Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Results

Options
  • 02-09-2014 2:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

I haven't a clue here but I was wondering what kind of results other UCC English students were receiving? What would be considered to be an average result and do they ever give more than 75% in exams/essays? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Third year student here. Usually people will either get a 2.2 or a 2.1, it is really up to the individual student, take a look at the undergraduate handbook and see what you need to do to get these grades. Type 'UCC English' into google, go into the link which says 'current students', go into the second year link which says 'second year handbook', scroll to page 42 this page is about how they mark essays and what each grade e.g. 2.2., 2.1., 1.1 etc is.

A 1.1. is one of the highest grades which you can get thus not many students get them but it happens. A 1.1. is 70% or above.

Let's just say that 75% is no easy feat, it's an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

75% is a very high grade in English, it certainly does not come easy!

Most people will get a 2.1 if they put in a bit of work. The staff in the English department are great if you ever have any questions about ways to improve your grades. They are very approachable and in my experience are excellent at replying promptly to emails.

I just finished final year and will graduate in October with a first class honours degree, 50 credits in English and 10 credits in Psychology. I worked my ass off all year to keep my grades high and spent the whole of study month in the library, researching my topics and putting together good arguments.

You haven't mentioned what kind of grades you have been getting, but if you are one of those people who is hovering around the 67% - 69% mark and cannot quite make it over the 70% hurdle, definitely meet with one of your favourite lecturers and discuss ways you can improve your essay and exam technique. It can't hurt. :)

No, I have done well and have managed to get 75% at most. I just wondered as to what other students got or what kind of standard was expected. Well done on your degree! I think my other subject was marked harder. I don't know who you were approaching but I only found one of them to be nice to me. That is the actual lecturers, not the other staff. And I've emailed lecturers and got no response or blunt replies. As said, one or two were alright.

You are well above average so, well done! :)

I found with psychology that I couldn't compete with the students doing the straight psychology course, so there was no way I could ever get more than a 2.1 in it. I was ok with that though because I more than made up for it with English. Get the most out of your strengths and slog hard in the library at what you perceive to be your weaknesses and it all comes up good in my experience!

• Advertisement

I just edited my reply.

eternal wrote: »
    I just edited my reply.

There are a few lecturers I have not had because I didn't take their courses, but I have never had any issues with contacting any of the teaching staff or getting swift replies from them. I've even had lecturers reply to my emails over the weekend, even though they're off the clock which I find impressive. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience though!

I find that to be strange to be honest. They should treat everyone the same. Thanks for your replies though, you've been very helpful and to the other poster too
    Sorry I am editing again. Is it possible to get over 75% in your experience or other people you might have spoken to.

I am obviously a maniac because I keep asking questions here but can anyone tell me if they apply for post grad themselves or are they advised to by anyone. I really am a at a loss here with college for the future and I do appreciate any feedback. I feel like floundering in the whole idea of it all. Thanks in advance.

I got 80% once in an assignment, a number I had not seen since secondary school, but other than that I got 75% a few times and anything from 68% to 74% every other time. From what I've heard, very few get anything above 70% so I imagine over 75% there would be only a couple, and they would likely be the top of the class.

In terms of postgrads, I was advised by two of my lecturers on what I should pursue. They are my favourite lecturers teaching my favourite areas of literature though, and I engaged with them frequently because I took all their courses and seminars. They knew where my interests were and I had excellent grades in their modules so they were really trying to persuade me to take a particular course. That course is not going ahead unfortunately but I've been convinced to do a Masters through Research instead haha :p

If you want advice on a postgrad outside of the English department or the department of your other subject, make an appointment with the careers office. They'll have all the information you need!

I know how you feel in terms of being a bit lost as to what to do with the future. I don't know what I'll do after this masters. A big reason I'm doing it is because I managed to get a scholarship so I get to do it for free, but I'm highly unlikely to get a career out of English unless I'm really lucky unfortunately. :( Just trying to focus on enjoying the next year of study because it really is my niche in English literature, and re-evaluate after that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mkeryan

Hi all. I'm starting in September as a UCC Arts Mature Student. I'm looking at English as one of my subjects. From what I can see in documentation, the main required texts is Norton Anthology. Do I need to buy a copy? Any suggestions as to the best way of getting one?

Advertisement