Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Football Final Jerseys

• 02-09-2014 4:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

just a quick question, will both teams be wearing their away colors i.e Donegal in white and Kerry in blue as there is a color clash, or will one team adopt their away jersey while the other stays with their home one?
    i know in the quarter final 2 years ago both changed, i was just wondering as i was gonna buy a jersey off the O'Neills website, i seen how the have made special 2014 all ireland final ones for both Killkenny and Tipperary

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No need to change, jerseys are in no way simular really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Both teams will wear their away kits. I seen that reported somewhere yesterday but cant remember the source. I dont know about the special "final" jerseys. They might only make those commemorative kits in the home colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

Kerry will be wearing green and gold, confirmed on twitter by kerry gaa official so I presume donegal will be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Neither county will change, confirmed by official sources in both Donegal and Kerry.

Back in 2012 there was a lot more green in the Donegal 'home' jersey and so maybe it was more of a clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

the have made special 2014 all ireland final ones for both Killkenny and Tipperary

Meh, they don't seem that special, they just say '2014 All Ireland hurling final' or whatever beneath the crest. If your team loses it you will never want to wear it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

Both teams have to change if they are too similar

RULE 4 - EQUIPMENT
    (i)
    Club teams shall wear their registered
    distinctive colours in inter-club competitions.
    Where there is a similarity of colours, the teams
    shall change to their alternative registered
    colour(s), approved by the County Committee.
    (ii)
    County teams shall wear their registered
    distinctive colours in Inter-County
    competitions.
    Where there is similarity of colours, the two
    counties shall wear their registered alternative
    colour(s) or other colours authorised or
    directed by the Committee in Charge.
    (iii)
    In all games, the goalkeeper shall wear a jersey
    which is distinctive from his own team’s
    and the opposing team’s colours.

NEITHER team is changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Lads, if Tipperary and Clare can play each other without wearing alternate kits, there's hardly much reason for it between Donegal and Kerry, particularly with the way that the Donegal jersey has gone in terms of the amount of green in it:

McGrath_Shane_jokes_vClare2013.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There is too much gold in Kerry's jersey and a change should be made by both teams in my opinion.

• Advertisement

There is too much gold in Kerry's jersey and a change should be made by both teams in my opinion.

Well the GAA would seem to disagree with that opinion, and have put an end to any speculation at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If it wasn't the final, the teams would have to change like last time to make it easier to watch ?

If it wasn't the final, the teams would have to change like last time to make it easier to watch ?

I doubt it, since the Donegal jersey is much further removed from the Kerry one now than it was in 2012. It has gone from this:
    1007590.jpg

to this:
    donegallll.jpg
    i.e. to no green on the body as such, and being confined to just the trim/sleeve stripes. Factor in as well that the gold on the Kerry jersey only being a stripe across the middle, and it becomes akin to my Tipp/Clare post above:
    kerry_home_jersey_2012_1_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I have a feeling that Sam McGuire will be going back to the Hills of Donegal

No need to change, jerseys are in no way simular really.

Ah they will now. Too much of the same colour. Would be far better to make them change in order to eliminate confusion. It is ironic that Donegal actually used to wear the same design as Kerry pre-1992. They changed against Mayo and kept that design thereafter

At the moment they dont wear the same colour tops but there is a fairly even amount of green and yellow on both kits.

Actually to be fair im not so sure the 2014 Donegal jersey has anything like the amount of green they had on the 2012 jersey. They might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

An examination of the colour-clash here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

An examination of the colour-clash here

I don't get why he reckons togs should be changed also. If a player is on his knees in a ruck situation and spots shorts normally worn by his team he can get rid of the ball in that direction. Kerry have always worn white togs, Donegal used to wear white but have worn green for as long as current players have been around.
    I think this is a good decision to let the regular kits stand and don't see the issue.

It was me who did that, my reasoning with the shorts is that Donegal's green is the main thing causing the clash so if you remove that then it almost totally alleviates any confusion. Kerry wore green shorts in 81 final and it didn't do them any harm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

It was me who did that, my reasoning with the shorts is that Donegal's green is the main thing causing the clash so if you remove that then it almost totally alleviates any confusion. Kerry wore green shorts in 81 final and it didn't do them any harm!

Didn't realise it was you who wrote it. I see where you're coming from but I don't think there is any need for a change. Look at Tipp v Clare. Exact same colours on jerseys and same togs, a lot worse of a clash than Kerry v Donegal and they never change kits..
    Remember the Kerry 81 kit well..A classic! Think that team could have worn togas and still won All Irelands to be fair though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My Kingdom for a Kerry '81 jersey!

Didn't realise it was you who wrote it. I see where you're coming from but I don't think there is any need for a change. Look at Tipp v Clare. Exact same colours on jerseys and same togs, a lot worse of a clash than Kerry v Donegal and they never change kits..
    Remember the Kerry 81 kit well..A classic! Think that team could have worn togas and still won All Irelands to be fair though!

Difference between Clare and Tipp is that Clare are predominantly yellow whereas we are predominantly blue. They wear Blue shorts and we wear white. Only the socks clash really.

Think we might be alright this time though. The difference between Donegal in 2012 and the present day that there was a great deal of green on that 2012 top.

In one way it could remove all of the of ambiguity if there was 100% contrast between Kerry and Donegal or teams in general but in another way i hope the GAA never go down the road of the kit police at FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Surely they'll both wear away jerseys.

Eliminates any possibility of a clash and any possible quibbles over who gets to wear their home jersey.

stretchdoe wrote: »

Eliminates any possibility of a clash and any possible quibbles over who gets to wear their home jersey.

