Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a Storage Unit

Options
  • 02-09-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I am having difficulty getting insurance on a unit in a commercial park that we are using for storage e.g. some old furniture, boat trailers in summer and boats in winter. I am only looking for building cover not contents as the boats are insured under their own policies and the other contents have no real value.

This is a modern unit (2007) that was previously used by a builder for storage.

Can anyone recommend a good insurer for the unit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Try a good broker is all I would suggest. With regard to the boats, make sure your insurer knows where you are storing them, as most companies like to see them at your home or in an approved boatyard when out of commission

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I've tried a few and the ONLY quote I got was over €800!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

do you own the unit or are you leasing/renting? If the latter, can you approach owner/landlord to insure the building. If it is part of a larger complex, is there a management company who might be able to help. Another suggestion is to talk to other occupiers of units and see who they are insured with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I've tried a few and the ONLY quote I got was over €800!

For what sum insured?

To be honest, not many insurers offer commercial policies for less than that. Sometimes, you can get lucky with the local FBD man, who generally have more freedom to quote off the scale

Advertisement