Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded PC and trouble with SSD

Options
  • 02-09-2014 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

I upgraded my mobo, RAM and CPU, everything booted up fine after putting it all back together, Windows even reconfigured itself and went straight to desktop, no reinstall required.

Now after rebooting, my SSD (where Windows 8.1 is installed) is not appearing and it looks like my other 1TB HD is the only being detected (and is asking fro grub for some reason, probably old linux stuff on there)
    So I temporarily disconnected the 1TB drive..

The SSD seems random to work and not work after rebooting, one time it gave me an error to update the CSM option but it was already Enabled so I didn't touch it, I then rebooted and it worked ok again... :confused:

BIOS is in AHCI mode if that helps, and the SSD make is a Team Combo.

I didn't install any drivers, not sure if I need them if it's (kinda) working without them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a great idea to "keep" your windows installation after upgrading to a new system. You could have got away with it by installing your new chipset drivers when you still had your old hardware. You might still get away with it if you install them now one of the times you are able to boot into windows

Even if that works, windows will probably be de-activated too

Me, I'd always do a complete install from scratch when I change major hardware

Good luck though and let us know how you're getting on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

unkel wrote: »
    Not a great idea to "keep" your windows installation after upgrading to a new system. You could have got away with it by installing your new chipset drivers when you still had your old hardware. You might still get away with it if you install them now one of the times you are able to boot into windows

Even if that works, windows will probably be de-activated too

Me, I'd always do a complete install from scratch when I change major hardware

Good luck though and let us know how you're getting on :)
    Windows works fine when the SSD is detected, it reconfigured itself and detected the new hardware without a problem, I was playing games and everything within a few mins!

I had planned to do a fresh install (and will eventually) but if it works for the moment I'm happy enough, I'll try install more drivers so, but it's odd that it's detected randomly.
    Could it be because I have both HDs on the same power cable from the PSU? That should be fine right, there's no order of which one boots first because of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nope! That master and slave lark went down with the IDE / PATA interface :)

Do check your BIOS though, depending on your motherboards, there is likely to be an order of HDD to boot from (possibly depending on the SATA motherboard you are using for each HDD)

Advertisement