Would probably be the safest option at the end of the day. That said though i dont think there will be much difficulty in distinguishing the two if they both wear the same type. Could Donegal perhaps opt to wear the Ulster colours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There is no need for a change of kits in this instance at all. I have no notion how this thread has gotten to 2 pages as a result.

They won't.

See the previous page, a poster helpfully posted the rules. There are no quibbles, the rules say that both teams change if there's a clash.

Could Donegal perhaps opt to wear the Ulster colours?

What, change from gold, to, gold?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    What, change from gold, to, gold?

The difference being that Ulster wear Black shorts. Donegal have been known to do this in the past. In 2002 they changed to face Meath

INPHO_00073763.jpg

• Advertisement

The difference being that Ulster wear Black shorts. Donegal have been known to do this in the past. In 2002 they changed to face Meath

Yes, and in 1990, when Meath changed to Leinster kit. The Donegal kit of 2002 had a lot of green in it, I am guess that's why there was a change. Whether the Ulster colours were registered or this is the kit they were directed to wear, who knows. These days, the white kit is registered and used as a marketing tool, it's widely available to buy.

And Meath changed from green to green that day!

And Meath changed from green to green that day!

Yeah, mad. But those are the rules.

Most ridiculous siutation I ever saw was the Donegal senior team wearing the Roscommon blue jersey for a league game. I always assumed it was because Donegal didn't bring their change kit and Roscommon refused to change. But maybe we didn't bring any kit at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

can't one team wear an all green shirt with yellow shorts and sock and the other team wear an all yellow shirt with green shorts and socks

Yeah, mad. But those are the rules.

Most ridiculous siutation I ever saw was the Donegal senior team wearing the Roscommon blue jersey for a league game. I always assumed it was because Donegal didn't bring their change kit and Roscommon refused to change. But maybe we didn't bring any kit at all...

That was 2002, I think. AFAIK Donegal forgot to bring a change but if that was the case then surely Roscommon could just have worn blue as the home side often changes in the league anyway. Might just be as you say that Donegal had no jerseys

That was 2002, I think. AFAIK Donegal forgot to bring a change but if that was the case then surely Roscommon could just have worn blue as the home side often changes in the league anyway. Might just be as you say that Donegal had no jerseys

INPHO_00065852.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

INPHO_00065852.jpg

John Hanley, great player for the Ros.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

They won't.

See the previous page, a poster helpfully posted the rules. There are no quibbles, the rules say that both teams change if there's a clash.

There is a clash if they both wear home jerseys; if you even have to debate how much v how little of a clash there is then there is a clash.

If they both wear away jerseys then there's no clash; there's a nice, clean contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not much of a clash actually when stood side by side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not much of a clash actually when stood side by side

Seriously, can anybody actually explain how those clash?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

They don't directly clash but when the two colours are so prominent on each kit there is the possibility of confusion in a big ruck of players or seeing what you think is a team-mate in your peripheral vision.

For example, West Ham went to Man City in the Capital One Cup in January and wore white shirts with sky-blue shorts and socks, the exact opposite of City, and a lot of TV viewers were complaining on Twitter about it. I think that there is sufficient differentiation - far more than seven years ago as in the pic below - but I can see some logic in calling for a complete contrast.

241401.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Imagine Donegal still wore their pre-92 green shirts... Imagine they're playing Kerry now in an All-Ireland final and as both teams wearing green then Donegal opt to wear a Yellow shirt instead... Imagine at that stage there is no clash and people just let it go...

Incidentally how we are allowed play Laois in our blue shirts all the time (especially this year) I dunno.

Imagine Donegal still wore their pre-92 green shirts... Imagine they're playing Kerry now in an All-Ireland final and as both teams wearing green then Donegal opt to wear a Yellow shirt instead... Imagine at that stage there is no clash and people just let it go...

This actually happened the first time Donegal wore gold shirts with green shorts - a challenge game against Kerry in Croke Park in 1963!

They don't directly clash but when the two colours are so prominent on each kit there is the possibility of confusion in a big ruck of players or seeing what you think is a team-mate in your peripheral vision.

For example, West Ham went to Man City in the Capital One Cup in January and wore white shirts with sky-blue shorts and socks, the exact opposite of City, and a lot of TV viewers were complaining on Twitter about it. I think that there is sufficient differentiation - far more than seven years ago as in the pic below - but I can see some logic in calling for a complete contrast.

Is Green as prevalent on this years top though Denis to be fair? Granted the shorts could cause an issue but comparing the 2012 Azzurri edition to the current O'Neills one i think there is considerably less green on the latest shirt. Also worth noting that Kerry wear a darker shade of green.

Also given that the Donegal socks are now solid green whereas they were yellow in 2012 would ensure that they don't clash as much with Kerry's hooped socks this time around.

H2012.jpgH2014.jpg

Incidentally how we are allowed play Laois in our blue shirts all the time (especially this year) I dunno.

Fair point i suppose, although id imagine if Donegal were made to change for this fixture today they would probably revert to the yellow and black of ulster (if we were to picture a scenario where the yellow and green combo never existed and the green with gold band remained their first choice).

Donegal had worn the Ulster colours on two occasions previous when they met Meath (1990 and 2002)

On the Dublin issue, i cant understand why the central headquarters made them change when they met Cavan in the u21 semi this year and yet never made them change when they met both Laois (football) and ourselves (hurling). Although admittedly our change shirt is navy which could have caused a further issue

I think the current Dublin jersey clashes with Royal blue to be honest and there should be a change

Advertisement