Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work ute on 457

Options
  • 02-09-2014 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

The boss is flat out and has a shortage of work trucks. He offered me rental and free diesel if I get my own truck just wondering if it's possible to set up a abn to buy the truck while I still work for the boss on 457, was told on abn you can get gst back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you are smart you can claim back nearly the whole cost of the vehicle and that's without an ABN, my employer pays me $16.5K per year plus a fuel card for my car of which I claim 85% for business use.

I get $14025 tax free and the remainder is taxed at my marginal rate of tax, all other cost for interest, insurance, rego and maintenance can also claimed.

It effect I'm only paying $1500 a year to run a car that would cost me about $18+K per year anyway, I put in a Tax withholding on $1175 per month which means I don't have to wait until July to get all the tax back.

Plus when I pay the car off I can sell it and start again.

If your boss is willing to pay you a bit extra per week and give you a fuel allowance you could claim nearly the whole thing on Tax since a ute is a commercial vehicle.

With GST you would only be getting back 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As Mandrake says, buying, running, using a commercial vehicle for work is a genuine business expense. It can be claimed as such in your tax return every year - regardless of ABN, tax file arrangements.

Advertisement