Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish Airlines : Dublin - Istanbul

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am flying to Japan in October with Turkish airlines and the first leg is Dublin to Istanbul Ataturk airport.

I checked on SeatGuru to see what kind of in-flight entertainment to expect and it says there is shared overhead monitors and no seat back screens. It's a 4.5 hour flight so no big deal really but I want to know do they actually show films or not?

Has anyone flown that route recently that can provide any in-sight into what set-up to expect.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Hi, flew with T.A Dublin - Istanbul in May/June. They had all individual screens built into the headrest in front of you, and a decent choice of entertainment. Tv Series, discovery documentaries, movies, games, etc. The headphones have two prongs and clip into the armrest too. Found the food decent too and think Turkish Airlines are decent to fly with, always found them helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Hi, flew with T.A Dublin - Istanbul in May/June. They had all individual screens built into the headrest in front of you, and a decent choice of entertainment. Tv Series, discovery documentaries, movies, games, etc. The headphones have two prongs and clip into the armrest too. Found the food decent too and think Turkish Airlines are decent to fly with, always found them helpful.

That's great! Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

They're offering very competitive prices in both business and economy lately, I think they won a best European airlines award recently enough. I'm tempted to try them for my next trip to Asia.

They're offering very competitive prices in both business and economy lately, I think they won a best European airlines award recently enough. I'm tempted to try them for my next trip to Asia.

I got open-jaw flights from Dublin into Tokyo and back from Seoul for about €680 which I thought was pretty great. The only downside is the route via Istanbul is a few hours longer than if you go BA, KLM, Air France or SAS and their hub airports but I get to get a glimpse of Istanbul with my layover so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Their economy class is very good and their business class is excellent. The new lounge in Istanbul is top class. They're taking on Etihad and Emirates with their hub at Istanbul and they compare very favourably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Fares were very competitive when we went to Africa last year. The only issue I had with them was the heat in the economy section was killing on all the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Their economy class is very good and their business class is excellent. The new lounge in Istanbul is top class. They're taking on Etihad and Emirates with their hub at Istanbul and they compare very favourably.

Thanks, I have been thinking Etihad's business was getting a bit dated although the lounge in Dublin is nice, I wasn't sure if it was a regular flight to Istanbul and then you get the proper business from Istanbul but if it's all the way then at about 1700 to SE Asia it's a great price.

Thanks, I have been thinking Etihad's business was getting a bit dated although the lounge in Dublin is nice, I wasn't sure if it was a regular flight to Istanbul and then you get the proper business from Istanbul but if it's all the way then at about 1700 to SE Asia it's a great price.

Business from Dublin to Istanbul is very, very good. Great seats and excellent service. You're stuck with the sh1tty lounge in T1 in Dublin but that's not enough reason not to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I did Dublin - Istanbul twice with Turkish Airlines - very friendly crew, nice food, absolutely no complaints. A very nice airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

feargale wrote: »
    I did Dublin - Istanbul twice with Turkish Airlines - very friendly crew, nice food, absolutely no complaints. A very nice airline.

Completely agree, very friendly and helpful, decent food too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I flew went them earlier in the year to Kathmandu via Istanbul. Istanbul is a headwreck of an airport, queues are massive, staff rude and unhelpful, was 2 hours in the queue through immigration and that was with a pre-purchased e-visa. The whole system of that is a complete joke. As for the airline itself, grand until Istanbul but shabby enough service to Kathmandu and the entertainment system wasn't working on the way back at all. I looked online and this happens quite often apparently on their flights back from Asia. I wouldn't fly with them again if I could help it. The food was good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flew into Dublin with them in March, looked at them for my next trip, but the cost had DOUBLED.... I did like them and their connection times were excellent, but I'm not paying 1300 each for two 4.5 hour trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also be careful, I was waiting for a flight to Dublin and they changed the gate. Some of us almost missed the flight as there were no announcements.

dingding wrote: »
    Also be careful, I was waiting for a flight to Dublin and they changed the gate. Some of us almost missed the flight as there were no announcements.

That's an airport issue and can happen with any airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Best airplane food I have ever eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

May be worth signing up to Aegean Airlines 'Miles & Bonus' program in advance of that trip OP.

Depending on your fare class, that itinerary could go a long way toward earning you Gold status across Star Alliance carriers for the next 3 years (Lounge Access +1 guest / Priority Boarding /Extra Baggage Allowance / Dedicated Check-in etc.).

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/06/10/star-alliance-gold-status-aegean-airlines/

Yamanoto wrote: »
    May be worth signing up to Aegean Airlines 'Miles & Bonus' program in advance of that trip OP.

Depending on your fare class, that itinerary could go a long way toward earning you Gold status across Star Alliance carriers for the next 3 years (Lounge Access +1 guest / Priority Boarding /Extra Baggage Allowance / Dedicated Check-in etc.).

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/06/10/star-alliance-gold-status-aegean-airlines/

I think you mentioned that on another thread recently. Pity you can't do it retrospectively - I've thousands of miles across various airlines that would be worth a lot more on the Aegean card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I think you mentioned that on another thread recently. Pity you can't do it retrospectively - I've thousands of miles across various airlines that would be worth a lot more on the Aegean card.

Yep, I feel that killbill.

Aegean's qualifying terms are extraordinarily generous by industry standards, as you've effectively 2 years to post 20k miles & you'll extend your gold status indefinitely by taking a qualifying flight on a Skyteam carrier once every 36 months. Bear the Aegean thing in mind if you've anything upcoming that would credit to it.

Done - great tip, cheers Yamanoto!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You can go back several months, possibly a year for flights. Also you can add booking.com reservations also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement