck. A lot of Utd fans seem disappointed he has left and he has the tools to do well if given the opportunity. Undoubtedly, he's better than our current main striker, sigh, Sanogo.

I love Wenger but his attitude to transfers is utterly mind boggling at times. I'm disappointed we didn't replace Vermaelen and we are always an injury or two away from a crisis. All our rivals have strengthened significantly and I don't think we have. Very disappointing to not secure at least one of Khedira, bender, schneiderlein, carvalho, manolas, rabiot, remy having being linked with them ALL summer.

Overall 5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

MEH
    Arsenal Fan.

Overall am I happy no, because Wenger has let the transfer window go by and we still have some serious gaps in our squad. First priority we needed CB cover after Vermaelen left. The fact that no one was signed just shows that Wenger doesn't seem to have learnt from our previous injury crisis or he is just an unreasonable optimist. We also needed a DM given the age profile of Arteta and Flamini especially after the spankings we got last year but that hasn't been addressed either.

Now thats the negativity done with. I am happy with the players we have signed. Alexis looks like a high energy superstar and I am delighted he has signed for us. He is going to torment teams this year :) Chambers was a surprise but he has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. He could be an absolute super star for us. With Debuchy we finally have a full back that can put a good cross in, he is going to get booked more but I really like his attitude. With Ospina we have an International class goalie as backup which is great and a good replacement for Fabianski who was excellent for us last season when he was called upon. Welbeck would not have been my first choice for a striker but he has a lot of potential and if he grasps his opportunity he could be established as the first choice by the time Giroud has recovered. Sure he's not a Cavani (who I really wanted us to get) but he is an experienced premiership player.

6/10

My main frustration is that we are now in a interlull and can't see any of these new signings play until the feckin 13th of September FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NO
    Liverpool - a solid 8/10 window and the best summer since God knows when (LFC seems to buy better in January for some reason).

Getting over Suarez was always going to be hard but I reckon the broader range of attacking options allied to Sterling's development will be good enough. The only area that disappointed was no killer signing for DM and signing Manquillo on loan as he already looks like a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

NO
    Hull City fan...

Very happy with our business in this window. Dawson, Ben Arfa, Hernandez, Diame... Very good signings for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

NO
    Arsenal fan,

Overall I’m 5.5/10 so that puts me into the happy camp, but I can’t say that I’m overjoyed. We’ve done great getting Sanchez, we’ve replaced Fabianski well with Ospina, Chambers looks like a fantastic signing, and Debuchy has settled so well that nobody misses sagna as he warms himself on City’s bench.
    We’ve gotten rid of the burden that is bendtner, and we’ve added to our young british core with Danny Welbeck. Hopefully he can improve his meagre goal tally.
    However the glaring deficiencies in the squad have not been addressed. Again. Defensive, Commanding midfielder and Centre Half. We’ve 6 senior defenders. And a horrific injury record – we’re going to be left short in defence at some stage over the season and it will hurt us.
    It’s negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

NO
    It's hard not to be happy with 2 world class talents in Falcao and Di Maria, especially when you are hearing all Summer long that no world class players will be interested in United without CL football :pac:

Maybe the big money signings should have been in other areas, maybe they tried for them too for all we know but that's a scary amount of attacking prowess on show. When all fit and ready to go, the first 11 is looking a lot better than it has been in the first few games so yeah, I suppose I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

NO
    8/10 as a Liverpool fan.

We strengthened the areas we needed to strengthen while acquiring some really good players to change things around when we need to. The biggest signing for me is Mario. A gamble while not a bank breaking one it has to be said but I reckon we might actually get the best out of him and the results could pay dividends for Liverpool's season. I just hope we can get a regular two week in week out as centre halves that can start keeping clean sheets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

MEH
    I'd swap everyone we've signed in the last TWO years for Hummels and Vidal.... I'd have to insist someone take Anderson and Cleverley too though, that bit is deal breaker.

Falcao for Welbeck and Chicharito was great business when you consider what other teams who actually needed a striker ended up with.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MEH
    Didn't properly address the obvious problem with the team, everything else is just window dressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

NO
    Everton

Very much improved up front with Eto'o and Lukaku. I feel the price we paid for Lukaku was a bit too steep but it was still the right signing to make. Still only 21.

Deulofeu is gone but I think we've replaced him well with Atsu.

Some very promising new names for the future in Galloway, Besic and Henen (Atsu too but we probably won't be able to keep him).

I'd also be hopeful of seeing some academy players emerge to the first team towards the end of the season - names that I think lots will become familiar with (John Ludstram, George Green, Henen himself and possibly Ryan Ledson)

But we have an aging defense. Baines, Jagielka, Alcaraz, Howard and especially Distin are all getting on now and it's an area where there should have been some focus this window and it needs to be the first priority over the next 12 months. Also might need an attacking midfielder - depending on how some of those academy players get on.

Very happy overall.

8/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Villa fan

3/10 on the amount we actually had to spend
    9/10 on the way we spent it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal fan here. Happy with the replacements we got in. Still think we are one experienced body short at the back. Pined for a Dm and still havent got one. Wanted a striker of higher caliber to Welbeck but he can do a job, dont see him as a starter when everyone is fit. Disappointing overall tbh after a great start. Thought this year was the year we would push on and address our needs to mount a challenge. Looks like we will be battling for the top 4 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

NO
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

MEH
    Newcastle fan. Disgusted.

Wont matter who we sign as long as P45due remains in the dugout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Newcastle fan. Disgusted.

Wont matter who we sign as long as P45due remains in the dugout.

Really? Some interesting signings there I thought? Looked very good against City from what I seen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

NO
    Leeds

Happy we signed 15 players. Just have to wait and see if they are any good. Adryan sounds like a great signing, hope the hype matches the players actual ability.

new-arrivals-2014_1bft6cx1a616m1dkbxe280khf9.jpg?t=896807240&quality=70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

MEH
    Liam O wrote: »
    Really? Some interesting signings there I thought? Looked very good against City from what I seen anyway

We are light in attack and we have 3 centre halves. An aging Coloccni, a championship standard defender in Williamson....and Steven Taylor.

We don't have any proven strikers.

And worst of all, Alan P45due remains at the club.

Relegation battle ahead of us. Mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Chelsea fan. And am very happy , torres gone and finally a good striker in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

For Villa minus Joe Cole (prove me wrong please Joe) who I think is a complete waste of space I think they have done very well especially given how little they have actually spent.

Cleverly for example joining on loan (at least initially then they can decide for themselves if he is worth paying for) leaves Villa with Delph (now deservedly getting an England call up) Sanchez (Colombian international DM) and himself as a midfield trio.

Good improvement IMO especially when you consider the fact that as a result We actually now have depth in the squad with players like Westwood and the development of players like Grealish plus (although usually I'd not like this statement) the return of players like Hutton and Nzogbia has thus far been like new signings with Hutton in particular (pray he can keep it up) having gone from being a liability to being a very solid RB while cissokho has also had a great start at LB.

But perhaps most importantly Vlaar and Benteke (less likely anyway with the injury) were not sold. For a team where the owner is looking to sell up that's not bad going in my opinion

There now that all that positivity is out Villa now have the most difficult run of any prem team coming up (with 5/5 of our next fixtures against CL / Title chasers) so if these players are ever going to screw up and prove me wrong til be then

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Newcastle Fan

Got People in early but still no Proven striker...
    Were One Defensive Injury away from a Melt Down

Leave HBA and Yanga Mbwia go on deadline day due to our managers Piss Poor Abilty to manage Players , and fall out with any one who dares question hes shocking shocking Decisions.

Good signings in themselves...but with pardew Behind the wheel its hard to be happy....Absolute Twat. Wish hed got the boot over the head butt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

United fan.

Would have liked a backup RB and an experienced CB.

Midfield is looking a lot better, a central 3 of Herrera, Blind and ADM is a big step up on some of the dross we are used to.

Sad to see some of our outgoing players leave but feel it was the right time to move most of them on.

Very excited about Falcao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Chelsea fan. And am very happy , torres gone and finally a good striker in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Everton

Very much improved up front with Eto'o and Lukaku. I feel the price we paid for Lukaku was a bit too steep but it was still the right signing to make. Still only 21.

Deulofeu is gone but I think we've replaced him well with Atsu.

Some very promising new names for the future in Galloway, Besic and Henen (Atsu too but we probably won't be able to keep him).

I'd also be hopeful of seeing some academy players emerge to the first team towards the end of the season - names that I think lots will become familiar with (John Ludstram, George Green, Henen himself and possibly Ryan Ledson)

But we have an aging defense. Baines, Jagielka, Alcaraz, Howard and especially Distin are all getting on now and it's an area where there should have been some focus this window and it needs to be the first priority over the next 12 months. Also might need an attacking midfielder - depending on how some of those academy players get on.

Very happy overall.

8/10

Feel the same myself. Think we overspent on Lukaku which didn't leave much money for other areas. Badly need a younger centre half as we are a shambles at the back with Distin and Jagielka. Would have liked us to bid for Micah Richards and also feel we gave Barry too long of a contract. 3 year deal for someone who is 33 :confused:

Overall 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭chrissb8

MEH
    6/10 Useless signings. The man utd team are beginning to look hemorrhaged full of unnecessary players not needed. We didn't buy what we needed. A proper midfielder of yaya toures ilk or even viera's likeness. No real nasty uncompromising players in the utd team. I love Falcao but I would rather a balanced team. Shades of Real Madrid transfer window policies going on here. Not happy at all. Valencia, Fletcher, Young and yes even Rooney needed to go. Rooney is not utd quality anymore. What happened to the ruthless days when if you couldn't perform to the high standards you'd lose your place or be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MEH
    Liverpool fan, not happy overall. Can't be pleased with a window where Suarez was sold. Having said that, I'm mostly pleased and excited about the players brought in. Liverpool are better to watch these days than they have been in last 20 years. I'm optimistic about the season but not happy with the transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle:

Happy with the incomings but allowing players to leave on deadline day AGAIN without replacing them is hard to stomach especially as we've known we're desperately short at the back for fúcking ages yet M'biwa is allowed to go.

Ben Arfa is a hard one to take. He's been marginalised by Pardew for whatever reason despite still desperately wanting to fight for his place. He's not the be all and end all but when you have so few creative players it stings a bit.

While I like the amount of business we've done, I don't trust Pardew to get the most out of them. If anything they'll regress as have so many others.

Should've really transferred managers tbh.

For all the signings we've made, we're weaker than we were this time last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

West Ham.

Happy enough. Probably our best window in a long time. Kouyatte looks like the best of the bunch and Zarate, Valencia, Sakho, Cresswell, Song etc. are all step ups in quality of those they are replacing.

The only worry is that our central defence is still very thin. If we happen to get a few injuries there like early this year, it could be another bad few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona fan

Pretty happy particularly with the movements out as much as those in. Early league games suggest an improvement.

Advertisement