Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the grad visa define an internship?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about signing up to the grad visa, but I'm just wondering if I can actually make any money out of it?

The woman I spoke to in USIT said they are very strict about you only doing internships, but also said some people were getting 30k in my field (marketing/media) this year? So are fully-paid jobs okay as long as the company calls it an internship for visa purposes? I just don't want to be surviving on $300 a month or something.

Also, since I'm getting quite close to the one year deadline, would it be possible to sign up for a level 6 course, go to a few classes, and apply on the back of it? Or would the US embassy reject me for being cheeky?

It seems like a great experience, but I don't have a huge amount of money saved if things go pear-shaped. Friends have said that in California, you can change your job after a while and work in a cafe and nobody will call you on it, but I reckon that would void my health insurance, and that´s not a risk I want to take either.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I don't believe there are any rules regarding pay for an internship. It's entirely up to your employer, but they can't pay you less than what is listed on the DS2019.

If you did change your job to something that doesn't meet the requirements and doesn't have correct approval then that's really the same as working illegally and all that goes with that, wouldn't be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Thanks for the response.

So a fully paid graduate position would be considered an internship, provided I can show how it leads to personal development etc?

USIT are okay with that I assume? I imagine they don't expect most people to survive on intern pay for a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

sron wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Also, since I'm getting quite close to the one year deadline, would it be possible to sign up for a level 6 course, go to a few classes, and apply on the back of it? Or would the US embassy reject me for being cheeky?

Regarding this...
    You need to be a recent graduate from a full time education (within 1 years, min degree level) from a recognised ROI or NI college/University. All applicants must show proof of return to Ireland.

http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-work-visa/faqs

Advertisement