Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop, it's criminal what they get away with

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Perhaps someone should set up a business where they offer ~e2 more than what gamestop offer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

cookie24 wrote: »
    Perhaps someone should set up a business where they offer ~e2 more than what gamestop offer
    I' m sure once you go through the business plan and work out the money involved you'd probably find dealing in second hand games just isn't a market that's going to turn much of a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

ScumLord wrote: »
    I' m sure once you go through the business plan and work out the money involved you'd probably find dealing in second hand games just isn't a market that's going to turn much of a profit.

Im sure some games dont resell well. You would end up with loads of the same crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hotman wrote: »
    ...someone had literally just mugged me...
    ...literally criminal?...
    ...it's literally a crime in my eyes...
    ...They literally take it in, look at it, sticker it, and sell it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I called them as I wanted to trade in my xbox one and fifa for a ps4

they said I would have to pay 140 euro + the xbox 1 + fifa for the ps4 alone.

Keeping in mind the ps4 is 399.99

basically what they are telling me that fifa and the xbox one together are worth 259.99

suck my left one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Trading in games is like buying food in an airport.

You accept their terms because you wanted cash then bitch about it when they provide that facility to you.

You had games you no longer wanted and they have you money for them, what's wrong with that.

If you think they are wrong then DO NOT TRADE IN GAMES WITH gamestop. Very, very, very simple solution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

ghogie91 wrote: »

basically what they are telling me that fifa and the xbox one together are worth 259.99

suck my left one

Well if you think the xbox one - minus kinect is only €400 now, so they sell the thing for €350. In which case, your getting more than 50% back for the console, new FIFA is out this week or next week? I'm not sure, so old FIFA is pretty much worthless now. So not bad I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Was it Fifa 15? No?
    Well it's practically worthless so then :pac:
    I'm using my previous copies of football games 2010-2013 as placemats

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I have no issues with the OP calling robbery over those prices, I think it is too. Sure you dont have to sell them but equally you are still entitled to say its robbery :P

mmm no, it is VERY profitable. There is a reason why Gamestop recently have had to work extremely closely with Publishing houses to make sure to get exclusive and to slow down the recent addition of "online token" and such, things that could lead to second hand market collapsing. GS make tons of money (over 9 Billions in 2013) and its in large part with the Second hand sales.

A quick google would have showed you this also:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/us-gamestop-results-idUSBREA4L14D20140522

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

suck my left one

How old is the xbox and is it under warranty? I wouldnt buy a second hand one unless it was very cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

ZeRoY wrote: »
    I have no issues with the OP calling robbery over those prices, I think it is too. Sure you dont have to sell them but equally you are still entitled to say its robbery :P

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/us-gamestop-results-idUSBREA4L14D20140522

I mean you are entitled to say whatever you want. You could say the games were frying pans but it wouldn't make it true!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Potatoeman wrote: »
    How old is the xbox and is it under warranty? I wouldnt buy a second hand one unless it was very cheap.

The xbone as a console is less than a year old.....It launched in November so of course it's still under warranty. :p

Besides, that doesn't count with second hand goods. Your warranty is then with the retailer and not the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

The xbox was bought in December so its still reletively new.

Obviously the new Fifa is coming out but I got that quote about 2 months ago before mention of fifa 15.

It also has the kinect with it that came when purchased.

They were doing a deal that if you handed in your PS3 that you could get the ps4 for 280 at one stage as far as I can remember.

They again in saying all that, I would rather only have to pay 140 for the ps4 rather than have to pay 399 hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

They again in saying all that, I would rather only have to pay 140 for the ps4 rather than have to pay 399 hahahaha

This is true, and at least now you know that the X-Box one wasn't for you, also the PS4 in Gamestop now comes FREE with Destiny, so lucky you, a free game worth €75 also throw into the mix

http://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%204/Games/46422/playstation-4-console-destiny-bundle-gamestop-exlusive?previousUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamestop.ie%2FSearchResult%2FQuickSearchHeaderPlatform%3Fplatform%3D31%26rootGenre%3D27

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Dia1988 wrote: »

Gamestop must also scan the game disk for viruses,

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

deink wrote: »
    I was offered 20 cent by them when I went to sell Fifa 12 a couple of week after the new one had come out ... crazy

How is it crazy? How many people will buy FIFA games that are last year's? I don't play the game but if I'm correct the teams are updated on the newer ones since old teams from player sales etc happen during the development so it's essentially useless. They sell those for a few euro anyway once a new one is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's it unfortunate that you can't regain a decent bit of cash when selling back games to Gamestop? Yes.
    Is it criminal? Not remotely.
    They're not "getting away" with anything either. You're offering them goods, they're offering you cash in return. As was already pointed out, CEX would have offered a better return. If you can't access a CEX; well that again is unfortunate, but it doesn't make Gamestop any more criminal.

Selling your old games directly to a new user is the best way to ensure you get a "fair" return.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Sure you dont have to sell them but equally you are still entitled to say its robbery :P

Actually, you're not. You're defaming the company by suggesting they have committed a crime. Since we're talking entitlements, I thought there's no harm in injecting some actual fact into the conversation along with all that conjecture. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Shiminay wrote: »
    Actually, you're not. You're defaming the company by suggesting they have committed a crime. Since we're talking entitlements, I thought there's no harm in injecting some actual fact into the conversation along with all that conjecture. :p

Even if he is literally being robbed by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sniipe wrote: »
    Even if he is literally being robbed by them?
    Literally now means "a little bit like".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dermighty wrote: »
    Trading in games is like buying food in an airport.

You accept their terms because you wanted cash then bitch about it when they provide that facility to you.

€4.49 meal deal in Boots FTW!!!

(sorry for straying off-topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If you went on adverts and put that ad right now, you'd probably have a swap for a PS4 by the end of the day, and no cash involved. I mean I'm not a fan of gamestop, but there is validity in the point that no one is forced to shop there. I don't, and I save money by doing so. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Literally now means "a little bit like".
    I love "The Oatmeal" for providing responses to people misusing words or phrases.
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Hotman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In break news today, videogame stores need to make a profit to survive.

A completely unreasonable bunch of people.
    As noone HAS to pay these prices or accept them.

If one of your kids wanted the new Pokemon game or something.
    And they had 5 games you'd paid 60 quid each for. Would you mind letting them trade probably all 5 of them just to be able to afford 1 new one?

Actually i give up. Please lock the thread, i clearly misjudged the type of readers were in here. You guys are obviouysly all rich and paying 55 quid for a pre-owned game thats been out for the last 7 months seems to be just pocket change for you.

Cheers Ponces.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Hotman

It's it unfortunate that you can't regain a decent bit of cash when selling back games to Gamestop? Yes.
    Is it criminal? Not remotely.
    They're not "getting away" with anything either. You're offering them goods, they're offering you cash in return. As was already pointed out, CEX would have offered a better return. If you can't access a CEX; well that again is unfortunate, but it doesn't make Gamestop any more criminal.

Selling your old games directly to a new user is the best way to ensure you get a "fair" return.

So if gamestop gave you back 1 euro for your games, it'd still be fine?
    thats it, now im definitely done with ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

A completely unreasonable bunch of people.
    As noone HAS to pay these prices or accept them.

If one of your kids wanted the new Pokemon game or something.
    And they had 5 games you'd paid 60 quid each for. Would you mind letting them trade probably all 5 of them just to be able to afford 1 new one?

Actually i give up. Please lock the thread, i clearly misjudged the type of readers were in here. You guys are obviouysly all rich and paying 55 quid for a pre-owned game thats been out for the last 7 months seems to be just pocket change for you.

Cheers Ponces.

If you had actually read the responses you would have well learned that most of us would not spend that much money on a pre owned game and a lot of us have given you alternate routes to get cheaper games.

However the problem was not how much we are willing to pay for the games anyway it was how much you were willing to accept for them and then got annoyed that they try to make a profit after paying all their bills and taking stock into account.

No need for the personal attack on us by calling us ponses by the way just because you are angered over something unreasonable to you.
    So if gamestop gave you back 1 euro for your games, it'd still be fine?
    thats it, now im definitely done with ireland.

Again it is only reasonable if deemed so by the seller, you accepted the prices they gave you. It was reasonable to you at the time or you would not have. Getting one euro per game would not be reasonable to most people and they would simply not trade the games in as there is no one holding a gun to their head during the transaction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think this thread has reached its inevitable conclusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement